NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maps show most-common second language in each country of the world

+2
veya_victaous
Ben Reilly
6 posters

Go down

Maps show most-common second language in each country of the world Empty Maps show most-common second language in each country of the world

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:38 pm

I thought this was pretty interesting ...

Maps show most-common second language in each country of the world Northamerica

Maps show most-common second language in each country of the world Centralamerica

Maps show most-common second language in each country of the world Southamerica

Maps show most-common second language in each country of the world Europe

Maps show most-common second language in each country of the world Asiamiddleeast

Maps show most-common second language in each country of the world Africa

Maps show most-common second language in each country of the world Popularsecondlanguages

http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/second-languages-of-the-world-infographic
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Maps show most-common second language in each country of the world Empty Re: Maps show most-common second language in each country of the world

Post by veya_victaous Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:30 pm

I'm Surprised it is not English in Australia.

Actually looking at the blog
I think it makes the assumption that since English is the official language it is everyone's first which is not even close.

even 20 years ago and the number is growing
27% of people in Sydney spoke a language other than English at home
nationally it was 15%
http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/2f762f95845417aeca25706c00834efa/d67b7c95e0e8a733ca2570ec001117a2!OpenDocument
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Maps show most-common second language in each country of the world Empty Re: Maps show most-common second language in each country of the world

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:02 pm

I think this is actually charting the most commonly learned language learned in each country *after* the language learned at home (whatever that might be).
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:22 pm

Doesn't say in Britain lol

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:42 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:I think this is actually charting the most commonly learned language learned in each country *after* the language learned at home (whatever that might be).

exactly in Sydney over a quarter of people speak a language other than English at home and Learnt English as a Second (or 3rd etc) language to speak outside of the home.

Arab Asian or non-english European... all LEARN English as their Second language

Last edited by veya_victaous on Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:43 pm

risingsun wrote:Doesn't say in Britain lol

it says polish
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:49 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:I think this is actually charting the most commonly learned language learned in each country *after* the language learned at home (whatever that might be).

exactly in Sydney over a quarter of people speak a language other than English at home and Learnt English as a Second (or 3rd etc) language to speak outside of the home.

Arab Asian or non-english European... all LEARN English as their Second language

Veya, do you have all those publications required for informing the public on everyday issues printed in multilingual languages like we do or is it all just in plain English?
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:55 am

Irn Bru wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:

Veya, do you have all those publications required for informing the public on everyday issues printed in multilingual languages like we do or is it all just in plain English?

Here is an Aussie street sign
Maps show most-common second language in each country of the world Brisbane_06_835

so Yes
but with exception of some legal docs it is largely for tourists.
Most people speak good enough to get by, we are far less anal about using 'correct English'.
but most Council forms or applications for licences etc can be done in almost any language.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:03 am

I was told that in 100 years the world will only speak six languages: Spanish, English, Russian, French, some kind of Chinese dialect, and...believe it or not, Portuguese.  Brazil, not Portugal, is expected to become an economic power down the line.

Can't vouch for it.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Eilzel Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:19 pm

The most surprising for me is Tagalog in Saudi Arabia- am I missing something?
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:51 pm

Eilzel wrote:The most surprising for me is Tagalog in Saudi Arabia- am I missing something?

I had the same question, and I suspected it must have an economic cause like Polish in Britain or Spanish in the U.S. ... and it does:

Saudi Arabia remains as the top labor-receiving country among other destinations of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) abroad this year despite the reported decline in the deployment rate.

In its latest report, the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) said Saudi Arabia tightened its hold in the no. 1 position, both in the new hires and rehires in the first three months of the year.

Citing a POEA data, Administrator Rosalinda Baldoz said the number of OFWs deployed in Saudi Arabia from January to March stands at 55,157, about 3,500 lower than the number of OFWs deployed in 2006.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-164120111.html

Now why Filipino workers choose SA, that's a good question. Unfortunately most of the article is behind a paywall ...

I was surprised at English in Italy -- going by the doing-business theory, I would have suspected German to be the second language learned by most Italians.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:16 am

True but English is the main language of people from a number of big economies so seeing it everywhere is no surprise even in what might have been less expected places.

Yeah very interesting about Saudi!
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:09 am

Eilzel wrote:True but English is the main language of people from a number of big economies so seeing it everywhere is no surprise even in what might have been less expected places.

I know what you mean -- it would also be interesting to see the trends on English as a second language learning over the past decade or so. I'd expect it to be losing some ground to Chinese dialects, but I have no idea if that's true.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:04 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Eilzel wrote:True but English is the main language of people from a number of big economies so seeing it everywhere is no surprise even in what might have been less expected places.

I know what you mean -- it would also be interesting to see the trends on English as a second language learning over the past decade or so. I'd expect it to be losing some ground to Chinese dialects, but I have no idea if that's true.

A lot of the Chinese 'Business Class' Learn English at school, Similarly with Japan and Korea.
So it is not uncommon for 2 Asians to have English as a Mutual Language
I actually have Chinese friends that don't under understand each others dialect but know English... Particularly with Hong Kongese, Taiwanese and Mainland Chinese.

Similar with Indians, if they speak Hindi or Punjabi the seem to get by but if they are from a minority then often they have their local dialect and English. Although i think it may also be a caste thing Maps show most-common second language in each country of the world 265384880 the upper and aspirational class learn it as standard in part to be able use western educational material.... and as they are still part of the commonwealth, they do have history of English being used by the upper classes
Maps show most-common second language in each country of the world 3893789544
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down