NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Kabul schoolgirls, learning to ride a skateboard is pathway to liberation

2 posters

Go down

For Kabul schoolgirls, learning to ride a skateboard is pathway to liberation  Empty For Kabul schoolgirls, learning to ride a skateboard is pathway to liberation

Post by Irn Bru Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:53 pm

In one of the most oppressed countries for women in the world, girls have taken up skateboarding. Photographer Jessica Fulford-Dobson spoke to Lowenna Waters about capturing the new sport in Afghanistan.

In 2007, an Australian skateboarder called Oliver Percovich decided to give girls from the most autocratic and repressive societies the opportunity to skateboard.

He took Skateistan to Kabul, Afghanistan, using the urban street sport as a tool for empowerment, and a hook to get children aged 5 to 18 from poor and displaced Afghan families into full-time education. It now works with over 400 children per week. Pictures of them are now on display at London’s Saatchi gallery.

In a country where girls aren’t allowed to ride bikes, and where only 20 percent of women aged 15 to 24 are literate, Skateistan has made skateboarding the most popular sport for girls.

“I think initially when Oliver the founder turned up in Kabul with three skateboards, he was like the pied piper – he’d lend them to children and have to wrestle them back because they were enjoying it so much,” explains Jessica Fulford-Dobson. Since its beginnings, Skateistan has established the two largest sports centres in Afghanistan and opened centres in South Africa and Cambodia.

More about it here...

http://www.bjp-online.com/2015/04/jessica-fulford-dobson-skate-girls-of-kabul/

For Kabul schoolgirls, learning to ride a skateboard is pathway to liberation  Skate_10
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

For Kabul schoolgirls, learning to ride a skateboard is pathway to liberation  Empty If society won't let you have a bike -- ride a skateboard

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:09 am

For Kabul schoolgirls, learning to ride a skateboard is pathway to liberation  Slide_420064_5364238_free

They skate. They fall. They jump right back up again. These are skater girls of Kabul, ages five through 25, who partake in one of the most exhilarating, and often dangerous, sports in the world -- in a country where they're not allowed on bicycles.

These young women learned their skills at Skateistan, a school run by a German non-profit that teaches skateboarding to children in Afghanistan, Cambodia and South Africa, 40 percent of whom are young women. In Afghanistan, where 60 percent of the organization's students come from impoverished backgrounds, this opportunity is particularly precious, providing for many kids what is their only opportunity to play.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/23/jessica-fulford-dobson-skater-girls-kabul_n_7121546.html?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

For Kabul schoolgirls, learning to ride a skateboard is pathway to liberation  Empty Re: For Kabul schoolgirls, learning to ride a skateboard is pathway to liberation

Post by Irn Bru Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:52 am

Same story Ben

http://www.newsfixboard.com/t9127-for-kabul-schoolgirls-learning-to-ride-a-skateboard-is-pathway-to-liberation
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

For Kabul schoolgirls, learning to ride a skateboard is pathway to liberation  Empty Re: For Kabul schoolgirls, learning to ride a skateboard is pathway to liberation

Post by Guest Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:14 pm

As wonderful as this is, it just highlights the major problems in countries like Afghanistan where it is unbelievable that some countries would ban women from riding a bicycles.
Again is wonderful to see such an innitiative and bringing joy to some many people and it is to the Muslim women that we must look to bring about changes to the discrmination they face in many parts of the Islamic world. They are the mothers, the daughters, the sisters of many people and if they as they did earlier stand up to wrongs like with the poor women beaten to death, then there is hope for change.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:26 pm

Nemesis wrote:As wonderful as this is, it just highlights the major problems in countries like Afghanistan where it is unbelievable that some countries would ban women from riding a bicycles.
Again is wonderful to see such an innitiative and bringing joy to some many people and it is to the Muslim women that we must look to bring about changes to the discrmination they face in many parts of the Islamic world. They are the mothers, the daughters, the sisters of many people and if they as they did earlier stand up to wrongs like with the poor women beaten to death, then there is hope for change.

Indeed, and that is why recognising annual events like International Womens day is such an important platform to highlight these issues.

But as you say there is hope. Here's an example

Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:32 pm

What an absurd reasoning that the country needs a womans day?
No it needs an equality day, everyday to show all are equal, such days are daft in my opinion, as it is equality that should be the message and hence why you would have an equality day in a place which clearly lacks equality. International womens day is but one day, what the fuck are they supposed to do in regards to the other 364 days?

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:19 am

Nemesis wrote:What an absurd reasoning that the country needs a womans day?
No it needs an equality day, everyday to show all are equal, such days are daft in my opinion, as it is equality that should be the message and hence why you would have an equality day in a place which clearly lacks equality. International womens day is but one day, what the fuck are they supposed to do in regards to the other 364 days?

