NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andy Burnham: Jail private care home directors for mistreating pensioners

4 posters

Go down

Andy Burnham: Jail private care home directors for mistreating pensioners Empty Andy Burnham: Jail private care home directors for mistreating pensioners

Post by Guest Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:30 pm

Labour's shadow health secretary pledges to introduce a new charge of corporate neglect under which owners, managers and boards of private care homes could be jailed or fined for ill-treatment of people in their care.

Private care home directors who mistreat pensioners face prison under a Labour government, Andy Burnham has said.

The shadow health secretary pledged to introduce a new charge of corporate neglect under which owners, managers and boards of private care homes could be jailed or fined for ill-treatment of people in their care.

Those rules currently apply only to state homes. In the private sector, which provides 75 per cent of residential care, criminal charges can be brought solely against staff.

In an interview with The Telegraph, Mr Burnham said: “There is a worrying number of very poor providers profiteering off the backs of vulnerable people. Standards are shockingly low, and [the victims] do not have a voice.”

Should Ed Miliband be elected, Mr Burnham confidently expects to serve as health secretary. “Obviously it’s up to him what team he has. But it’s where I want to be, and I know what I want to do.” As the architect of the integrated health and social care service now endorsed by all the main parties, his first focus is on the ordeal faced by many elderly people in residential care and their own homes.

“The standard of social care in England is a national scandal. This urgently needs more attention from Parliament.”

“Proving a case against an individual is very difficult. The new offence would make it much easier to hold whole organisations to account.” In addition, Mr Burnham is proposing to extend to the care sector the protection for NHS whistleblowers recommended by the Francis report on failings at mid-Staffordshire hospitals

“My worry is that abuse is taking place in people’s own homes [by carers]. Whistleblowers have come to me and described a system that basically has no standards any more.”

Five years have passed since Mr Burnham’s wish to fix a broken system with a “death tax” resulted in the Tory tombstone posters that became a metaphor for Labour’s impending defeat.

Post-election, Mr Burnham – who is widely regarded as the most likely successor to Mr Miliband - privately pursued the idea of either a 15 per cent estate tax or some other social insurance scheme before his hopes were finally dashed when the shadow chancellor, Ed Balls, told the Daily Telegraph that “people rightly think they pay too much tax already.”

Mr Burnham has now buried the “death tax” and any other revenue-raising plan. “I’ve conceded. My plan is based on the money we’ve got and on making the system work better.” But nor does he think Labour’s ten-year plan is a final solution. “It gets you some of the way. [But] the country hasn’t yet found a way of paying for social care for the rest of this century.”

Eventually, he hopes, political consensus and public demand will enable more radical change. “I am passionate that we should fund all care on the NHS principle – that everybody contributes and everybody is covered .. I can’t see how our party in the end could ever allow a situation where people are ruined financially because of their vulnerability.

“But I’m conscious you have to carry people with you. It’s a longer game .. I’m impatient for change. I feel politics is missing big causes, and it needs to get back into that kind of business.”

Late in 2013, Mr Burnham warned that Labour must “shout louder” and that its window of opportunity would soon close. With the opinion polls neck and neck and the public unconvinced, has it all gone wrong for his party?

“I don’t think it has. Here we are eight weeks from an election that we can win, and I think we will. It’s an incredible endorsement of Ed [Miliband] that we are now so close to winning.”

With Labour under threat from the SNP in Scotland, does he agree - as John Major urged yesterday – that Labour should rule out a coalition with the nationalists? “I believe in the union and in Britain, and I wouldn’t do anything that would increase fragmentation. I hope that gives you a hint of where I’m coming from.”

Win or lose, Mr Burnham says he is in politics for the long haul. “I only want to try to achieve substantial things. People are yearning for a politics that is about big solutions and ideas that will make a real difference.”

Does he hope to be PM one day? “Well, I don’t sit here thinking and plotting towards it. Maybe some people do that; I don’t. I’m consumed by what I’m doing at the moment.”

But ambition, we suggest, doesn’t imply disloyalty. “Maybe not. My passion is the Labour Party, and I will serve it in any way I can. I’m not the sort of person who endlessly projects future plans. I will go as far as my talents will allow me.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11455874/Andy-BurnhamJail-private-care-home-directors-for-mistreating-pensioners.html

Back to top Go down

Andy Burnham: Jail private care home directors for mistreating pensioners Empty Re: Andy Burnham: Jail private care home directors for mistreating pensioners

Post by Guest Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:36 pm

risingsun wrote:Labour's shadow health secretary pledges to introduce a new charge of corporate neglect under which owners, managers and boards of private care homes could be jailed or fined for ill-treatment of people in their care.

