NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current PCs better than Next Gen Consoles.

2 posters

Go down

Current PCs better than Next Gen Consoles. Empty Current PCs better than Next Gen Consoles.

Post by veya_victaous Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:49 am

Current PCs better than Next Gen Consoles. Pc-gaming1

"
The “next generation” hasn’t even started yet, and already it seems that games on the new consoles just won’t be able to compare to their PC counterparts.

That’s according to DICE, who says that they’ve had to make a few compromises to get Battlefield 4 up to spec on the Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

Speaking to Videogamer, Battlefield executive producer Patrick Bach says that DICE is “doing as much as [it] can” with the next-gen versions, “but we need to compromise in some places”.

The reason for that, which should make those smug PC elitists even more smug is that “from a CPU/GPU perspective, no, [PS4 & Xbox One cannot match PC].
"

This is bad for consoles
Normally they don't have to Nerf Games until the console is a couple of years old, the fact they are having to do it on release could not be a good thing.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Current PCs better than Next Gen Consoles. Empty Re: Current PCs better than Next Gen Consoles.

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:50 am

Seems the days of the computing power of consoles actively being feared are ancient history ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Current PCs better than Next Gen Consoles. Empty Re: Current PCs better than Next Gen Consoles.

Post by veya_victaous Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:00 am

@ben
more than you'd think...
PS2 was like a ferrari hugely powerful and strealined to the max for it's day.
PS3 was the first commerical computer to use a hex-core CPU. it actually was comparable to small business servers at the time.
PS4 similar power to my current gaming rig (that I haven't even upgraded in the past year)

Amazing how far it dropped in one generation. from potenially 50% more power than anything you'd reasonably have at home (PS3) to something that is equal to 2 year old PC with RAM upgrades. (PS4) No 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:09 am

I still posit that San Andreas stands up with the top games ever, and it was a PS2-first disc (though I did hear it was better on PC).
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:38 am

I'd also Agree with GTA SA being up there as one of the best
(P.S. It got better on PC, it was really well made, so that as Graphics cards improved so did the graphics to a greater extent than normally found in games.)

I doubt we will see another as good, the industry has changed, the PS2 was the last console truely FOR gamers.
In Part the success of the Wii and its target everyone but gamers marketing is the cause. there is more money making media for the masses, and the masses want to be able to finish a video game so all games have been dumbed down and simplified to keep the masses happy. No different really than Movies or Music, anything 'good' by which I mean complex, creative and pushing the limits of the artistic medium (SA is a great example for Pushing the limits of what we thought was possible) is underfunded while recycled cliche reboots get MultiMillion dollar backing. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad 

I think the biggest threat to PC gaming is Windows 8, it is just such a terrible Operatign System and I am a MS fanboi but it is just rubbish. 8.1 seems slightly better but not enough.
If I have to buy something before windows 9 (still got 7 on my Gaming rig) I'll be seriously looking at Linux.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:10 am

Have to agree; SA was the last game that when I beat it I felt I'd completed this odyssey or something Smile

I'm not a hardcore gamer by any stretch, so I can only speak to the relatively few games I've sought out over the years -- but my favorite PS3 game, The Force Unleashed, was really enjoyable but still something I never thought I might not be able to beat.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:17 am

This can easily turn into a discussion of a problem I've posed to hard-core capitalist types that they've never been able to truly answer -- the problem that the market doesn't really promote anything groundbreaking, and rarely produces anything that could be termed a masterpiece (especially the way that word used to be used).

Even if you look at the indie circuit! Sure, you may find better quality content there, but it's still made to generate some kind of buzz at PAX or Sundance or Pitchfork. It's still an audience-grab at the end of the day.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:32 am

there are some really good ideas out there in the indie circles but to really get an 'end product' of masterpiece quality would take serious investment and no one is willing to put up that kind of cash for an uncertain return.

you are right about Audience Grab, everything is so heavy on the marketing now. some of the indies have been really good because they haven't been marketed, they are just $5 games that have an interesting mechanic or something and so build up a following. It's partly why Steam/Valve has been good for the industry as it greatly reduced the entry costs to distribute a game globally.

I dont see the industry returning to the old days where the Big titles were 'Good'. But I do see Indie games getting better to the point where it gets hard to tell them apart graphically, which will make a big difference to the pickup rate amougst the the masses, which gives new developers more funding and hopefully will give us some Fully developed New and Creative Ideas.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:40 pm

I could talk about San Andreas longer than anyone would care to listen :D Did you ever play around with seeing how CJ's phrases changed when you changed his appearance?

When he looks pretty normal and takes a fallen foe's money, he usually says "I'll take this" or "This is going in my retirement fund!" But ... dress him up in the nicest suit available and he'll say something like, "This isn't too dignified" when he takes their money. Get him to 100 percent fat and he'll say (in an adjusted "fat voice") that "I'm going to spend this on a nice meal!" Cracked me up.

Also, in a firefight at 100 percent fat, CJ will sometimes call out (again, in the fat-guy voice), "You think I'm just a fat bitch?!"
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:40 pm

I never noticed the voice, I remember listening to radio a lot.

And stealling cop cars to play vigilante Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down