Don't be ridiculous. If you think that all the problems of equality (all equality in all walks of life) can be solved in one big bundle without focusing on specific issues then you are sadly detached from reality.

Let me quote you something from the Richard Dawkins Foundation...

For Kabul schoolgirls, learning to ride a skateboard is pathway to liberation  Dawkin12

Is he absurd? Is he wrong and you are right?
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:32 am

Here's another one...

https://richarddawkins.net/2015/03/international-womens-day-google-doodle-and-a-message-from-leon/
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:46 am

My goodness, I seriously would never take your advice on anything if you think Dawkins is the best person to advise on women, when he has the worst people skills.
Just because someone is admired for their knowledge and how they present good critical arguments on religion does not mean they understand how to tackle discrmination.

If that is all you can come up with, it clearly shows you have no comprehension on how to tackle equality. Or even worse you choose a specific person as your argument when this is not their field.

Again this is about changing culures and reforming a religion that like others discrminates against women, which is why you fail to understand the source of the discrmination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:41 am

Nemesis wrote:My goodness, I seriously would never take your advice on anything if you think Dawkins is the best person to advise on women, when he has the worst people skills.
Just because someone is admired for their knowledge and how they present good critical arguments on religion does not mean they understand how to tackle discrmination.

If that is all you can come up with, it clearly shows you have no comprehension on how to tackle equality. Or even worse you choose a specific person as your argument when this is not their field.

Again this is about changing culures and reforming a religion that like others discrminates against women, which is why you fail to understand the source of the discrmination.

Having people skills has not nothing to do with trying to end inequality – it’s more about recognising that inequality exists in the first place in the way women are treated under Islamic regimes which is what we are discussing and highlighting it to the world at large. What is important is providing a platform for ending it and International Women’s Day provides just that by reminding that world at large and all those who suffer under these barbaric regimes that this needs to end and there is support for it throughout the modern world. Sam Harris supports it, Dawkins supports it. The UN supports it. Countless organisations across the globe support it . Our own PM supported it with a reception to mark it in Downing Street and Miliband supported it as well but not you.

What you are suggesting is a pipe dream in that there is no place for women’s rights under Islam to be recognised annually outwith all inequality and that it should be wrapped up together meaning it’s equality for all or none at all until that is achieved.

Here’s what you said earlier...

and it is to the Muslim women that we must look to bring about changes to the discrmination they face in many parts of the Islamic world. They are the mothers, the daughters, the sisters of many people and if they as they did earlier stand up to wrongs like with the poor women beaten to death, then there is hope for change.

Well fat chance they are going to get support from you for change when you don’t think their plight is worthy of being marked annually. Get a grip man - women’s liberation is the greatest thread to islamism

You obviously do not care that much.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:48 am

Having people skills is fundemental in understanding people full stop showing again you are in position to provide advice on equality as you have to understand people in the first place

I never made any claims, othert than where Islam is held in a literal belief women will suffer discrmination just as they do within Christianity and Judaism where they hold literal beliefs. The sad fact is here you have no comprehension or understanding of religion itself, as if you did you would not be coming out with the crap that you are doing now.

The fundemental fact is that within these 3 faiths they are very much steeped in discrmination for religion and where we see this literal belief in practice woment are discrminated against.

Equality days are going to be better than any specific issue day as the issue is based around equality for all. I have no doubt you fail to understand this and using people that have good views el;se where does not mean they are going to be right on everything. If you think they are you clearly are quite the ignorameous I take you for

So for one do not invent made up bollocks as you are doing in regards to things I have not said and two learn religion before engaging in a dabte you know fuck all about.

Is that clear, because I do not waste my time with such ignorance which isa apparant that you are on the subject

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:55 am

Nemesis wrote:Having people skills is fundemental in understanding people full stop showing again you are in position to provide advice on equality as you have to understand people in the first place

I never made any claims, othert than where Islam is held in a literal belief women will suffer discrmination just as they do within Christianity and Judaism where they hold literal beliefs. The sad fact is here you have no comprehension or understanding of religion itself, as if you did you would not be coming out with the crap that you are doing now.

The fundemental fact is that within these 3 faiths they are very much steeped in discrmination for religion and where we see this literal belief in practice woment are discrminated against.

Equality days are going to be better than any specific issue day as the issue is based around equality for all. I have no doubt you fail to understand this and using people that have good views el;se where does not mean they are going to be right on everything. If you think they are you clearly are quite the ignorameous I take you for

So for one do not invent made up bollocks as you are doing in regards to things I have not said and two learn religion before engaging in a dabte you know fuck all about.