Private care home directors who mistreat pensioners face prison under a Labour government, Andy Burnham has said.

The shadow health secretary pledged to introduce a new charge of corporate neglect under which owners, managers and boards of private care homes could be jailed or fined for ill-treatment of people in their care.

Those rules currently apply only to state homes. In the private sector, which provides 75 per cent of residential care, criminal charges can be brought solely against staff.

In an interview with The Telegraph, Mr Burnham said: “There is a worrying number of very poor providers profiteering off the backs of vulnerable people. Standards are shockingly low, and [the victims] do not have a voice.”

Should Ed Miliband be elected, Mr Burnham confidently expects to serve as health secretary. “Obviously it’s up to him what team he has. But it’s where I want to be, and I know what I want to do.” As the architect of the integrated health and social care service now endorsed by all the main parties, his first focus is on the ordeal faced by many elderly people in residential care and their own homes.

“The standard of social care in England is a national scandal. This urgently needs more attention from Parliament.”

“Proving a case against an individual is very difficult. The new offence would make it much easier to hold whole organisations to account.” In addition, Mr Burnham is proposing to extend to the care sector the protection for NHS whistleblowers recommended by the Francis report on failings at mid-Staffordshire hospitals

“My worry is that abuse is taking place in people’s own homes [by carers]. Whistleblowers have come to me and described a system that basically has no standards any more.”

Five years have passed since Mr Burnham’s wish to fix a broken system with a “death tax” resulted in the Tory tombstone posters that became a metaphor for Labour’s impending defeat.

Post-election, Mr Burnham – who is widely regarded as the most likely successor to Mr Miliband - privately pursued the idea of either a 15 per cent estate tax or some other social insurance scheme before his hopes were finally dashed when the shadow chancellor, Ed Balls, told the Daily Telegraph that “people rightly think they pay too much tax already.”

Mr Burnham has now buried the “death tax” and any other revenue-raising plan. “I’ve conceded. My plan is based on the money we’ve got and on making the system work better.” But nor does he think Labour’s ten-year plan is a final solution. “It gets you some of the way. [But] the country hasn’t yet found a way of paying for social care for the rest of this century.”

Eventually, he hopes, political consensus and public demand will enable more radical change. “I am passionate that we should fund all care on the NHS principle – that everybody contributes and everybody is covered .. I can’t see how our party in the end could ever allow a situation where people are ruined financially because of their vulnerability.

“But I’m conscious you have to carry people with you. It’s a longer game .. I’m impatient for change. I feel politics is missing big causes, and it needs to get back into that kind of business.”

then the interfering so and so's want to stop listening to every 2 bit "protest group" and stop playing "the politics of the noisiest" and get back to governing the country instead of regulating every fart and playing the nanny state game....

Late in 2013, Mr Burnham warned that Labour must “shout louder” and that its window of opportunity would soon close. With the opinion polls neck and neck and the public unconvinced, has it all gone wrong for his party?

“I don’t think it has. Here we are eight weeks from an election that we can win, and I think we will. It’s an incredible endorsement of Ed [Miliband] that we are now so close to winning.”

With Labour under threat from the SNP in Scotland, does he agree - as John Major urged yesterday – that Labour should rule out a coalition with the nationalists? “I believe in the union and in Britain, and I wouldn’t do anything that would increase fragmentation. I hope that gives you a hint of where I’m coming from.”

Win or lose, Mr Burnham says he is in politics for the long haul. “I only want to try to achieve substantial things. People are yearning for a politics that is about big solutions and ideas that will make a real difference.”

Does he hope to be PM one day? “Well, I don’t sit here thinking and plotting towards it. Maybe some people do that; I don’t. I’m consumed by what I’m doing at the moment.”

But ambition, we suggest, doesn’t imply disloyalty. “Maybe not. My passion is the Labour Party, and I will serve it in any way I can. I’m not the sort of person who endlessly projects future plans. I will go as far as my talents will allow me.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11455874/Andy-BurnhamJail-private-care-home-directors-for-mistreating-pensioners.html

Back to top Go down

Andy Burnham: Jail private care home directors for mistreating pensioners Empty Re: Andy Burnham: Jail private care home directors for mistreating pensioners

Post by Guest Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:40 pm

Also they are a party of liars and gerrymanderers

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:52 pm

I've seen enough of the inhumane treatment of elderly people in care homes to know that more needs to be done to hold people to account for what they do and what they are responsible for.

