NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Commons has more gay MPs than any other parliament in the world

2 posters

Go down

Commons has more gay MPs than any other parliament in the world Empty Commons has more gay MPs than any other parliament in the world

Post by Guest Thu May 14, 2015 7:34 pm

The House of Commons has more gay MPs than any other parliament in the world, it has been found.
There are now 32 openly gay, lesbian and bisexual MPs - far higher than in Sweden and Holland, countries known for having a liberal attitude to gay rights.
The number is up from 26 in the last parliament but means just under five per cent of all members are gay, still below the national average.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11604778/Commons-has-more-gay-MPs-than-any-other-parliament-in-the-world.html

Back to top Go down

Commons has more gay MPs than any other parliament in the world Empty Re: Commons has more gay MPs than any other parliament in the world

Post by Eilzel Fri May 15, 2015 10:54 am

It always amazes me how the Tories have the highest representation of gay MPs, they were largely a homophobic party until within the last 10 years. Still, the statistic here just goes to show how accepting the UK is and how far we've come since even the 1990s.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Commons has more gay MPs than any other parliament in the world Empty Re: Commons has more gay MPs than any other parliament in the world

Post by Guest Fri May 15, 2015 10:57 am

Eilzel wrote:It always amazes me how the Tories have the highest representation of gay MPs, they were largely a homophobic party until within the last 10 years. Still, the statistic here just goes to show how accepting the UK is and how far we've come since even the 1990s.

Morning Eilzel

It does show how much the Uk has progressed and to me is leading the way.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Fri May 15, 2015 12:16 pm

Lucifer Angel of Light wrote:The House of Commons has more gay MPs than any other parliament in the world, it has been found.
There are now 32 openly gay, lesbian and bisexual MPs - far higher than in Sweden and Holland, countries known for having a liberal attitude to gay rights.
The number is up from 26 in the last parliament but means just under five per cent of all members are gay, still below the national average.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11604778/Commons-has-more-gay-MPs-than-any-other-parliament-in-the-world.html
why on earth should it make a jot of difference if an MP is gay, straight or celibate, male or female. all the public should require is the best man/woman for the job, not a quota to fill.

by the way, why aren't labour having an all women short list for the leaders job? is Len too much of misogynist to choose a woman?
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 15, 2015 12:22 pm

The Devil, You Know wrote:
Lucifer Angel of Light wrote:The House of Commons has more gay MPs than any other parliament in the world, it has been found.

why on earth should it make a jot of difference if an MP is gay, straight or celibate, male or female. all the public should require is the best man/woman for the job, not a quota to fill.

by the way, why aren't labour having an all women short list for the leaders job? is Len too much of misogynist to choose a woman?

I am not a labour supporter, so why do I care.
Second, it is important that you have representations of minority groups in Goverment, so they have a voice. I am all for people being voted in for their merit, of which all of these people clearly were.
Maybe you do not understand representation for minority groups, I hear they have l.ittle to no voice in Turkey, so this maybe a new experince for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down