NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McDonald's manager 'sacked for cutting black workers' hours because of their race'

Go down

McDonald's manager 'sacked for cutting black workers' hours because of their race'  Empty McDonald's manager 'sacked for cutting black workers' hours because of their race'

Post by Guest Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:36 am

A manager at a McDonald’s branch in Birmingham has reportedly been sacked after he cut workers’ hours because they are black. University student Divine Tenn, 18, who has worked at a Birmingham branch since 2014, said she and fellow black employees noticed their shifts were being cut without explanation in July. Tenn has since quit her job at the fast food giant in protest, after she recorded her manager Jaskaran Singh Khela saying that “The black people can’t take no shifts – they’re not performing.” He said the new policy applied to the store’s 20 black members of staff, according to the Sunday Mirror.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/mcdonalds-manager-sacked-for-cutting-black-workers-hours-because-of-their-race-10458085.html

Back to top Go down

McDonald's manager 'sacked for cutting black workers' hours because of their race'  Empty Re: McDonald's manager 'sacked for cutting black workers' hours because of their race'

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:44 am

There's not much detail in that article, so I'd like to know how many people were employed there to begin with, and the reasons he gave for cutting the hours when it was investigated.

In that article, there's a link to another article where a black delivery driver was replaced with a white one because the customer didn't want black people coming to her home. It was in the US, and I'm not familiar with the laws there, but would that be illegal in the UK? It's illegal to refuse to serve someone on the grounds they're black, but is it illegal to refuse to accept service from a black person?

I find it appalling that someone would object to a person delivering to them on the grounds of their race by the way - before someone says anything. I'm just curious about the law on that.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

McDonald's manager 'sacked for cutting black workers' hours because of their race'  Empty Re: McDonald's manager 'sacked for cutting black workers' hours because of their race'

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:25 am

I've had a look at a few other articles, and apparently black people at that branch make up a third of the staff.

Apparently, Divine Tenn recorded what the chap said, so I'm thinking that there's no mistake here. That recording is not in the public domain unfortunately.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:09 am

The Assistant Manager has been sacked, but he said that instructions were handed down to him to cut the hours of black employees. I can't find anything about that, but I presume that was investigated and turned out to be untrue.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down