NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Earthquake Of 4.2 Magnitude Strikes Coast

2 posters

Go down

Earthquake Of 4.2 Magnitude Strikes Coast Empty Earthquake Of 4.2 Magnitude Strikes Coast

Post by Guest Fri May 22, 2015 5:23 am

An earthquake of 4.2 magnitude has hit Kent, shaking buildings and waking up residents.

The tremor was recorded at a depth of 9.5 miles (15km) about 1.4 miles (2km) west of Ramsgate in Thanet shortly after 3am.

Simon Moores, who lives in Westgate close to Margate, told Sky News: "There was a sudden, violent jarring and shaking.
Earthquake Of 4.2 Magnitude Strikes Coast Seismo10
Dogs started barking. It lasted for around 10 seconds.

"It was very disconcerting indeed."

Kent Police were inundated with calls about the incident.

The force tweeted: "We are aware of reports of tremors being felt by residents in East Kent & are monitoring the situation. No injuries have been reported."

Residents tweeted their reactions after being woken up by the quake.

Vikki Petts said: "So we just had a 4.3 magnitude earthquake in Kent and my housemates slept through the entire thing. certainly woke me up!"

Jonathan Tapp said: "Earthquake in East Kent and now can't get back to sleep.

"Despite months spent in NZ this is my first one that I've felt."

Iain Buchanan, of Ramsgate, said: "So I'm not going mental, my house shook due to an earthquake in Kent of all places. Thank god for 24 hrs news & social media to find out."

He added: "Lying in bed when the house suddenly shook.

"Thought something had collapsed outside, so got up to check.

"I've looked outside and all appears to be fine in the street. No damage that I can see. Will obviously see more later when it's lighter.

"Weird experience anyway."

The British Geological Survey tweeted: "Prelim data now online: earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/earthquakes/re... 4.2 magnitude earthquake nr Sandwich, Kent."

It is not the first time Kent has been hit by an earthquake.

Back in 2007, Folkestone experienced a tremor of magnitude 4.3.

The strongest quake recorded in the UK since measurements began was the 1931 Dogger Bank quake in the North Sea.

Striking 60 miles (97km) off the Yorkshire coast it had a magnitude of 6.1 and the effects were felt throughout Great Britain as well as Belgium and France.
Earthquake Of 4.2 Magnitude Strikes Coast Map-1-10
http://news.sky.com/story/1488670/earthquake-of-4-2-magnitude-strikes-coast

Back to top Go down

Earthquake Of 4.2 Magnitude Strikes Coast Empty Re: Earthquake Of 4.2 Magnitude Strikes Coast

Post by Guest Fri May 22, 2015 5:36 am

coincidence ?

Kent outlined as key battleground for fracking at four sites in Tilmanstone, Guston Court Farm, Shepherdswell and Woodnesborough

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/deal/news/fracking-our-future-hope-or-8502/

East Kent Against Fracking

Local Community campaign in East Kent against the development of Shale and Coalbed Methane Gas by using the controversial Hydraulic Fracturing or "Fracking" method in the district

http://eastkentagainstfracking.blogspot.co.uk/

i think not

Back to top Go down

Earthquake Of 4.2 Magnitude Strikes Coast Empty Re: Earthquake Of 4.2 Magnitude Strikes Coast

Post by Ben Reilly Fri May 22, 2015 5:47 am

Frack-quakes ... disasters like Deepwater Horizon ... these are the symptoms of the dying fossil fuels industry.

Those poor people in Oklahoma have had frack-quakes to go along with their record number of tornadoes this spring. What's sad is that the technology exists right now to reduce the frack-quakes, reduce the number of tornadoes and reduce the average global temperature.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri May 22, 2015 7:30 am

Man is killing the earth.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri May 22, 2015 7:42 am

eddie wrote:Man is killing the earth.

