NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

San Francisco wins...in the World Series

4 posters

NewsFix :: Sport :: Sport

Go down

San Francisco wins...in the World Series Empty San Francisco wins...in the World Series

Post by Original Quill Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:23 am

The San Francisco Giants won the League Championship Series (LCS) against the St. Louis Cardinals in dramatic fashion with a walk-off home run, to take the National League Championship. Now they will face the Kansas City Royals in the World Series.

San Francisco has won both the LCS and the World Series in 2010, 2012 and the LCS in 2014. No doubt they will win the World Series again this year. cheers

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

San Francisco wins...in the World Series Empty Re: San Francisco wins...in the World Series

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:48 am

Sorry, pulling for K.C. in this one. Not a Royals fan, but a fan of Royals fans Smile

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- About 3,000 fans walked out of Kauffman Stadium during the Kansas City Royals' 13-6 win over the New York Yankees on Friday night to protest baseball economics that pitted one of the richest teams against one of the poorest.

The fans, wearing shirts that read ''$hare the Wealth'' had gathered hours before the game to drink beer and line up for general admission tickets as the sponsoring radio station broadcast a call-in show live from the stadium.

The fans filled the left field bleachers, turning their backs when the Yankees were at bat. They chanted ''Share the wealth'' and ''Let's go Royals'' before leaving when New York's Derek Jeter grounded into a forceout for the first out of the fourth inning. One fan waved a sign that read ''George Steinbrenner Death of Baseball.''

It took nearly 15 minutes for the protesters to empty the left field seats. Some other fans not taking part filled some of the seats.

Some of the fans littered the left field corner with fake $100 dollar bills as they left.

http://onlineathens.com/stories/050199/spo_0501990035.shtml
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

San Francisco wins...in the World Series Empty Re: San Francisco wins...in the World Series

Post by Cass Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:03 pm

pfft. as a Yankees gal I'm rooting fer the Giants!
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:47 pm

Yeah, Ben.  Royals are an expansion team. San Francisco wins...in the World Series Tongue-out1Smiley  The Giants, Dodgers and Yankees were original franchise teams in National Baseball.  Have some respect!

When I was a kid living in Philadelphia, I used to root for the Philadelphia Athletics.  Frankie Minare's dad would take us to Connie Mack Stadium every Saturday morning so we could catch the game, which started about noon.  Then I moved west and so did the Giants.  And the Athletics are now in Oakland...oh joy.

Incidentally, do you know the name/city of the original Texas Rangers?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:57 pm

Sure, they're the Washington Senators originally. (I too was born quite close to Washington D.C. and moved to Texas Smile )

Sorry, I'll never have anything but contempt for the Yankees. I'm fine with the other teams though, except maybe for the Angels and that's just because of Wilson and Hamilton, so the dislike is temporary.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:58 pm

Should add that that they're not originally the original Washington Senators though; the team that was originally the original Senators is now the Twins Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:47 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Should add that that they're not originally the original Washington Senators though; the team that was originally the original Senators is now the Twins Smile

Ya just nipped my next question.

Okay, what was the team name and city of the current Milwaukee Brewers?

And while we are at it, who were the original Brewers, what was the team/city they moved to and played in for years, and now what team/city?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:33 pm

How can you have a WORLD series when only 1 ciuntry is involved, or even invited?
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:38 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Sure, they're the Washington Senators originally. (I too was born quite close to Washington D.C. and moved to Texas Smile )

Sorry, I'll never have anything but contempt for the Yankees. I'm fine with the other teams though, except maybe for the Angels and that's just because of Wilson and Hamilton, so the dislike is temporary.

you like the.....ack ......spit ......barf.......red ......God I cant even say it......socks?
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:39 am

Handy Andy wrote:How can you have a WORLD series when only 1 ciuntry is involved, or even invited?

Actually HA, the Toronto Blue Jays play in Canada.

But you once were right. Toronto was an expansion team, as was Montreal before it moved down to Washington (now called the Washington Nationals). Before the expansion, it was totally in the US.

They originally called it the World Series because they could not conceive of the world being anyplace else. Remember this was the nation that didn't want to get involved in Europe's war (see, Neutrality Act). Before 1941 we were just a humble little nation tucked away in a far away corner...just minding it's own business. Haha...it was their world for them.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:54 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:Should add that that they're not originally the original Washington Senators though; the team that was originally the original Senators is now the Twins Smile

Ya just nipped my next question.

Okay, what was the team name and city of the current Milwaukee Brewers?

And while we are at it, who were the original Brewers, what was the team/city they moved to and played in for years, and now what team/city?

