NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speak English Or Lose Your Benefits

+2
Irn Bru
veya_victaous
6 posters

Go down

Speak English Or Lose Your Benefits Empty Speak English Or Lose Your Benefits

Post by Guest Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:01 am

13th December 2013

Just seen it on Sky News - can't find it on the internet but i'm sure more will follow.

Good news? People have been calling for this for years.

Please discuss.

Back to top Go down

Speak English Or Lose Your Benefits Empty Re: Speak English Or Lose Your Benefits

Post by veya_victaous Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:51 am

but you gotta like speaks proper right?
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Speak English Or Lose Your Benefits Empty Re: Speak English Or Lose Your Benefits

Post by Irn Bru Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:55 am

Am no huvim that. It's just no right.

Slàinte mhath
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:26 am

More detail - let's hope they go through with this:

All migrants will have to demonstrate a ‘reasonable standard of English’ or be barred from claiming benefits, says Iain Duncan Smith.

The Work and Pensions Secretary announced that tests applied to those who end up claiming any work-related welfare payments will be tightened.

For the first time, migrants are to be quizzed about their language skills to determine whether these are likely to prove a barrier to them finding employment.

In order to pass the more rigorous test, they will have to answer up to 100 new individually-tailored questions, and submit more evidence before they will be allowed to make a claim.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2522877/Ian-Duncan-Smith-says-migrants-pass-English-tests-claiming-benefits.html#ixzz2nLTZVkQ8
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:31 am

BigAndy9 wrote:More detail - let's hope they go through with this:

All migrants will have to  demonstrate a ‘reasonable standard of English’ or be barred from claiming benefits, says Iain Duncan Smith.

The Work and Pensions Secretary  announced that tests applied to those who end up claiming any work-related welfare payments will be tightened.

For the first time, migrants are to be quizzed about their language skills to determine whether these are likely  to prove a barrier to them finding employment.

In order to pass the more rigorous test, they will have to answer up to 100 new individually-tailored questions, and submit more evidence before they will be allowed to make a claim.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2522877/Ian-Duncan-Smith-says-migrants-pass-English-tests-claiming-benefits.html#ixzz2nLTZVkQ8

Too late, Andy. Didge ha pipped you on the post on this one.

Smile 
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:32 am

Irn Bru wrote:

All migrants will have to  demonstrate a ‘reasonable standard of English’ or be barred from claiming benefits, says Iain Duncan Smith.

The Work and Pensions Secretary  announced that tests applied to those who end up claiming any work-related welfare payments will be tightened.

For the first time, migrants are to be quizzed about their language skills to determine whether these are likely  to prove a barrier to them finding employment.

Smile 

Sorry Iron, you're wrong.

:D 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am

Well, hope they work out a better test than the last one they did, that British people couldn't answer. I wonder how many really successful people there are in Britain, whose parent came here not being able to speak a word of English, James Caan springs to mind. And I wonder how many English speaking people have gone to live abroad without knowing the language, learnt it while they were there and then made a success, even if they did stumble along a bit to begin with. And will this apply to people who are genuine asylum seekers who would be killed or tortured if they went home?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:36 am

I doubt it will apply to genuine asylum seekers sassy.

As for looking abroad - well which country are you thinking of - do they have the same resources or more than here - are they overcrowded?

The government are putting rules in place for today and tomorrow, not 50 years ago.

Actually, what they are doing is listening to the electorate - it's what everybody wants. And the only reason they are listening is because they are cr4pping themselves.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:36 am

BigAndy9 wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:

Smile 

Sorry Iron, you're wrong.

Nope

:D 
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:39 am

BigAndy9 wrote:I doubt it will apply to genuine asylum seekers sassy.

As for looking abroad - well which country are you thinking of - do they have the same resources or more than here - are they overcrowded?

The government are putting rules in place for today and tomorrow, not 50 years ago.

Actually, what they are doing is listening to the electorate - it's what everybody wants.  And the only reason they are listening is because they are cr4pping themselves.

I'm afraid where IDS is concerned 'I doubt it will' don't cut it Andy. Many people doubted he would be as crass and insensitive (which is putting it mildly) as he has been over many things, and as the man has been proved to be an outright liar, I wouldn't put anything past him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:40 am

Oh god, not another person trying to disrupt things.

Iron, I started this thread last night, didge started his this morning.

Please don't cause trouble.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:43 am

BigAndy9 wrote:Oh god, not another person trying to disrupt things.

Er - you were the one who kept bringing it up. Please stop, this is quite an interesting thread.

Back to top Go down

Post by ALLAKAKA Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:30 pm

And this is good news as only through dialogue can we achieve mutual understanding.

ALLAKAKA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:36 pm

Oh where is that huge rolling on the ground laughing smiley when you need it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:38 pm

Sassy we are all here to debate, no need to start anything.
I think it would be best if all had a clean slate, i would rather at least one place I post where there is no constant bickering.

thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:42 pm

PhilDidge wrote:Sassy we are all here to debate, no need to start anything.
I think it would be best if all had a clean slate, i would rather at least one place I post where there is no constant bickering.

thanks

Didge, please refrain from telling me what to post. That wasn't bickering, indeed Ben told Andy that he was 'full of it'. It was an observation of a ridiculous post. It is simply not possible to put aside what we know to that extent.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:47 pm

No you made a comment of no relevance with intent to start something.

Drop it, this is anew place where people want to debate, as you will end up spoiling it for the rest, debate with sense of which I know you can

thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by ALLAKAKA Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:51 pm

personally I've always made the effort to correct and help those that struggle to communicate in English, it does make life easier.

ALLAKAKA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:53 pm

ALLAKAKA wrote:

personally I've always made the effort to correct and help those that struggle to communicate in English, it does make life easier.

You have? You mean you actually talk to someone foreign LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:54 pm

PhilDidge wrote:No you made a comment of no relevance with intent to start something.

Drop it, this is anew place where people want to debate, as you will end up spoiling it for the rest, debate with sense of which I know you can

thanks

Very well said didge, the sniping at others posters has to drop.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:01 pm

ALLAKAKA wrote:

Oh I would agree with that being beneficial, as when I first moved to Spain and was learning the language, I found it most helpful when the Spanish corrected and encouraged me to speak their language better.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:04 pm

PhilDidge wrote:Sassy we are all here to debate, no need to start anything.

thanks

Thank you didge.

Back to top Go down

Post by ALLAKAKA Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:12 pm

Costa wrote:
ALLAKAKA wrote:

Oh I would agree with that being beneficial, as when I first moved to Spain and was learning the language, I found it most helpful when the Spanish corrected and encouraged me to speak their language better.

I find it strange that I can spend an evening with a group of Kurdish asylum seekers and have a pleasant dialogue in a good atmosphere , yet receive such hostility (hatred) from some people on here.

ALLAKAKA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:21 pm

ALLAKAKA wrote:
Costa wrote:
ALLAKAKA wrote:

I find it strange that I can spend an evening with a group of Kurdish asylum seekers and have a pleasant dialogue in a good atmosphere , yet receive such hostility (hatred) from some people on here.

I have just said to Sassy about leaving excess baggage at the door and now you are fuelling the situation and wishing to continue it.

Drop it, for once, can we have some debate without constant bickering no matter who started it.

Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:35 pm

I haven't seen this story but I have seen one about Holland requiring this. A couple who left Pakistan 16 years ago are doing the required course now as they have been in Holland presumably for 16 years and presumably interacted with the local community you'd think they would have picked up some Dutch wouldn't you and this is what people are fed up with, no one would expect flawless Dutch but a bit of an effort is not much to ask. Intergration doesn't seem to be working where you have large communities able to do their own thing in their own language and that before anyone says anything goes for Brits abroad as well.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:40 pm

Vintage wrote:I haven't seen this story but I have seen one about Holland requiring this. A couple who left Pakistan 16 years ago are doing the required course now as they have been in Holland presumably for 16 years and presumably interacted with the local community you'd think they would have picked up some Dutch wouldn't you and this is what people are fed up with, no one would expect flawless Dutch but a bit of an effort is not much to ask. Intergration doesn't seem to be working where you have large communities able to do their own thing in their own language and that before anyone says anything goes for Brits abroad as well.

