NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Americans Are Confused After Watching Father Ted For The First Time

+3
eddie
Vintage
Raggamuffin
7 posters

Go down

Americans Are Confused After Watching Father Ted For The First Time Empty Americans Are Confused After Watching Father Ted For The First Time

Post by Guest Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:25 pm

"Uh oh, he just pushed a person in a wheel chair down" and "were we supposed to laugh at that?" are just some of the remarks made after a group of Americans watched 'Father Ted' for the first time.The US never seemed to have a problem with 'Downton Abbey' but watch as it takes all of their brain power to try and understand the 90's sitcom.
The show, about three priests who live on Craggy Island, features comedy that only non-Brits could find questionable...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/08/19/americans-are-confused-after-watching-father-ted-for-the-first-time_n_8007880.html

Back to top Go down

Americans Are Confused After Watching Father Ted For The First Time Empty Re: Americans Are Confused After Watching Father Ted For The First Time

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:26 pm

I didn't like Father Ted.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Americans Are Confused After Watching Father Ted For The First Time Empty Re: Americans Are Confused After Watching Father Ted For The First Time

Post by Guest Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:30 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I didn't like Father Ted.

each to their own I guess, but I loved it though I guess being half Irish helps.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:32 pm

Cuchulain wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I didn't like Father Ted.

each to their own I guess, but I loved it though I guess being half Irish helps.

Maybe. I didn't like Red Dwarf either, and everyone else seems to love that. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:36 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

Maybe. I didn't like Red Dwarf either, and everyone else seems to love that. Laughing

Out of interest what are your favorite British sitcoms?

In fact this goes out to everyone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:36 pm

There weren't enough characters in Father Ted, and that daft bloke got on my nerves. I liked him in My Hero though.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:41 pm

Cuchulain wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Out of interest what are your favorite British sitcoms?

In fact this goes out to everyone.

Ooooh, quite a few.

Yes, Prime Minister
Keeping up Appearances
The Thin Blue Line
Ab fab
Rising Damp
The Brittas Empire
Butterflies
Are you being served

I never liked Only Fools and Horses or Bread - two more sitcoms which everyone likes except me. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:43 pm

Dad's Army of course - that goes without saying.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:45 pm

I can relate to the Americans on that, I have the same problem with American Dad.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:47 pm

Rising Damp was excelleng agree with many you have stated.
Fawlty Towers is a must as well.
Blackadder defo and I love Only fools and horses.
Porridge,
Open all Hours

So many I like I have to say.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:49 pm

I quite like some American sitcoms.

Friends was good up to a point, and then it went silly. Same with Frasier. That one with Ted whatshisname was good too - not the one in a bar, the one where he was a doctor.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:55 pm

Yeah I like many American ones also and again so many to choose from and will catch up more on this tomorrow.

So have a good one

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:56 pm

Oh Big Bang Theory is one of my favs before I go

Night

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:14 pm

Not keen on British sit coms, i find most of them so unfunny

Like fools and horses and the Young ones

I prefer American comedy
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:24 pm

there is only a few but Aussie, New Zealand and Canadian I like best.

British are either hit or miss, some are really good others are just not funny like that mrs browns boys.
Brits do the best mystery 'who done it' shows.

Americans produce so much it is hard to say I don't really like most of the mainstream stuff like big bang theory. there is some funny show though
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:29 pm

veya_victaous wrote:there is only a few but Aussie, New Zealand and Canadian I like best.

British are either hit or miss, some are really good others are just not funny like that mrs browns boys.
Brits do the best mystery 'who done it' shows.

Americans produce so much it is hard to say I don't really like most of the mainstream stuff like big bang theory. there is some funny show though

The Big Bang Theory is just brilliant.

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:47 am

Black Adder
Mrs Browns Boys
Monty Python
Red Dwarf
Dads Army

Many more but can't think of them.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:07 am

nicko wrote:Black Adder
Mrs Browns Boys
Monty Python
Red Dwarf
Dads Army

Many more but can't think of them.