Absolutely. I took an environmental science class where the professor was talking about species that have over-evolved -- a classic example is a species of mountain goat where the males fought each other every rutting season, but in this species the males were favored for larger and larger antlers ... until it got to the point where they could barely support the weight of them. I think humankind has gotten to that point, where we're so clever that we can destroy the planet but not yet clever enough to stop ourselves.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri May 22, 2015 7:46 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Absolutely. I took an environmental science class where the professor was talking about species that have over-evolved -- a classic example is a species of mountain goat where the males fought each other every rutting season, but in this species the males were favored for larger and larger antlers ... until it got to the point where they could barely support the weight of them. I think humankind has gotten to that point, where we're so clever that we can destroy the planet but not yet clever enough to stop ourselves.

I have always said that overwhelmingly, and when you strip it down to the bone and marrow, it is man's greed that is at the heart of every bad thing in the world.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri May 22, 2015 7:53 am

eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

I have always said that overwhelmingly, and when you strip it down to the bone and marrow, it is man's greed that is at the heart of every bad thing in the world.

I would agree, just I'd follow that through to the point where you accept that people are going to do things that profit them in some way. I'd argue that terrorists are not so different from oil companies in that they're pursuing the path they think will benefit them, or whatever they care about, the most.

That's why I think the real key to change is to co-opt this tendency so that the things that benefit people are also the things that are best for all of us, if that makes any sense. In other words, make it profitable (whether economically or socially) to be a good person who leaves the world a better place. Let's make a market for altruism, let's make sex symbols out of the people who can do the most to end world hunger and poverty, let's put the people who can figure out how to wean us off of fossil fuels on the covers of magazines and make TV shows where the heroes are teachers who inspire the next generation.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri May 22, 2015 8:00 am

Amen to that! Totally agree! We have become these humans that find watching The Kardashians - possibly the dumbest, Shallowest and most vain of all humans (and they're not the by an means the only ones!) - so entertaining and normal! I look at people like this and I actually feel sad that this is the level of entertainment that we have stooped to.
There are swathes of people, not only the young, who follow these people like deities! It worries me and I just find myself scornful of them ever being the type of public who could actually string a sentence or raise a child properly!

Why not mKe a programme about young scientists, (And I'm not mad keen on science), going through their training and learning and let's follow their lives, if we should have to "follow" people Rolling Eyes which we seem obsessed to do these days!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri May 22, 2015 8:42 am

Way back in 2000 I talked to a well-respected actor about this and found he was passionate about it. Network execs have found that they can put awful, bad, mentally unhealthy stuff on TV and get a big audience for it, so they do it. They don't care that they're not nurturing the next gen of actors and writers who could go on to create the next Breaking Bad, not at all.

By the way, that entertainment veteran was this guy:

Earthquake Of 4.2 Magnitude Strikes Coast MV5BMTQ1MTIzMzM1MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNjQ3ODI1._V1_SY317_CR12,0,214,317_AL_

Best interview I've ever gotten to do, probably. What he was getting at is the inescapable banality that TV execs are looking to force on us in order to get rich.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 22, 2015 9:09 am

lol slept through this, but others I know were woken up. I felt the one a few years back which was on a Sunday if I remember right.

Just to give you an idea how many the UK has:

http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/earthquakes/recent_uk_events.html

As seen this is a regular event.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri May 22, 2015 10:33 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Way back in 2000 I talked to a well-respected actor about this and found he was passionate about it. Network execs have found that they can put awful, bad, mentally unhealthy stuff on TV and get a big audience for it, so they do it. They don't care that they're not nurturing the next gen of actors and writers who could go on to create the next Breaking Bad, not at all.

By the way, that entertainment veteran was this guy:

Earthquake Of 4.2 Magnitude Strikes Coast MV5BMTQ1MTIzMzM1MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNjQ3ODI1._V1_SY317_CR12,0,214,317_AL_

Best interview I've ever gotten to do, probably. What he was getting at is the inescapable banality that TV execs are looking to force on us in order to get rich.

It's a terrible shame as they can make or break a generation IMO
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down