Seems sensible to me.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:59 pm

yup dont disagree with the idea at all irn....but his comment I outlined spells 90% of whats wrong with labour....

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:43 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:Good idea - in principle.

Would also like to see the government pump more money into social care - to help providers maintain standards.

While 75% of care homes may be private, most of the service users' fees are funded by the public. And this was dropped by 10% around 2009, with no inflationary increase since. While wages have had to rise to keep up with the minimum wage.

awww...and there's them "poor" care home providers...who charge on an interesting basis...

lets see mrs XXXXXX you sold your home for 150,000

so we well keep hold of that to pay for your care

3 years later she dies...and mysteriously the WHOLE 150,000 has gone...in costs...

hmmm

and even the honest ones charge ridiculous prices for what is actually provided....

how come a pensioner can be expected to live on £113 per week in their own home

and yet is expected to pay 400+ per week in a "home"

especially when 90% either need or get any "expensive" care
the standard of which is largely substandard
(cos when you pay peanuts you get monkeys)

tell you what...I aint going into one of those "prison camps"

under any circumstances....

Unless I have gone "ga ga"...

I will take the long sleep before I get stuffed into one of those...

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:22 pm

I've worked in care homes. I did that job, on and off, for about seven years in the 80's and early 90's.

Alot of the nurses were lazy. They left patients on the toilet, unwashed and in some cases, laid on a bed or sat in a chair.
The meals were vile and cheap food.

That's not just one home, that was three of four that I worked in. The worst one being run by (dare I say it?? but sorry it's true) an Asian couple. Who served up cheap sausage casserole (I watched her make it) and called it a "luxury dinner"

My grandmother went into one and it was really nice. Obviously, I only visited and didn't see behind the scenes. It was run by a couple who really went out of their way to make sure the residents were not just sat in chairs all day.

I'm glad that something is going to be done about the bastards who think it's okay to mistreat the elderly.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:57 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
darknessss wrote:

awww...and there's them "poor" care home providers...who charge on an interesting basis...

lets see mrs XXXXXX you sold your home for 150,000

so we well keep hold of that to pay for your care

3 years later she dies...and mysteriously the WHOLE 150,000 has gone...in costs...

hmmm

and even the honest ones charge ridiculous prices for what is actually provided....

how come a pensioner can be expected to live on £113 per week in their own home

and yet is expected to pay 400+ per week in a "home"  

especially when 90% either need or get any "expensive" care
the standard of which is largely substandard
(cos when you pay peanuts you get monkeys)

tell you what...I aint going into one of those "prison camps"

under any circumstances....

Unless I have gone "ga ga"...

I will take the long sleep before I get stuffed into one of those...

You obviously don't value the effort nurses put in to take care of the elderly in the UK.

nurses?

how many are sen or srn then, because anything else is just a "health care professional"

and judging by what we see on a regualr basis the "care" is anything but......

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:01 am

Zack owns a care home,has he admitted to that?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:31 am

Social care provision should never be in the hands of run for profit companies

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:51 am

I think many people are looking at this all wrong with care and where we can help our parents we should.
Most people have forgotten the fact we were raised by them and should repay them by looking after them in their later life. We used to do this in the west but now with access to such facilities it is easier to offload the problem onto someone else.
Responsibility should start  with the family itself. Of course not everyone has families and thus we do need facilities, but the ethos around this is all wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:20 pm

Brasidas wrote:I think many people are looking at this all wrong with care and where we can help our parents we should.
Most people have forgotten the fact we were raised by them and should repay them by looking after them in their later life. We used to do this in the west but now with access to such facilities it is easier to offload the problem onto someone else.
Responsibility should start  with the family itself. Of course not everyone has families and thus we do need facilities, but the ethos around this is all wrong.

the whole of society is wrong....

people HAVE to move to find work so children end up 100+ miles away...how are they expected to "help"

few people have sufficient room to have a parent (or possibly both parents living in with them)

fewer still have time with BOTH partners HAVING to work to make ends meet...