Good choices Nicko.
Monty Python Films also to add to that, as lets face it about the most funniest film ever has to be the "Life of Brian"

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:50 am

Vintage wrote:I can relate to the Americans on that, I have the same problem with American Dad.

That's about as funny as a burning orphanage. There have been some great American ones like Cheers, Golden Girls, Frasier and Taxi but some like Everybody Loves Raymond and Two and a half Men etc are dire.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:05 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I quite like some American sitcoms.

Friends was good up to a point, and then it went silly. Same with Frasier. That one with Ted whatshisname was good too - not the one in a bar, the one where he was a doctor.

They get stale after a while. Becker was an American television sitcom about a doctor starring Ted Danson, that ran from 1998 to 2004 on CBS...that's what you were looking for, Raggs. But I personally think Cheers eclipsed it.

You and I agree on Ab Fab. Absolutely one of the greatest.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:07 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I quite like some American sitcoms.

They get stale after a while.  Becker was an American television sitcom about a doctor starring Ted Danson, that ran from 1998 to 2004 on CBS...that's what you were looking for, Raggs.  But I personally think Cheers eclipsed it.

You and I agree on Ab Fab.  Absolutely one of the greatest.

That's the one - Becker. Cheers Quill. I wasn't keen on Cheers, but I'm not sure why.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:37 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

They get stale after a while.  Becker was an American television sitcom about a doctor starring Ted Danson, that ran from 1998 to 2004 on CBS...that's what you were looking for, Raggs.  But I personally think Cheers eclipsed it.

You and I agree on Ab Fab.  Absolutely one of the greatest.

That's the one - Becker. Cheers Quill. I wasn't keen on Cheers, but I'm not sure why.

The reason why I liked Cheers was it had a lot of hilarious, if raunchy stuff...same as Ab Fab, really. But it (Cheers) got too slick after a while. I liked it with Shelly Long, who was a perfect ditz in the character as Diane.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:57 pm

British -- Ab Fab and Couplings, which was WAY better than Friends if you ask me.

American -- 30 Rock, but I don't know how well that show's jokes would translate in other countries. Some of them didn't make it out of NYC Smile

Americans Are Confused After Watching Father Ted For The First Time Tv100524_30rock_560
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:04 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

The reason why I liked Cheers was it had a lot of hilarious, if  raunchy stuff...same as Ab Fab, really.  But it (Cheers) got too slick after a while.  I liked it with Shelly Long, who was a perfect ditz in the character as Diane.

I think that's what I disliked about Cheers - it was too slick.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:05 pm

What about The Office? I loved that, although I'm not sure it's a sitcom as such.

Royle Family too?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:20 pm

30 Rock...you had to have lived in New York City in order to understand it.  Someone from Indianapolis or Santa Fe? Americans Are Confused After Watching Father Ted For The First Time 2787774761 scratch

Last edited by Original Quill on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:21 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:What about The Office? I loved that, although I'm not sure it's a sitcom as such.

Royle Family too?

Never understood the attraction of these two Americans Are Confused After Watching Father Ted For The First Time Smiley17 The Royle Family? It's just a family watching the TV.

Loved Ab Fab and Friends.  The Vicar of Dibley, One Foot in the Grave, Men Behaving Badly, Bottom. I I love you slapstick comedy!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:29 pm

The British 'Office' was genius, some of the darkest comedy I've ever seen. The American version was completely different in tone but could have its moments.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:47 pm

I Know this is not a sitcom but I loved the duo's comedy acts and came across this the other day, its not the same as the having Ronnie Barker, but Harry did a good job here and made me laugh as sometimes simple comedy is just the best.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:50 pm

Still the original is best.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:03 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:What about The Office? I loved that, although I'm not sure it's a sitcom as such.

Royle Family too?

Loved both of them actually.
The Office is probably one of the best comedies ever!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down