Is that clear, because I do not waste my time with such ignorance which isa apparant that you are on the subject

Where did I make anything up? Your views were fairly represented and you are on the wrong end of a tidal wave of opinion and belief that shows you are detached from the reality of it all in the way you would deal with this.

You haven't got a clue in the way to deal with this - you really don't.

Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:58 am

Irn Bru wrote:
Nemesis wrote:Having people skills is fundemental in understanding people full stop showing again you are in position to provide advice on equality as you have to understand people in the first place

Where did I make anything up? Your views were fairly represented and you are on the wrong end of a tidal wave of opinion and belief that shows you are detached from the reality of it all in the way you would deal with this.

I am not on the wrong end of anything.
Again if you claim women days are better than equality days, then you have no idea what you are talkking about because the problem that women are fighting for on women days is?
Equality
Thus is a day on equality covers more than just women, then the equality day is going to be of far more benefit.

I know this maybe a struggle for you to comprehend no doubt because you fail to understand again discrmination itself.

Now stop wasting my time with your utter ignorance, they are far more intelligence posters who pose far more intelligent questions than yourself.

Is like teaching a child to suck eggs with you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:05 am

Nemesis wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:

Again if you claim women days are better than equality days, then you have no idea what you are talkking about because the problem that women are fighting for on women days is?
Equality
Thus is a day on equality covers more than just women, then the equality day is going to be of far more benefit.

I know this maybe a struggle for you to comprehend no doubt because you fail to understand again discrmination itself.

Now stop wasting my time with your utter ignorance, they are far more intelligence posters who pose far more intelligent questions than yourself.

Yes, equality covers more than just women but that's no reason to deny them a platform like women's day to highlight their issues and in this case how it relates to religion and the barbaric regimes that the suffer under.

Well go and talk to these posters and also have a word with Sam and Richard and the world at large who support International Women's Day as I do.

You really are detached from the reality after all.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:09 am

Irn Bru wrote:
Nemesis wrote:

Equality

Yes, equality covers more than just women but that's no reason to deny them a platform like women's day to highlight their issues and in this case how it relates to religion and the barbaric regimes that the suffer under.

Well go and talk to these posters and also have a word with Sam and Richard and the world at large who support International Women's Day as I do.

Why?

Are you saying their plight is more worthy now of others then?

That defeats the whole issue of equality itself becuase you are placing one more worthy than another. The whole point about equality is for all and you place the onus on equality itself, because if you champion equality itself then you cover everyone, not just one group. That is why your thinking is so simple minded.
You comabt the whole issue by the problem of equality itself of which is the issue.

As seen your thinking is far removed from the actual issue and why people with your lack of understanding will never be sought for any advice. I think people would rather look to Nigel Farage than you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:16 am

Nemesis wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:
Nemesis wrote:

Equality

Why?

That defeats the whole issue of equality itself becuase you are placing one more worthy than another. The whole point about equality is for all and you place the onus on equality itself, because if you champion equality itself then you cover everyone, not just one group. That is why your thinking is so simple minded.
You comabt the whole issue by the problem of equality itself of which is the issue.

As seen your thinking is far removed from the actual issue and why people with your lack of understanding will never be sought for any advice. I think people would rather look to Nigel Farage than you.

No i'm not. All equalities should be tackled but so far you have not given me one really good reason why International Women's Day is not a good thing in the way it is being used to highlight the plight of all the women who suffer under these barbaric regimes. Tell you what - next time post something or start a thread about issues like the way women are treated under Islam just make sure that thread and any post covers all the issues of inequality where ever they exist.

That's basically what you are saying.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:20 am

Irn Bru wrote:
Nemesis wrote:

Why?

No i'm not. All equalities should be tackled but so far you have not given me one really good reason why International Women's Day is not a good thing in the way it is being used to highlight the plight of all the women who suffer under these barbaric regimes. Tell you what - next time post something or start a thread about issues like the way women are treated under Islam just make sure that thread and any post covers all the issues of inequality where ever they exist.

I have given the most important reason. You fail to comprehend why, which if you do not understand is why your level of thinking is so simple and never helps and issue.
Claiming I do not care about womens rights is you trying to get out of a debate you have come up short on.

So you think by highlighting something means I do not care?

It is a talking point for a debate, but again you tackle equality by making the biggest point on equality. So no I do not need to bring up anything else because that is a talking point to debate, you do not decided on anything and even more so from an ignorant child. So please run along and stop wasting my time with bullshit. If you cannot see the most pressing point is equality, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:28 am

Nemesis wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:
Nemesis wrote:

Why?

