NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Miko Peled talks to the GTI Gazette about Israel/Palestine

Go down

Miko Peled talks to the GTI Gazette about Israel/Palestine Empty Miko Peled talks to the GTI Gazette about Israel/Palestine

Post by Guest Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:26 am

The Israel Palestine conflict is one that seems to have been going on forever, seems to have no end, and for many here in Ireland, it may even be quite confusing. Historically, the narrative in western English speaking countries has been mostly unconditionally behind Israel; however recent events such as assaults on Gaza in July 2014, appear to have sparked new waves of opposition across the world as people struggle to come to terms with the horrifying images flowing in through social media depicting the excessive casualties resulting from the use of heavy artillery in civilian areas. Movements such as Boycott Divestment and Sanctions have risen in popularity, just as they once did in the case of South African apartheid, a spate of european countries have made the unprecedented move to symbolically recognize Palestine as a state, the ICC recently announced the launch of a preliminary investigation into possible war crimes committed by Israel including the July conflict, and the issue of settlements in the West bank. This has been met with fierce opposition from Israel who reacted immediately by freezing 127 million dollars worth of palestinian VAT taxes which it controls as the occupying power, and by vowing to do everything possible to undermine the International Criminal Court including appealing to their allies to cut its funding (E. Bradley 26/01/2015)

In this article we discuss an overview of the Israel Palestine situation, with Israeli peace activist Miko Peled.

Miko Peled is an Israeli citizen, a former soldier of the Israeli army; his grandfather was one of the founding fathers of the state of Israel back in the 1940s, and was a prominent Israeli General during the war of 1967.

Miko’s life was drastically impacted when his niece became a victim of a Palestinian suicide bomber. This tragic event forced Miko to look deeper into the roots of the conflict, to study history and find out about the formation of the state of Israel, and to do something which he says many Israelis never get to do: get to know the people on the other side of the wall, the Palestinians. Since then he has worked as a peace activist around the world. His book ‘The General’s Son’ tells the story of his remarkable life journey. Miko kindly devoted his time to answer some questions for me.

Miko sees Palestine as one country, occupied by an oppressive, colonial power which renamed it Israel and has been ruling it since 1948. Today there are 12 million people who reside in Palestine: the indigenous Palestinians who make up a little over half of the population and people like himself, Israeli Jews, who like the whites in South Africa are the occupiers and settlers.

While no two systems are identical, it is fair to say that Palestine is being governed by an Apartheid regime, which is called Israel. If you look at the laws that the colonial Zionist parliament, or Knesset, passed once they established their state, you will see that they established a clear distinction between the rights of Jews and the rights of the indigenous natives making it a state that offers exclusive rights for Jewish people in almost every aspect of life.

There are three areas in which the State of Israel discriminated against the Palestinian population as soon as the state was established: citizenship, naturalization and land. Citizenship rights for Jews are far more inclusive and broad than those granted to Palestinians who are citizens of the state (I am speaking of the period between 1948-1967). Naturalization for Jews is given quite easily while it is denied to Palestinians and the laws regarding the land claim that the country belongs to the Jewish people for perpetuity and therefore can only be sold, leased and used for the benefit of Jews.

There are about 40 laws on the Israeli law books that discriminate specifically against the Palestinian citizens of Israel. The Palestinians who live in the area occupied in 1967 have no rights whatsoever.

I asked him about the claim that the Jewish state has a right to exist.

“I disagree. The state has an obligation to serve its people. There is no ‘right’ for any state to exist. A state that only serves some of the people has no justification or ‘right’ to exist.

The conquest, ethnic cleansing and colonization of Palestine has been very intense from the beginning, and is continuing at a steady pace. I am not sure it is intensifying, I do think more people are paying attention now.”

I asked him if, in his experience as an activist, he has noticed a change in public opinion over time; has there been a shift in public opinion in recent times?

