NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Confessions of a One-Time Religious Right Icon

2 posters

Go down

Confessions of a One-Time Religious Right Icon  Empty Confessions of a One-Time Religious Right Icon

Post by Lurker Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:21 pm

I am a white, privileged, well-off, 61-year-old former Republican religious right-wing activist who changed his mind about religion and politics long ago. The New York Times profiled my change of heart saying that to my former friends I’m considered a “traitorous prince” since my religious-right family was once thought of as “evangelical royalty.”

You see, only in the Mafia, the British Royal family and big time American religion is a nepotistic rise to power seen as normal. And I was good at it. And I hated it while hypocritically profiting from it — until, that is, in the mid-1980s, I quit. These days I describe myself as an atheist who believes in God.

Ironically I helped my father become famous in the religion sector. In the 1970s I directed and produced two film series featuring Dad with book companions that became evangelical bestsellers: “How Should We Then Live?” and “Whatever Happened to the Human Race?” By the time Dad and I completed two nationwide seminar tours launching those projects, I was being invited to speak at the biggest religious gatherings, including the Southern Baptist Convention and the annual meeting of the National Religious Broadcasters.

http://www.salon.com/2014/12/24/my_horrible_right_wing_past_confessions_of_a_one_time_religious_right_icon/
Lurker
Lurker
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Confessions of a One-Time Religious Right Icon  Empty Re: Confessions of a One-Time Religious Right Icon

Post by Cass Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:47 pm

very interesting article.

cheers
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down