NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling

Go down

Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling  Empty Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling

Post by Guest Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:28 am

It often seems as though religion is bigger than ever, being at the root of so many of the world's conflicts, but philosopher and author of Against All Gods Anthony Grayling thinks this is paradoxically a sign that it is in its 'death throes'.

Discussing the apparent growth of both atheism and religion in an old episode of the Philosophy Bites podcast, still poignant today, he said: "I don't think myself that we're seeing a resurgence of religion, I think we're seeing a turning up of the volume mightily by the religious, which is something different.
"It may very well be a sympton of the fact that religion feels so under pressure that it's doing what it did back in the 16th century at the time of the Reformation when Catholicism, which had been the single dominent outlook, became very vigorous in its demise. These were death throes that caused those awful wars in the 16th and 17th centuries because they were losing their power and struggling to keep it."
He suggested that the cleaving away of religious and secular lifestyles could also be a factor.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/religion-isnt-growing-it-is-becoming-vigorous-in-its-demise-says-philosopher-ac-grayling-10178317.html

Back to top Go down

Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling  Empty Re: Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling

Post by Guest Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:36 am

very true , grace is spreading fast though Smile

Back to top Go down

Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling  Empty Re: Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling

Post by Guest Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:46 am

Is she eating to much then?  Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:01 pm

Brasidas wrote:Is she eating to much then?  Razz

do you want a thump lol lol!

i am catching on to who is who now , nice to see you Didge are you well ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:20 pm

Vicar of Dibley wrote:
Brasidas wrote:Is she eating to much then?  Razz

do you want a thump lol lol!

i am catching on to who is who now , nice to see you Didge are you well ?

Well you did walk into that one Dibs lol

Am very well thank you and nice to see you too

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down