“Yes. Ten years ago you would not have seen a church in the US criticizing Israel, today several churches have voted for divestment and boycott. The solidarity movement has grown considerably and even in the US you hear the Palestinian voice very clear on campuses. Someone like me, with a clear anti-Zionist perspective would not have been invited to speak, and now this is very different. I believe that today we are in a situation that is comparable to the situation that existed in the mid 1980’s in regards to the struggle against apartheid in South Africa, by 1994 Nelson Mandela was president. “

The most important factors in changing peoples’ opinion, according to Peled has been social media and Palestinian resistance worldwide, i.e., BDS, Student organisations on campuses, churches, and the world losing its patience with Israel’s crimes.

Several countries around the world have recently opted for a symbolic recognition of a Palestinian state; many, in solidarity with the Palestinian people, see this as a good thing, however Miko takes a different view, and makes a very compelling case. He sees it as a cowardly act that is cynical and harmful. “Instead of dealing a real blow to the apartheid Zionist regime in Jerusalem, instead of sending a message that violence and racism will not be tolerated, they chose an empty gesture, they chickened out and voted for nothing.

People around the world can help by supporting BDS, student organisations, church groups; by getting people to stop speaking and accepting the Zionist narrative and two state solution. Buy my book, and others’ books.”

Peled sees Boycott Divestment and Sanctions as an effective, principled, non-violent form of resistance and it has a track record. Referencing the G4S campaign, Veolia and others as examples adding that it is well known Israel spends hundreds of millions of dollars each year to fight it.

For people who are confused about the issue, or afraid to take a stance because they have friends from Israel, Miko has a clear message “This is not a complicated issue, it is an issue of values. A person either accepts racism or opposes it, accepts colonialist violent regimes or opposes them. Israelis vote in large numbers and the Israeli government represents the will of the people. Israel’s actions are criminal, they are cold blooded murder and they must be stopped.”

There is only one solution according to Miko. The solidarity with Palestine and the recognition that the injustice in Palestine must be stopped is growing. BDS and other forms of resistance are getting stronger and have more to show. Like South Africa, the Zionist apartheid regime will be replaced by a democratic one that represents all the people in Palestine.

I asked him if it is too late, “It is too late for the countless dead, injured and homeless. But it is not too late for the rest. So we must act quickly before Israel kills more.

http://www.gtigazette.com/?p=23604

Absolutely amazing man who did the unthinkable and looked for the truth. Greatest respect for him.

Back to top Go down

Miko Peled talks to the GTI Gazette about Israel/Palestine Empty Re: Miko Peled talks to the GTI Gazette about Israel/Palestine

Post by Guest Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:33 am

CRITICISMS OF MIKO PELED
He's been linked to and quoted a lot lately. So it's only fair to critically evaluate what he says.
I watched one of Judith's many spam propaganda videos and by the 8 minute mark, right after the quote Judith provided, I closed the window. Why? Because Miko Peled went on to regurgitate a myth that I've repeatedly debunked.
He says that Jews were only 1/4 of the population (actually 1/3rd) yet were allocated the bigger half (54%). Which neglects two vital factors:
1. There would have also been Arabs in the half allocated to a Jewish state, a combined total of 53% of the population (getting 54% of the land).
2. Nearly 70% of the area allocated to the Jewish state was the Negev Desert.
Having twisted the facts, Peled then argues that the plan was doomed because of course the Arabs would reject such an unfair plan - and complains that the world dares criticize them for doing so.
Except, well, FAIL. 54% of the land (70% of which is the Negev Desert) to 53% of the combined population is not inherently unfair to the other 47%.

By Gary Gerofsky
The Israeli Apartheid Week (IAW) event last night at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario was the worst hate crime and incitement to violence I have witnessed in my years of observing IAW events. This episode was nothing more than pandering to a crowd of 200 loyal “sponsors” and “supporters,” including Independent Jewish Voices, whom mocked civilized values by bringing in a Jewish speaker urging for the elimination of the Jewish State. I am pleased to report that The Never Again Group (NAG) has the evidence on digital audio (click here and here for more). Miko Peled, who spoke at the IAW event, is an anti-Israeli hatemonger who ripped history asunder and provided his own version with Israel the worst villain on the face of the earth. He openly advocated hate against those he terms “Zionists.” Peled said that supporters of Israel would in the end be begging for forgiveness on their knees in front of a “tribunal,” evoking the memory of the Nuremberg trials. He used the platform to slander Israel.

