NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Historical Conqueror Are You?

+5
Original Quill
harvesmom
Lone Wolf
Eilzel
veya_victaous
9 posters

Go down

Which Historical Conqueror Are You? Empty Which Historical Conqueror Are You?

Post by veya_victaous Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:36 am

http://www.buzzfeed.com/javiermoreno/which-historical-conqueror-are-you#4a8vgew

Which Historical Conqueror Are You? Enhanced-26986-1407256510-7
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Which Historical Conqueror Are You? Empty Re: Which Historical Conqueror Are You?

Post by veya_victaous Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:38 am

Which Historical Conqueror Are You? Vlad10

And No one in the comments got Vlad  confused 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Which Historical Conqueror Are You? Empty Re: Which Historical Conqueror Are You?

Post by Eilzel Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:44 am

Alexander the Great :-)
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:36 am

You got: Hernán Cortés

Which Historical Conqueror Are You? 3b7a25f6281d72aa1fd799f71c79aa42-2

You’re an explorer by your very nature. Your inquisitive nature means you’re always traveling and trying out new things. When you see something you want you are relentless at pushing forward to get it  ::D:: 

Cortés was a Spanish conquistador (soldier and explorer) who conquered the vast Aztec empire in central America.

Hernán (or Hernando) Cortés was born in 1485 in Medellín, western Spain. He initially studied law but left university to make his fortune in the Americas.

In 1504 he sailed for Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic), moving to Cuba in 1511 where he assisted Diego Velázquez in his conquest of the island and made his reputation for courage and daring.

In 1518 Cortés persuaded Velázquez, who was now governor, to make him commander of an expedition to Mexico. It had only recently been discovered by Europeans and was rumoured to contain great wealth.

Shortly before Cortés set sail, Velázquez, who was now suspicious of his motives, cancelled his commission. Cortés ignored Velázquez and set out. On arrival he established a settlement (now Veracruz) and made local allies.

The major civilisation in the region was that of the Aztecs, led by Montezuma II. Cortés headed for the Aztec capital, Tenochtitlán, which was a three-month journey over difficult terrain. It is thought that Cortés’ arrival coincided with an Aztec prophecy about a white-skinned god arriving from the east, which would explain why Montezuma welcomed Cortés and gave him lavish gifts. However, relations quickly deteriorated and, fearing an attack, Cortés took Montezuma hostage, demanding a huge ransom from his people.

In April 1520, Velázquez sent an expedition to capture Cortés. As Cortés left to fight the expedition, an Aztec revolt began in Tenochtitlán. Cortés returned and obliged Montezuma to face the crowd, but the Aztec leader was struck by a stone and died. The Spanish were driven out of the city, incurring heavy losses.

Cortés re-organised his forces and in 1521 returned to Tenochtitlán, which fell after a three-month siege. A new settlement, Mexico City, was built on the ruins and settled with Spanish colonists, becoming the centre of Spanish America. Cortés secured control over Mexico, inflicting great cruelty on the indigenous population. Western diseases such as smallpox also caused huge fatalities.

In 1523 Cortés was named governor and captain general of New Spain. In 1528, amid Spanish fears that he was becoming too powerful, he was forced to return to Spain where the king reinstated him as captain general, but not to the position of civil governor. On his return to Mexico, his powers were significantly limited and his activities monitored. He continued to explore Central America, hoping to find a strait from the Atlantic to the Pacific. He failed, instead discovering, and naming, California.

In 1541, Cortés returned to Spain an embittered man and retired to an estate near Seville where he died on 2 December 1547.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic_figures/cortes_hernan.shtml

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:00 am

I am jealous now, I've just read a book about Cortes FtL and it was well exciting. He was as much an opportunist though as a great conqueror, and very lucky too. But one of the most important men in the history of the New World no doubt Smile x
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by harvesmom Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:48 pm

I got

You got: Hernán Cortés

You’re an explorer by your very nature. Your inquisitive nature means you’re always traveling and trying out new things. When you see something you want you are relentless at pushing forward to get it.

I can't believe I just spend 5 mins of my life that I won't get back doing that  lol! 
harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:01 pm

Albert Einstein. Conquered the world, and had a nice house in Princeton, NJ.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:20 pm

Eilzel wrote:I am jealous now, I've just read a book about Cortes FtL and it was well exciting. He was as much an opportunist though as a great conqueror, and very lucky too. But one of the most important men in the history of the New World no doubt Smile x

Hi Les  I love you x
I'm embarrassed to say I hadn't heard of him Which Historical Conqueror Are You? Ashame26 but you know me, I love the google! Which Historical Conqueror Are You? Google10

Lots of reference to the Caribbean, do you think it's just a coincidence?! Which Historical Conqueror Are You? Sungla13

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:47 pm

FTL...have you never heard of the Cortés Banks, in the Pacific Ocean off San Diego?  Great mid-oceanic surfing.

Which Historical Conqueror Are You? 09surf.GFX

Last edited by Original Quill on Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:49 pm

You got: Julius Caesar
You command respect from everyone around you. No one is better at getting out of tight situations. People who don’t like you look at you with envy. It doesn’t matter. Your name will be remembered for years to come.

