NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good community relations mean young Muslims in Scotland eschew extremism

Go down

Good community relations mean young Muslims in Scotland eschew extremism Empty Good community relations mean young Muslims in Scotland eschew extremism

Post by Guest Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:50 am

Unlike in England, there is mutual respect between the Scottish government, the Muslim communities and the police

My first emotion when I moved to London two weeks ago was not entirely excitement, I was slightly nervous. My fear in crossing the border from Scotland and coming to England largely stemmed from the UK government’s treatment of Muslims: David Cameron’s constant finger-pointing at Muslim communities for allowing Islamic extremism to happen. So I worried if I would be viewed with suspicion.

In Scotland, during Alex Salmond’s time as first minister, there always seemed to be a good relationship between Muslim communities and the government. It is estimated that there are around 75,300 Muslims (1.5% of the population) living in Scotland, compared with more than 2 million (4.8% of the population) in England and Wales.

I grew up in Edinburgh and have always seen myself as a Scottish Muslim. Rehan Raza, president of the Muslim Youth League UK, believes there is mutual respect between the Scottish government, the Muslim communities and the Scottish police. As a result, he says: “Our Muslim community [in Scotland] is much stronger than it is in England.”

According to a 2011 study of the experience of Scottish Muslims by the Scottish government, there is evidence to suggest English nationalism has an impact on whether a person expresses “Islamophobic” attitudes, whereas Scottish nationalism does not appear to. Cameron’s accusation that Muslim authorities in Britain are to blame for the “radicalisation” of British citizens who then go to fight for Islamic State is self-defeating and only fuels radicalisation. Young Muslims in Scotland are less attracted to the call of extremism. Only one of the 600 people reported to have left Britain for Syria appears to have come from Scotland.

It seems that political grievances at home are a major factor in radicalising young people, from perceived western imperialism and bias towards Israel. While these issues are not exclusive to England, the Scottish government seems more supportive of the Muslim perspective. During the bombing of Gaza last year, Holyrood was quick to condemn Israel, whereas Cameron came to Israel’s defence.

So far, it looks like I needn’t have worried. I’ve not encountered any hostility during my short time in England or been made to feel uncomfortable. But I don’t wear a hijab.

I do see how differently my cousin, a young woman in a hijab, is stared at as we walk around London’s streets. It’s something I’m not accustomed to in Scotland – and it speaks volumes about social acceptance.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jul/14/good-community-relations-young-Muslims-scotland-eschew-extremism

Amazing the difference a few hundred miles and a healthier attitute make.

Back to top Go down

Good community relations mean young Muslims in Scotland eschew extremism Empty Re: Good community relations mean young Muslims in Scotland eschew extremism

Post by Guest Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:57 am

What gobbledygook.
This fails to factor many points here.
For one there is only around 70,000 Muslims in Scotland.
Take then into account how many are of an age to join and the numbers decrease again.

Back to top Go down