McMaster now seems to be in the business of providing a platform where incitement and radicalization are acceptable and lies told about Israel and Jews are “just matters of opinion” deserving a shrug of the shoulders, a smile, a blank stare, and a reminder that the university is a place where all views, even slanderous hatred, are acceptable.
I honestly believe that Cordoba House (CH), also in Hamilton, is the epicenter of jihad and the spread of radicalism in Ontario. McMaster must deal with what is going on as a threat to the university and to targeted individuals. The planning going on at CH is certainly now a threat to Jews and I would recommend that Jewish students look elsewhere for their educational futures. I say this with deep concern over the lack of empathy with students and the lack of intelligent action. The university refuses to take a position supporting our Western and Canadian values; instead, they give the stage to radical Islamic values.
We can, with the recordings of Peled, refute every lie and expose this angry Jew-hater as an angry fraud; an historical revisionist and a diabolical anti-Semite. What we cannot do is prevent the Islamic radicalization of the campus and provide a safe and secure environment where all students have an opportunity to work and study together in peace. The administration must take steps to fulfill their obligations to the community.
I and another NAG member visited the “occupy” site in the corner of the university center and tried to leave some pamphlets outlining 10 reasons why Israel is not an “apartheid” state. We were met with angry students who said that that place was a Palestinian zone only — further evidence that a radical Islamic agenda is preventing free speech and preventing any opinions which challenge the jihadi mentality now flourishing on campus. Why is McMaster not showing a guiding hand, setting the tone and laying down some rules? Why do Jews, a small minority, always have to pay when movements such as fascism, communism, and Islamism rear their ugly heads? Why is the university being so willfully blind? What is the purpose of all those committees specifically set up to address these issues which they are ideologically incapable of addressing? Is it all window dressing and public relations?
I am still digesting the poison from last night. My gut instinct is to pursue this because, unfortunately, it has gone beyond ugly hate speech and entered into a new realm which involves incitement to violence. Perhaps the university feels that no boundaries have been crossed but we really do not know how nor where those changeable and sinking boundaries are set. Our Canadian government has made its position clear on anti-Semitism. The written rules of the university are clear, and I see that that the “[url=http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca/images/The McMaster Peace Initiative.pdf]peace initiative[/url]” signed a few years ago between the Jewish and Muslim groups has never been followed, but actually and constantly breached by IAW.
The university refuses to maintain an environment where Jewish students are not under threat. Therefore, it is time for others at higher levels to get involved to engage the university in a debate over its management practices.
Peled’s speech drew 200+ attendants to drink up his propaganda. These people feed off the nourishment they get from his promised destruction of Israel. Because of this vile behavior, we will have to pursue such incidents and developments with a great deal of seriousness. If Peled’s hate speech is not challenged, it is like having a serial killer on the loose spreading lies and propaganda that are targeting a particular group, not only the Jewish community, but the community at large. This man is taking his message to grade 8 classes in California. Those in the university who are supposed to monitor abuses are not concerned, perhaps for their own political or ideological reasons, about these abuses. If they are unable to understand the issues from normal Western perspectives, or if they can’t brush up on the lessons of history as they pertain to evil propaganda, then they are incapable of doing their jobs. Leftism must not be allowed to undermine McMaster so it becomes an enabler of Islamism and Jew hate. Were this happening to McMaster’s most favoured groups, this hate would have been brought to an end years ago.

Gary Gerofsky is a member of The Never Again Group.

Back to top Go down

Miko Peled talks to the GTI Gazette about Israel/Palestine Empty Re: Miko Peled talks to the GTI Gazette about Israel/Palestine

Post by Guest Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:39 am

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:47 am

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:09 am

Having read his book 'The General's Son' I am more than ever impressed with this man. It's shows completely the group insanity that Israel has become.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:14 am

I am more impressed that a son of terrorist leader is able to see past the extremism of Hamas and embrace democracy in Israel like many other Israeli Arabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:21 am

Thrilled to bits, have just started a conversation with him on Twitter, so I'm off, the joys of the internet, being able to talk to people you would never normally get to meet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:22 am

Why not ask him how antisemitism has risen because of some of his incorrect views on the formation of Israel?
Let me know his replies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down