I don't know ... I'm thinking the Braves had something to do with it, and the Brewers were some sort of break-away radical sect involved in all that. If memory serves correctly. Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:27 am

The Braves are a much traveled team too. Originally the Boston Braves, they move to Milwaukee for many years...then on to Atlanta. The current Milwaukee team--the Brewers--were originally the Seattle Pilots.

But there is more. Many, many moons ago there was another team called the Milwaukee Brewers. They moved to St. Louis and became the St. Louis Browns for several years. Finally, they moved to Baltimore and became the Baltimore Orioles.

There is another part to the story too. There was once another team that played in Baltimore and called themselves the Orioles.

Wiki wrote:The Baltimore Orioles were one of the league's original eight clubs; after two years, the organization was replaced by a New York City-based franchise, which became known as the Yankees in 1913.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:23 am

Insanity! Thanks for the baseball history, that's very interesting.

I guess for me, the Yankees will always be the team that treated the rest of the league like its farm system, waiting for other teams' heroes to become free agents so they could go on to become Yankees, and proving time and time again that most people are basically prostitutes ... and here's where I get eddie on my side even though she doesn't care about this otherwise:

Johnny Damon in his days with the Boston Red Sox, who are the Yankees' arch-rivals, and his awe-inspiring beard (but you can tell in this photo that he senses evil on the horizon):

San Francisco wins...in the World Series Johnny-damon

Jonny Damon after signing with the Yankees, who still have a grooming policy (really):

San Francisco wins...in the World Series A_damon_195
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:48 pm

The parable of the Yankees using the league as a 'farm club' started originally as a knock on the Philadelphia Athletics.  Connie Mack, who owned and managed the A's, was a poor boy among kings.  

He could not afford the high salaries.  So he invented 'Billy-ball'.  He would find raw talent in the woods of North Carolina, or wherever, and develop and utilize such 'finds' until they demanded more money.  Then he would trade them...inevitably to the Yankees, always the wealthiest organization.  The original of the joke was that the Athletics were the farm club of the Yankees.

At some point someone realized this said as much about the Yankees as about the A's.  So they turned the tale around and made it about the Yankees' penchant for buying their teams.

It works either way.

Much as I love Cass, I am partial to the Red Sox, as I was born in Cambridge (MA), where my father was a professor of medicine at Harvard University. I still have affection for the Boston area.  If I'm not rooting for the Niners or Raiders, I will pull for the Patriots in football.

Johnny Damon was always a favorite because he was a cutie for the girls, and a pretty good outfielder.  He retired in 2012.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:03 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv_cu0S-q_8

I like the Sox too, if only because they're the enemy of my enemy Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:24 am

both of you are SO off my Xmas card and recipe list.

pfft.

Now its time for Sunday Night Football.....hell of a day so far - The Pack kicked ass, the seahawks and saints got some smackdown and now its GO NINERS (although I want Peyton to take the record secretly)
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:37 am

Cass wrote:both of you are SO off my Xmas card and recipe list.

pfft.

Now its time for Sunday Night Football.....hell of a day so far - The Pack kicked ass, the seahawks and saints got some smackdown and now its GO NINERS (although I want Peyton to take the record secretly)

Payton did break the record.  But the Niners got their arse kicked.  Will be a restless night.  Evil or Very Mad

How bout them Rams? Cards kicked arse on the Raiders, but what else is new with Oakland?

Love the Pack because of Aaron Rogers. Berkeley quarterback, you know. From right up here in the North Bay.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:09 am

nuts. that was awful. do you believe the rumours about JH?

Happy for Peyton though - he's so cute.

Cardinals are on their best start since 1976!!

I'm getting an Aaron Jersey for Xmas.....Santa has explicit instructions to come up with the goods.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:34 am

Cass wrote:nuts. that was awful. do you believe the rumours about JH?

Happy for Peyton though - he's so cute.

Cardinals are on their best start since 1976!!

I'm getting an Aaron Jersey for Xmas.....Santa has explicit instructions to come up with the goods.

Nah...Harbaugh has too good a thing going with the Niners. It is one of the most storied and winning franchises in history.

Aside: Do you know what the oldest NFL team is? The Cardinals...originally from Chicago, calling themselves the South Side Athletic Club.

Niners are without Willis and Bowman, the two best linebackers in the game. Also missing is defensive end/linebacker Aldon Smith. Plus, they lost their entire backfield from last year. But I'm not real happy about our quarterback, Kaepernick. Looks like he gets cold feet without his full cast of players around him.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:37 pm

true. Kap gets this deer in the headlights look and then panics......

wait....I'm not talking to you cause of sox gate........pfft
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:38 pm

true. Kap gets this deer in the headlights look and then panics......

wait....I'm not talking to you cause of sox gate........pfft
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:28 am

San Francisco wins...in the World Series 62063-1Fr

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down