I have given the most important reason. You fail to comprehend why, which if you do not understand is why your level of thinking is so simple and never helps and issue.
Claiming I do not care about womens rights is you trying to get out of a debate you have come up short on.

It is a talking point for a debate, but again you tackle equality by making the biggest point on equality. So no I do not need to bring up anything else because that is a talking point to debate, you do not decided on anything and even more so from an ignorant child. So please run along and stop wasting my time with bullshit. If you cannot see the most pressing point is equality, you have no idea what you are talking about.

You do not care enough to recognise the plight of these women and you would deny them and the world at large the opportunity to call out for change and action to end it because women's liberation is the greatest threat to Ialimism.

Get with the programme just like most of the modern world has.

Right, Work beckons for me and I suspect you as well so I gotta go for now. Catch you later.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:30 am

Irn Bru wrote:
Nemesis wrote:

You do not care enough to recognise the plight of these women and you would deny them and the world at large the opportunity to call out for change and action to end it because women's liberation is the greatest threat to Ialimism.
Lie and fabrication made from the point of hysteria from someone losing a debate. Equality is the greatest threat to Islam by the way, as it stands to help stop discrmination against many people, again you fail to see. It would help, homosexuals, non-Muslims, Women, children, apostates the list is endless showing how cluelss you are.

Right, Work beckons for me and I suspect you as well  so I gotta go for now. Catch you later.

Yes stop wasting my time you ignorant wally, as seen you have not the first clue what you are talking abouit and invent bullshit because you are an idiot

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri May 01, 2015 9:21 pm

Nemesis wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:
Nemesis wrote:

Lie and fabrication made from the point of hysteria from someone losing a debate. Equality is the greatest threat to Islam by the way, as it stands to help stop discrmination against many people, again you fail to see. It would help, homosexuals, non-Muslims, Women, children, apostates the list is endless showing how cluelss you are.

Right, Work beckons for me and I suspect you as well  so I gotta go for now. Catch you later.

Yes stop wasting my time you ignorant wally, as seen you have not the first clue what you are talking abouit and invent bullshit because you are an idiot

I didn’t invent it. Those are the views of Richard Dawkins who may well not know how to handle ‘people’ but he does know a bit about Islam and the inequalities for the women who suffer under its barbaric and outdated practices – he’s written about it often enough hasn’t he? So is it lies and fabrication made from the point of hysteria from Dawkins then?

For Kabul schoolgirls, learning to ride a skateboard is pathway to liberation  Dawkin15

You’re on the wrong end of the argument and pretty much a lone voice in opposing International Women’s Day when it offers so much hope to those women who have to live under it.

It’s  time to get with the programme and wise up because you’re way is detached from reality and nothing more than a pipe dream in that you think their lives can improved at the same time that all inequalities are dealt with. You believe that there is no place for women to have this platform to highlight the disgusting conditions they suffer every single day of their lives and that says it all  - you just don’t care enough because for you it’s only about trying to win a debate effectively ignoring the plight of these women – shameful and disgusting sums it up.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 01, 2015 9:27 pm

You are just repeating yourself, again avoiding my points, seems to be  pattern here.
Equality is the point all discriminated groups strive to have.
Thus the main focus should then be on equality.
Hence why you struggle here Irn.

Not going to go around in circles again, as happened the other day.

Cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 01, 2015 9:30 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
Nemesis wrote:

I didn’t invent it. Those are the views of Richard Dawkins who may well not know how to handle ‘people’ but he does know a bit about Islam and the inequalities for the women who suffer under its barbaric and outdated practices – he’s written about it often enough hasn’t he? So is it lies and fabrication made from the point of hysteria from Dawkins then?

For Kabul schoolgirls, learning to ride a skateboard is pathway to liberation  Dawkin15

You’re on the wrong end of the argument and pretty much a lone voice in opposing International Women’s Day when it offers so much hope to those women who have to live under it.

It’s  time to get with the programme and wise up because you’re way is detached from reality and nothing more than a pipe dream in that you think their lives can improved at the same time that all inequalities are dealt with. You believe that there is no place for women to have this platform to highlight the disgusting conditions they suffer every single day of their lives and that says it all  - you just don’t care enough because for you it’s only about trying to win a debate effectively ignoring the plight of these women – shameful and disgusting sums it up.

Not the great Richard Dawkins, cowtowed to and worshipped by a certain poster lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 01, 2015 9:34 pm

One last point Irn

I do not oppose the day in all truthfulness, I just think the day would be better spent on all based around he issue of equality itself. You also then have a much larger contingent of different groups people for this acting together and not separately to the same issue of equality. 

Have good evening Irn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down