NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US & UK Suspend Aid To Syrian Terrorists As Recommended By BigAndy9

3 posters

Go down

US & UK Suspend Aid To Syrian Terrorists As Recommended By BigAndy9 Empty US & UK Suspend Aid To Syrian Terrorists As Recommended By BigAndy9

Post by Guest Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:08 pm

11th December 2013

About time too!

The US and UK have suspended all "non-lethal" support for rebels in northern Syria, but not humanitarian aid.

A US embassy spokesman in Ankara said the decision was made after Islamist rebels seized bases belonging to the Western-backed Free Syrian Army (FSA).

Fighters from the Islamic Front, a new alliance of rebel groups, ousted FSA-aligned fighters from the Bab al-Hawa border crossing with Turkey last week.

The non-lethal aid includes medicine, vehicles and communications equipment.

The US and European countries have been reluctant to supply weapons and ammunition directly to rebel groups in Syria because of concerns that they might end up in the possession of jihadists affiliated to al-Qaeda.

However, they have reportedly facilitated secret arms shipments.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-25331241

Back to top Go down

US & UK Suspend Aid To Syrian Terrorists As Recommended By BigAndy9 Empty Re: US & UK Suspend Aid To Syrian Terrorists As Recommended By BigAndy9

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:17 pm

Glad to hear Obama and Cameron finally listened, Andy! Wink
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

US & UK Suspend Aid To Syrian Terrorists As Recommended By BigAndy9 Empty Re: US & UK Suspend Aid To Syrian Terrorists As Recommended By BigAndy9

Post by Guest Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:20 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Glad to hear Obama and Cameron finally listened, Andy! Wink

Well, I recommended it while I was chatting to my next door neighbour...

Still - good for the Syrian people!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:21 pm

Surely some of the many NSA cameras and microphones picked it up ... or maybe your neighbor talked to someone else over the phone  lol! 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:24 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Surely some of the many NSA cameras and microphones picked it up ... or maybe your neighbor talked to someone else over the phone  lol! 

I talk in code  Twisted Evil 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:33 pm

At any rate, I like the suspension of weapons sales. While I have no doubt there are some good people over there fighting Assad, I have a lot of doubt that the Western governments have any reliable way of knowing who the good guys really are ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:36 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:At any rate, I like the suspension of weapons sales. While I have no doubt there are some good people over there fighting Assad, I have a lot of doubt that the Western governments have any reliable way of knowing who the good guys really are ...

It's non-lethal aid.

They have never publicly given or sold arms to the terrorists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:38 pm

They sure don't Ben, which was one of the reasons they didn't go in and help the Syrian people, and that must have been a tough decision with what is being done to them, but when you can't tell the good from the bad how do you know you are helping?   The Syrian refugee numbers are sky high, and how their neighbours are coping taking in millions I have no idea, but they are.   The impact on the rest of the world is limited at the moment, but that won't be the case much longer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:47 pm

Having said that, just seen this:

Syria: Worries Over Refugees Caught In Storm
Aid agencies and the army are rushing supplies to thousands of Syrian refugees as a fierce winter storm takes hold in Lebanon.

The UN has said it is "extremely worried" about thousands of Syrian refugees caught in a winter storm in Lebanon.

Freezing temperatures, snow and torrential rain have hit northern Arsal, just across the border from Syria, where people fleeing the civil war live in flimsy shelters.

UN refugee agency the UNHCR has been working around the clock with the Lebanese army to hand out supplies including thermal blankets and plastic tarp.

"Many are really substandard," said UNHCR spokeswomen Lisa Abou Khaled.

The shelters are usually little more than plastic sheeting nailed to wooden frames.

Agencies are now stockpiling items such as blankets and mattresses to help refugees whose shelters might be flooded or destroyed by the storm, which has been nicknamed Alexa.

Nightime temperatures in the Arsal region are forecast to be -4C (28F) with three to five inches (7.6 -13cm) of snow predicted.

More than 20,000 refugees have arrived in the area in the last few months, overwhelming the small town.

"The Syrian refugees here are shivering with cold, especially the ones in tents," said Wafiq Khalaf, a member of Arsal's municipal council.

"Water has come into the tents from the roofs and from the ground where there is flooding," he told the AFP news agency.

"At the moment there is more than 10cm of snow on the ground, but more is expected," he said.

More than 835,000 Syrian refugees are registered in Lebanon but the real number is thought to be more than one million.

More at: http://news.sky.com/story/1180871/syria-worries-over-refugees-caught-in-storm

Poor things, as if they haven't suffered enough.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:46 pm

I guess I really don't see what the difference would be between humanitarian aid and, for example, medicine  :\\:[:

But I don't see meddling and nation-building doing any good. I think problems are usually best solved by those actually experiencing them, regardless of what support they might get.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:15 pm

scratch  scratch  scratch  scratch 
Ok you know what I could have sorted it out WHO  Cool  Cool  you can trust.

to get a gun you got to eat some bacon and drink a beer.  jocolor  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz  Wink 
that will stop most of the fundamentalists

veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:47 pm

veya_victaous wrote: scratch  scratch  scratch  scratch 
Ok you know what I could have sorted it out WHO  Cool  Cool  you can trust.

to get a gun you got to eat some bacon and drink a beer.  jocolor  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz  Wink 
that will stop most of the fundamentalists

I don't think so veya, as they are all muslims, the 'rebel' rebels, the Al Qeda rebels and Assad's troops. None of them would eat the bacon or drink the beer. Not a very good test of fundamentalists I'm afraid.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:22 pm

lolz
My sister in law is Muslim
She and her brother Eat bacon and drink beer
Because Secularism is Better, and Bacon is tasty  Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing 

And that is the point the Rebels are split into two groups Muslims and Secularists. And they are Secularists that is willing to Shoot at Muslims and Assad troops to bring secularism to their nation (that is why they are asking for guns). So I would guess they are willing to Embrace one of the many Secular freedoms (freedom to eat what you want) if that is also going to get them weapons to help their struggle.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:23 pm

PLUS I was joking  Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:25 pm

I just had this vision of you walking round waving a piece of bacon LOL Wouldn't it be nice is life was that simple.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:17 am

BigAndy9 wrote:11th December 2013

About time too!

The US and UK have suspended all "non-lethal" support for rebels in northern Syria, but not humanitarian aid.

A US embassy spokesman in Ankara said the decision was made after Islamist rebels seized bases belonging to the Western-backed Free Syrian Army (FSA).

Fighters from the Islamic Front, a new alliance of rebel groups, ousted FSA-aligned fighters from the Bab al-Hawa border crossing with Turkey last week.

The non-lethal aid includes medicine, vehicles and communications equipment.

The US and European countries have been reluctant to supply weapons and ammunition directly to rebel groups in Syria because of concerns that they might end up in the possession of jihadists affiliated to al-Qaeda.

However, they have reportedly facilitated secret arms shipments.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-25331241

Just as well Miliband stopped Cameron in his tracks in his rush to war.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down