NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ed Miliband calls for public Prime Minister's Questions

Go down

Ed Miliband calls for public Prime Minister's Questions  Empty Ed Miliband calls for public Prime Minister's Questions

Post by Guest Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:38 am

The public should have their own version of Prime Minister's Questions, Labour leader Ed Miliband has said.

He told the BBC he was preparing a formal proposal calling for voters to be allowed to question the prime minister in the Palace of Westminster. MPs currently do so on Wednesdays.

Mr Miliband said it would bridge the "mile-wide" gulf between what people want and what they get from PMQs.

Asked if the idea was a gimmick, Mr Miliband said: "No, it's serious."
Inches of glass

Mr Miliband told the Andrew Marr Show he wanted to "let the public in to our politics" and promised he would not try to pack a potential audience with his own supporters.

"I think what we need is a public question time where regularly the prime minister submits himself or herself to questioning from members of the public in the Palace of Westminster on Wednesdays," he said.

"At the moment there are a few inches of glass that separates the public in the gallery from the House of Commons but there is a gulf a mile wide between the kind of politics people want and what Prime Minister's Questions offers."

Labour said the proposed "Public Question Time" would be held once a fortnight and possibly weekly in Parliament, if permitted by the Speaker.

Those asking questions "would be chosen by a method to ensure a wide representation of the country and political backgrounds".

A spokesperson for House of Commons Speaker John Bercow said the Speaker would "look at Mr Miliband's suggestions with interest, when he receives them".

"Clearly, any changes would be a matter for the House," the spokesperson said.

Mr Miliband said he wanted to "find ways to change our political culture".

"It's not just about putting the photo opportunity first," he stressed.

He said he was aiming at "a different type of leadership that has listening as part of leading".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28509014

Now that's a bloody good idea!

Back to top Go down

Ed Miliband calls for public Prime Minister's Questions  Empty Re: Ed Miliband calls for public Prime Minister's Questions

Post by Fluffyx Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:42 am

Agreed,Sassy it is a good idea! ::ftlcheer:: ::ftlcheer:: ::ftlcheer:: 

However the Speaker sounds ready to dismiss the idea I think.
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Ed Miliband calls for public Prime Minister's Questions  Empty Re: Ed Miliband calls for public Prime Minister's Questions

Post by Guest Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:43 am

FluffyBunny wrote:Agreed,Sassy it is a good idea! ::ftlcheer:: ::ftlcheer:: ::ftlcheer:: 

Give him a good slap and tell him it's our Parliament, not his!

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:35 am

Sassy wrote:
FluffyBunny wrote:Agreed,Sassy it is a good idea! ::ftlcheer:: ::ftlcheer:: ::ftlcheer:: 

Give him a good slap and tell him it's our Parliament, not his!

You're right!

I will!
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down