and corrupt officials in councils are not beyond obtaining care orders to get hold of an elderly persons money, so they can "then "pay it out" at tremendous cost, or indeed ensure that the elderly victim ends up in their "mates" care home....

society didge...it may have escaped your notice has changed somewhat, mostly for the worse over the last 50-60 years.....

so its all very well you pintificating about what should be, when the other things you chunter on about are in general the very things that have caused this situation...

like for instance

"people should move wherever whenever and as often as necessary to obtain work.....that is incompaible with "people should look after their parents" ...for a number of reasons.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:25 pm

darknessss wrote:
Brasidas wrote:I think many people are looking at this all wrong with care and where we can help our parents we should.

people HAVE to move to find work so children end up 100+ miles away...how are they expected to "help"
Poor base point to use as if this is the norm, when that is not the case. You cannot make an argument based off some, this is off the reality of where people can help their parents.

few people have sufficient room to have a parent (or possibly both parents living in with them)

Really based on what?

Then you make time or pay for a carer where they are happier in an envoironment they are more comfortable with and still have their family around them. Still again you use worse case scenario where people can help and they choose to place them in a home

and corrupt officials in councils are not beyond obtaining care orders to get hold of an elderly persons money, so they can "then "pay it out" at tremendous cost, or indeed ensure that the elderly victim ends up in their "mates" care home....
Silly

society didge...it may have escaped your notice has changed somewhat, mostly for the worse over the last 50-60 years.....
Absurd life has gotten better, what has not is how people now palm off their parents into homes, when they should repay their parents by looking after them

so its all very well you pintificating about what should be, when the other things you chunter on about are in general the very things that have caused this situation...

Well as seeeen most of what you posted above was pure crap, based off some view points as if it was the norm basing it on no evidence

like for instance

"people should move wherever whenever and as often as necessary to obtain work.....that is incompaible with "people should look after their parents" ...for a number of reasons.

Again absurd, you move your parents to your home where ever your work is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:29 pm

I will add to make this easier for you Victor, if people can help their parents, then they should.
Are you suggesting they should not?
In my view to many people take the easier option of sending them into homes, as it is less of a bruden, which i find very selfish and in no way repays them for rasing us.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:21 pm

Well in a perfect society it would be nice to have your parent(s) move in with you. This only works, however, if the parent is mobile and able-bodied.
My grandmother got senile dementia (she was a wanderer too) and there's no way my mum could have managed to look after her.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:24 pm

Brasidas wrote:
darknessss wrote:

Poor base point to use as if this is the norm, when that is not the case. You cannot make an argument based off some, this is off the reality of where people can help their parents.

Really based on what?

Then you make time or pay for a carer where they are happier in an envoironment they are more comfortable with (of course that will be totaly affordable on minimum wage wont it.... or worse still folks out of work....) and still have their family around them. Still again you use worse case scenario where people can help and they choose to place them in a home

Silly but true

Absurd life has gotten better, what has not is how people now palm off their parents into homes, when they should repay their parents by looking after them

Well as seeeen most of what you posted above was pure crap, based off some view points as if it was the norm basing it on no evidence

and you dont have a clue about life....

like for instance

what kind of a cabbage are you didge....

what part of "moving home is second only to berevement" in terms of stress dont you understand

you see didge you are a typical "liberalist"....full of "should be's and ought to be's" and not a damn clue as to how or why or by what means

a course in bitter reality might help you....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:25 pm

eddie wrote:Well in a perfect society it would be nice to have your parent(s) move in with you. This only works, however, if the parent is mobile and able-bodied.
My grandmother got senile dementia (she was a wanderer too) and there's no way my mum could have managed to look after her.

In many cases people can care for their parents, they choose not to because the easier option is for someone else to do so.
In my book that is wrong.
Many parents riase children thast have a variety of  medical problems, would you say the same if they gave them up for adoption Eddie?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:29 pm

darknessss wrote:
Brasidas wrote:

what kind of a cabbage are you didge....

what part of "moving home is second only to berevement" in terms of stress dont you understand

you see didge you are a typical "liberalist"....full of "should be's and ought to be's" and not a damn clue as to how or why or by what means

a course in bitter reality might help you....

What a load of drivel again avoding the very fundemental points being made and yet you give inept ecuses instead.
So I will make this simplke for you.
If people can look after their parents, should they or should they place them in homes?
Is that simple enough for you because no doubt you are just going to continue down the moot point on some not being able to which misses the whole point

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:32 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
darknessss wrote:

nurses?

how many are sen or srn then, because anything else is just a "health care professional"

and judging by what we see on a regualr basis the "care" is anything but......