I agree. I just think is very rude and ignorant of the settlers coming here or any other country and not bothering to learn the native language.
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:43 pm

Spot on. Stop spending money on interpreters (I think somebody has already said that).

Now, does this mean that we (hard working taxpayers, not the scroungers) are going to pay for adult English lessons (i'd be very surprised if we don't already)?

Also, make every other country learn English, just in case us English people emigrate.  Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:43 pm

Sassy wrote:

Er - you were the one who kept bringing it up.  Please stop, this is quite an interesting thread.

I agree with you Sassy as this BigMandy person seems to be such an objectional object who communicates such poppycock.Obviously she or he is one of those BNP type thugs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:47 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:Spot on.  Stop spending money on interpreters (I think somebody has already said that).

Now, does this mean that we (hard working taxpayers, not the scroungers) are going to pay for adult English lessons (i'd be very surprised if we don't already)?

Also, make every other country learn English, just in case us English people emigrate.   Laughing 

Darling if you are going to be so naive as to actually pay tax then that's your look out as paying tax is for the little people.Of which you are quite obviously one and possibly one of the most common.

If one would care to discuss tax issues then you may care to contact me for financial advice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:51 pm

Hi BigM, good to be posting with you again.

Razz 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:52 pm

£BILLION£ wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Er - you were the one who kept bringing it up.  Please stop, this is quite an interesting thread.

I agree with you Sassy as this BigMandy person seems to be such an objectional object who communicates such poppycock.Obviously she or he is one of those BNP type thugs.

lol! 

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:54 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:Hi BigM, good to be posting with you again.

Razz 

You too. I think Billion likes you.  lol! 
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:05 pm

In my capacity as a CEO in a large multi national London based coporation I employ many foreign nationals as opposed to their British counterparts usually for the reason that they are far more industrious and reliable.

Of course it goes without saying that this is common practice amongst other Executives of my level.

Back to top Go down

Post by ALLAKAKA Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:09 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
ALLAKAKA wrote:
Costa wrote:
ALLAKAKA wrote:

I have just said to Sassy about leaving excess baggage at the door and now you are fuelling the situation and wishing to continue it.

Drop it, for once, can we have some debate without constant bickering no matter who started it.

Thanks

Fuelling the situation by pointing out the negatives ? No matter who started it ? that is hardly a good basis for debate is it.

ALLAKAKA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:10 pm

£BILLION£ wrote:In my capacity as a CEO in a large multi national London based coporation I employ many foreign nationals as opposed to their British counterparts usually for the reason that they are far more industrious and reliable.

Of course it goes without saying that this is common practice amongst other Executives of my level.

Interesting, never knew CEO's were involved in the employment process of individuals?
Most companies employ people on their abilities or use agencies to cover a demand where there is a high turn over of staff.
What industry field are you in?

Back to top Go down

Post by ALLAKAKA Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:11 pm

£BILLION£ wrote:In my capacity as a CEO in a large multi national London based coporation I employ many foreign nationals as opposed to their British counterparts usually for the reason that they are far more industrious and reliable.

Do you not think that is bordering on Racism(Label )

ALLAKAKA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:12 pm

ALLAKAKA wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:
ALLAKAKA wrote:
Costa wrote:
ALLAKAKA wrote:

Thanks

Fuelling the situation by pointing out the negatives ? No matter who started it ? that is hardly a good basis for debate is it.

And yet you are still going on about something that is not needed.
So do you wish to continue  pointless bickering or debate?

Try to move on, thank you

Back to top Go down

Post by Cantankerous Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:42 pm

it seems like some people have their own agendas that have little to do with what anyone says.

What is wrong with asking people who wish to take money out of the system to demonstrate an ability to speak the language.
Cantankerous
Cantankerous
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:08 pm

Cantankerous wrote:it seems like some people have their own agendas that have little to do with what anyone says.

What is wrong with asking people who wish to take money out of the system to demonstrate an ability to speak the language.

Absolutely nothing

Back to top Go down

Post by Cantankerous Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:50 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
Cantankerous wrote:it seems like some people have their own agendas that have little to do with what anyone says.

Absolutely nothing
cor that was easier than expected  Cool 
Cantankerous
Cantankerous
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down