Which Historical Conqueror Are You? Highres_14230483_xlarge
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:50 pm

Which Historical Conqueror Are You? 8a8a8c68488c014e7b273028a8f89329.600x447x1

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:00 pm

Original Quill wrote:FTL...have you never heard of the Cortés Banks, in the Pacific Ocean off San Diego?  Great mid-oceanic surfing.

Which Historical Conqueror Are You? 09surf.GFX

Hi Quill  I love you x

No I haven't, WOW that looks amazing!

Which Historical Conqueror Are You? 2Q==

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:01 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:You got: Julius Caesar
You command respect from everyone around you. No one is better at getting out of tight situations. People who don’t like you look at you with envy. It doesn’t matter. Your name will be remembered for years to come.

Which Historical Conqueror Are You? Highres_14230483_xlarge

Heck Which Historical Conqueror Are You? Master11 x

Back to top Go down

Post by captain Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:02 pm

Which Historical Conqueror Are You?
You got: Sun Tzu Which Historical Conqueror Are You? 466df010
You are supremely wise, patient, and above all, an astute observer. Your wisdom is renowned the world over. When it comes to solving problems, you tend to think deeply rather than rush to action.
captain
captain
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:31 pm

captainJane wrote:Which Historical Conqueror Are You?    
You got: Sun Tzu     Which Historical Conqueror Are You? 466df010
You are supremely wise, patient, and above all, an astute observer. Your wisdom is renowned the world over. When it comes to solving problems, you tend to think deeply rather than rush to action.

I always keep meaning to read 'The Art of War' but somehow I almost always end up picking some sci-fi novel instead  Cool 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:59 pm

Haha, most of it is self-evident and obvious. But it must have been kinda sensational when he wrote it down.

It's kind of like Machiavelli...takes you back for all its bluntness and candor.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by scrat Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:26 pm

Coolio

Which Historical Conqueror Are You? C5c02e6decae3356d771b2b5c196969b-1
scrat
scrat
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:33 pm

You got: William the Conqueror
First of all, your name has the word “conqueror” in it. That rules. You obviously know what it takes to get want you want. You are willing to work hard to succeed, and once success is achieved, you work even harder to maintain it. No one ever became a “Conqueror” by being lazy.

Snap Scrat!

Back to top Go down

Post by scrat Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:36 pm

Sassy wrote:You got: William the Conqueror
First of all, your name has the word “conqueror” in it. That rules. You obviously know what it takes to get want you want. You are willing to work hard to succeed, and once success is achieved, you work even harder to maintain it. No one ever became a “Conqueror” by being lazy.

Snap Scrat!
Great minds think alike, Sassy!
scrat
scrat
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:38 pm

scrat wrote:
Sassy wrote:You got: William the Conqueror

Snap Scrat!
Great minds think alike, Sassy!

Though I'm not quite sure what liking sticky ribs has to do with it lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:38 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:Smile 

Mr. Sun's "The Art of War" is available online as a free download..

I've had a copy of it on my computer(s) for a while now.    Twisted Evil

Yeah, I have at least one version of it on practically all my devices  geek 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:41 pm

Original Quill wrote:Haha, most of it is self-evident and obvious.  But it must have been kinda sensational when he wrote it down.

It's kind of like Machiavelli...takes you back for all its bluntness and candor.

And what kills me is that at least, I've heard The Prince was supposed to be satire ...  pale 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:34 pm

Original Quill wrote:Haha, most of it is self-evident and obvious.  But it must have been kinda sensational when he wrote it down.

+1  Cool 

veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:44 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

And what kills me is that at least, I've heard The Prince was supposed to be satire ...  pale 

it is a satire in that it blunt with the truth rather than hidden in 'courtly dignity'. It also is a message to the common people saying This is how people have to act to get and hold power... and generally they are not better people because of it  Neutral 

it makes sense when taking into account the time it was written, when the ideals of 'Chivalric honour' were being replaced by 'Mercantile Princes'.. Now we are used to the Mercantile prince we have just renamed them CEOs  Wink 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:18 am

Atilla the Hun

phooey I wanted Vlad.

the meat question was NOT fair.....how can I possibly choose between brisket, sausages, ham AND bacon......I want them ALL
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:54 am

Cass wrote:Atilla the Hun

phooey I wanted Vlad.

the meat question was NOT fair.....how can I possibly choose between brisket,  sausages, ham AND bacon......I want them ALL

Yeah they all looked good  Razz 

Atilla is Better I think

Vlad while fearsome is not really a conqueror.  Neutral 

veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:06 am

veya_victaous wrote:

phooey I wanted Vlad.

the meat question was NOT fair.....how can I possibly choose between brisket,  sausages, ham AND bacon......I want them ALL

Yeah they all looked good  Razz 

Atilla is Better I think

Vlad while fearsome is not really a conqueror.  Neutral 

true......but still its a cooler name

surprised no one has gotten genghis but maybe he isn't an option but I do like his grills Cool

http://www.genghisgrill.com/

Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:12 am

phooey I wanted Vlad.

Spoken like the real conqueror.  Go and get it all, girl.  Let the dogs have the bones.  Lol.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:47 am

Lone Wolf wrote:
Cass wrote:
Atilla the Hun

cheers 

SAME as little ol' moi...

:::cass:::

great minds and all that...... Cool

Quill the only thing missing was fish.....specifically shrimp.....and lobster....and scallops ....and muscles.....and crab

Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down