The answer is to increase funding (not decrease it, as it has been). Or as suggested, take care of your own. But some children can't provide the nursing provision to an elderly population increasing suffering from dementia and medical conditions that require constant supervison. Quality care costs money.

yeah yeah...

pull the other one oh fuzzy one....

the charges levied are already extortionate...and WAY beyond any justification....

its a never ending cash cow to the owners of these prison camps for the elderly....and the lack of regulation and supervision is astounding

zoos have heavier regulatory burdens fgs.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:35 pm

Brasidas wrote:
eddie wrote:Well in a perfect society it would be nice to have your parent(s) move in with you. This only works, however, if the parent is mobile and able-bodied.

In many cases people can care for their parents, they choose not to because the easier option is for someone else to do so.
Many parents riase children thast have a variety of  medical problems, would you say the same if they gave them up for adoption Eddie?

No didge. But soemtines the children of the elderly are elderly themselves!
And my mother, for instance, wasn't capalble of looking after an old lady with dementia!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:36 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
nicko wrote:Zack owns a care home,has he admitted to that?

Lol! It's not like I'm ashamed of owning one.

that explains his grasping desire for yet more funding....

as if the "charges" levied in general are not highway robbery as it is....

again HOW COME a pensioner can be expected to live on £113 pm in their own accomodation......but get charged way over £400/month in one of these places....

especially when you see how they are run and the slop they feed em and the general disrespect that is visited upon them...

and we ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT THE ODD 1 OR 2 HERE AND THERE are we....this is a regular occurence.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:37 pm

eddie wrote:
Brasidas wrote:

And my mother, for instance, wasn't capalble of looking after an old lady with dementia!

Again Eddie plenty of people are providing of reasons where people cannot care for their parents, of which I am not disputing.
I understand very well dementia needs constant care proivided.
The point is on those who most certainly can and how many today do choose the option of a care home, which to me is wrong on many levels.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:01 pm

eddie wrote:
Brasidas wrote:

For the last few years of my grandmother's life, my mum slept on a camp bed across my grandmother's door so she wouldn't wander in the night and fall down the stairs. My Mum's health never recovered and she was ill herself after than and never got to enjoy her final years.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:02 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
darknessss wrote:

again HOW COME a pensioner can be expected to live on £113 pm in their own accomodation......but get charged way over £400/month in one of these places....

especially when you see how they are run and the slop they feed em and the general disrespect that is visited upon them...

and we ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT THE ODD 1 OR 2 HERE AND THERE are we....this is a regular occurence.....

Seems your prejudice applies to care homes also.

I suggest you reverse engineer a care homes expense and then see if you could run of at £400/month.

By the way, £400/month is incredibly cheap.(so the reality is much worse than I thought... jeez) My home charges £750 per week for private residents, about £680 to £1200 pw for NHS trusts and £550 pw for council residents. But I have a nursing home. Care  homes are slightly cheaper.  

and you think those sorts of charges are "justifiable"?

pffft......£3000 per month for private residents??(actually £3250 pm (as there are in fact roughly 4 1/3rd weeks in a month on average)

the whole "industry" should be investigated and "audited" for good value

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:05 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
darknessss wrote:

I suggest you reverse engineer a care homes expense and then see if you could run of at £400/month.

By the way, £400/month is incredibly cheap. My home charges £750 per week for private residents, about £680 to £1200 pw for NHS trusts and £550 pw for council residents. But I have a nursing home. Care  homes are slightly cheaper.  

For her last 8 months my Mum was in a Care Home, cost £2,000 a month.  But I was ill and couldn't look after her all the time, and my Dad, who was 91, certainly couldn't.   We tried it for a weekend.  Mum fell on the floor and I had to lift her because she was in pain kneeling.  As I had only had a big stomach op 5 weeks previously it didn't do me any good.  Sometimes, it doesn't matter how much you want to keep someone at home, you just can't.

Last edited by risingsun on Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:06 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
darknessss wrote:

By the way, £400/month is incredibly cheap. My home charges £750 per week for private residents, about £680 to £1200 pw for NHS trusts and £550 pw for council residents. But I have a nursing home. Care  homes are slightly cheaper.  

my mistake there i meant per week....

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down