NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Iceland issues Bardarbunga volcano red alert

4 posters

Go down

Iceland issues Bardarbunga volcano red alert Empty Iceland issues Bardarbunga volcano red alert

Post by Guest Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:04 pm

Iceland issues Bardarbunga volcano red alert _77133774_cj8dl8px

Iceland has issued a red alert to the aviation industry for the Bardarbunga volcano, meaning significant ash emissions are likely.

The Icelandic Met Office has warned that a small sub-glacial eruption is under way at Bardarbunga.

On Wednesday, authorities evacuated an area close to the volcano over fears it could erupt.

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull volcano erupted in 2010, producing an ash cloud that severely disrupted air travel.

The red alert is the highest warning on the country's five-point scale.

Bardarbunga is part of a large volcano system hidden beneath the 500-metre (0.31-mile) thick Vatnajokull glacier in central Iceland.

Wednesday's evacuation of several hundred people north of Vatnajokull came after geologists said about 300 earthquakes had been detected in the area since midnight on Tuesday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28913165

Managed to get caught up in this in 2010, my flight out was delayed a week.  I was lucky, I still had my two week holiday in Mauritus but spent the whole time worrying if and when I'd be able to get home  Rolling Eyes

One of my colleagues was stuck in America with the potential costs of £15,000 to be able to get back with his wife and child  affraid 

I wonder what Bardarbunga has in store for us this time???! Iceland issues Bardarbunga volcano red alert Scared23

Back to top Go down

Iceland issues Bardarbunga volcano red alert Empty Re: Iceland issues Bardarbunga volcano red alert

Post by Original Quill Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:27 pm

I saw that.  

BBC wrote:Bardarbunga is part of a large volcano system hidden beneath the 500-metre (0.31-mile) thick Vatnajokull glacier in central Iceland.

What happens if it melts the glacier?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Iceland issues Bardarbunga volcano red alert Empty Re: Iceland issues Bardarbunga volcano red alert

Post by eddie Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:27 pm

I'm flying Tuesday morning  Shocked 
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:57 pm

eddie wrote:I'm flying Tuesday morning  Shocked 

Don't worry Eddie, they won't let you fly if you will be at risk. Earlier reports on Sky News stated that the likelihood of similar disruption was unlikely  I love you x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:01 pm

Iceland issues Bardarbunga volcano red alert

and there was me looking for an ice cream sundae recall due to salmonella.... ::stpat:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:25 am

feelthelove wrote:
eddie wrote:I'm flying Tuesday morning  Shocked 

Don't worry Eddie, they won't let you fly if you will be at risk. Earlier reports on Sky News stated that the likelihood of similar disruption was unlikely  I love you x

Pffff knowing my luck FTL.....  Rolling Eyes xx
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:31 pm

eddie wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

Pffff knowing my luck FTL.....  Rolling Eyes xx

You can breathe again now Eddie, the threat has been lowered again  cheers x

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:10 pm

If it's gonna blow it better do it, and get it done with, before October, I will not be happy if I'm unable to get home  Evil or Very Mad 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:00 pm

Thanks FTL x

Les I'm praying you can get home safely xx
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:57 pm

I'm optimistic Eds but thanks x
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:43 am

Eilzel wrote:If it's gonna blow it better do it, and get it done with, before October, I will not be happy if I'm unable to get home  Evil or Very Mad 

I'm sure it will be fine Les, I hope so as I'm away next month too! Iceland issues Bardarbunga volcano red alert Plane_11 x

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:12 am

They need to fix this!

Laughing
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:41 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:They need to fix this!

Laughing

Like a huge plug. Laughing

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down