NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jazz clarinettist Acker Bilk dies aged 85

3 posters

Go down

Jazz clarinettist Acker Bilk dies aged 85  Empty Jazz clarinettist Acker Bilk dies aged 85

Post by Irn Bru Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:31 pm

The musician, who lived in Pensford, Somerset, died this afternoon at Bath's Royal United Hospital, his manager Pamela Sutton said.

Bilk, known for performing in a garish waistcoat and bowler hat, was the first UK act to top the US charts in the 1960s. His most famous hit, Stranger on the Shore, stayed in the charts for a year after it was released in 1961, winning him four gold discs.

Born Bernard Stanley Bilk , he changed his name to Acker - Somerset slang for mate - after learning to play the clarinet while in the Army.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandjazzmusic/11204365/Jazz-clarinettist-Acker-Bilk-dies-aged-85.html

I wasn't particularly fond of Jazz but I loved some of the stuff that Aker Bilk did especially Stranger on the Shore. It's a magic piece of music that is so relaxing you just want to lay back and think of the peace and tranquility that looking out over the sea can bring.

Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Jazz clarinettist Acker Bilk dies aged 85  Empty Re: Jazz clarinettist Acker Bilk dies aged 85

Post by Guest Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:48 pm

Another "good un" gone....talented and a nice bloke to boot....

RIP Mr Bilk

Back to top Go down

Jazz clarinettist Acker Bilk dies aged 85  Empty Re: Jazz clarinettist Acker Bilk dies aged 85

Post by captain Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:01 pm

Sad Playing this track right now with a sad heart.

Thanks Irn Bru
captain
captain
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:01 pm

captainJane wrote:Sad Playing this track right now with a sad heart.

Thanks Irn Bru

I played a lot of his stuff yesterday ....after giving up the clarinet years ago I'd forgotten how much of a master he was at it....such talent Sad

RIP x
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down