NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Okay, nerds, tell me how feasible this is

2 posters

Go down

Okay, nerds, tell me how feasible this is Empty Okay, nerds, tell me how feasible this is

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:38 pm

So, I'm tired of having to get a new computer every few years; tired of transferring my files, reinstalling my software, retweaking my settings the way I like them, etc.

I'm tired of doing that with smartphones and tablets as well.

So how feasible would it be to have a "lifelong computer" that upgraded with the times? It could live in the internet (i.e. you'd pay somebody to host it, like your ISP). It would be accessible through any thin client or its equivalent -- dumb desktops and/or laptops, tablets and phones and whatever else comes along. It would be run by some sort of uber-OS that could save and serve, for example, your files and Windows settings alongside your Android preferences and apps and contacts, alongside whatever else you wanted to save.

Another way to think about it would be, what if we optimized cloud computing with BitCoin-level security and Google Fiber-speed internet access? I would think that with that level of a connection speed, you could run stuff like audio/video software and not experience too much lag.

Of course, you'd always want to keep some of your really important files on your own offline storage, and continue to back-up just in case, but does anybody else think that for certain people, spending a lot of time getting your new computer, tablet or phone the way you want it could become a thing of the past?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Okay, nerds, tell me how feasible this is Empty Re: Okay, nerds, tell me how feasible this is

Post by Guest Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:41 pm

yep...its on its way....

cloud computing is merely a shadow of whats comming....

and the best bit....

the govt will then have TOTAL control of folks ability to access and retain data....

Back to top Go down

Okay, nerds, tell me how feasible this is Empty Re: Okay, nerds, tell me how feasible this is

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:47 pm

darknessss wrote:yep...its on its way....

cloud computing is merely a shadow of whats comming....

and the best bit....

the govt will then have TOTAL control of folks ability to access and retain data....

I'm all for doing most of my computer stuff in the cloud. As for total government control ... it doesn't seem you're right: http://www.infowars.com/
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:13 am

it would be much better if it were the gov't.. currently it is corporations that should not be allowed to do what they are. If it were individuals trying to get info like that they would be charged...

and Nope not really possible anyway over the long term there are architecture changes that do relate to a physical change in the way the hardware functions.
Win 98 was 16-bit (so was Sega Mega drive)
XP was 32 bit
some win7 is 64 Bit
win 8 is 64bit

A better question now that computer power exceeds the majority of users requirements is DO you really need to? the answer is no but companies will force you to via planed obsolescence and end of support dates.
there is no reason why XP wouldn't still work if Microsoft keep pushing out updates. while some applications wouldn't work because they require a 64bit architecture. the vast majority are programmed in a way to work on both (although it does limit the maximum capacity of the application)

But that Saving settings thing does exist.. but never seem it outside of commercial environment and even then it is not so the user can save their choices as much as it is so that I can force them to have the correct setting for the operating environment. it does require a couple of major bits of infrastructure to pull off effectively But I can set it up so that no matter what computer 'a user' logs in to it will start in their preferred settings and even install the applications allocated to their account. It is in a particular 'domain' but in theory some one like Microsoft or google is big enough to pull of an Internet wide one ...

also they are a bit like cars you can almost always fix them just a question if the time/cost if worth it...
I have in past jobs had to keep 10+ year old hardware alive and functioning to modern exceptions... it is possible but Most of the time it will be quicker cheaper easier to just get a new one.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum