NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sinkholes threaten to swallow up Florida homes and people

3 posters

Go down

Sinkholes threaten to swallow up Florida homes and people Empty Sinkholes threaten to swallow up Florida homes and people

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:11 am

Sinkholes threaten to swallow up Florida homes and people Usa-0721-Sinkhole_full_600

A massive sinkhole opened up in a Florida front lawn over the weekend and is now threatening to consume several Tampa-area homes.

The gaping crater measuring 40 feet wide and 30 feet deep appeared in Spring Hill, located about 50 miles north of Tampa, and comes little more than a year after a similar sinkhole swallowed a Tampa man while he slept.

Linda Fisher — who was out of town when ground crumbled away near her home — returned Sunday to retrieve her belongings, including her cat, before evacuating.

City officials were scheduled to survey the site Monday to determine if her neighbors' homes are safe.

"It's devastating," Fisher, 64, told WTSP-TV. "You don't expect it."

Perhaps she should have. Sinkholes like the one that partially swallowed Fisher's street and front yard are common in the Sunshine State.

In March 2013, a 30-foot wide, 20-foot deep sinkhole near Tampa swallowed 36-year-old Jeff Bush as he slept in his bed. His body was never recovered.

http://news.yahoo.com/sinkhole-florida-spring-hill-173832870.html
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Sinkholes threaten to swallow up Florida homes and people Empty Re: Sinkholes threaten to swallow up Florida homes and people

Post by Original Quill Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:51 am

Saw that. They are filling it in with tons and tons of concrete.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Sinkholes threaten to swallow up Florida homes and people Empty Re: Sinkholes threaten to swallow up Florida homes and people

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:58 am

Original Quill wrote:Saw that.  They are filling it in with tons and tons of concrete.

I'm sure that sounds like a good idea at the present time Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:12 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Original Quill wrote:Saw that.  They are filling it in with tons and tons of concrete.

My thoughts exactly.  Just when they fill the sucker in,  erm, another one opens up across the street.  Lol.

Quick! Bring back the cement truck.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:17 am

Original Quill wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

My thoughts exactly.  Just when they fill the sucker in,  erm, another one opens up across the street.  Lol.

Quick!  Bring back the cement truck.

I"m no geophysicist, but it seems like there are probably some problems with pressure differentials that all the cement in the world can't fix ...

Reminds me of Katrina, when people were asking why anybody would build in a hurricane-prone place like New Orleans in the first place. Ignoring that the people who built these places decades to centuries ago had only short-term ideas of what conditions were like where they were building, and of course were often motivated by a short-term boom or something.

I don't know why, but tonight I seem to be trying to pull everything into my umbrella theory of People are Really Stupid (totally original, I know)
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:34 am

@ben
that is not a theory  Neutral Neutral Neutral  fairly sure that has been proven beyond doubt

but sinkholes
Scary huh.... we have been getting a few down here too  affraid 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:37 am

veya_victaous wrote:@ben
that is not a theory  Neutral Neutral Neutral   fairly sure that has been proven beyond doubt

but sinkholes
Scary huh....  we have been getting a few down here too  affraid 

Let me hazard a guess that it's mainly happening closer to the ocean? Which is in no way rising, according to our friends on the right side of the aisle? Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:38 am

Mount Gambier is one of a very small handful of places in the world with the soft limestone bedrock that creates deep, circular, spectacular sinkholes like the ones found in Mexico and Florida.

Beneath the regional centre of Mount Gambier is a myriad of caves. According to Aussie geologist and sinkhole buff, Ian Lewis, the only things keeping them from collapsing are the dry conditions and relatively stable water table.

“Mount Gambier only has a population of 20,000, but if you built a city there with a few million people, it would be the next Florida," Lewis said.

In addition to southern Australia’s Limestone Coast, the northern suburbs of Perth, parts of Canberra, Newcastle, the Nullarbor Plain and western NSW have have seen sinkholes appear in recent years.

Australia’s largest sinkhole has a lake at its floor and it is a popular tourist attraction, but our diving expedition to the bottom of two at Ewen's Ponds and Piccaninnie Ponds, which no one has ever been to the bottom of, revealed the caves that could be the next sinkholes waiting to happen
Bechtel explained to Sunday Night that if your home happens to be built over limestone, beneath it the ground will be “like Swiss cheese” and riddled with caves. Groundwater dissolves the limestone until, in the right conditions, all it takes is heavy rain or a faulty sewer to trigger a dramatic and dangerous sinkhole.

“A sinkhole is basically a hole underneath the ground that is slowly eating its way up. The roof gets higher and higher until the weight of someone walking over the top or a truck driving over collapses the roof.

"That vertical tunnel has probably been eating its way up for days, if not months or years.”

He also believes human activity is causing more sinkholes than ever before. In the right conditions something as simple as urban drainage, that concentrates water runoff in one place rather than dispersing it, can cause a sinkhole.

“Sinkholes happen naturally but very, very rarely. Without humans around, one sinkhole may occur in a lifetime," Bechtel said.

"It’s scientifically fascinating, but from a human standpoint it is very much a tragedy. I think people have a right to be very nervous. There are going to be a lot more catastrophic sinkholes.”

https://au.news.yahoo.com/sunday-night/features/a/22907841/sinkholes-in-australia-where-and-when-can-they-strike/
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:39 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:@ben
that is not a theory  Neutral Neutral Neutral   fairly sure that has been proven beyond doubt

but sinkholes
Scary huh....  we have been getting a few down here too  affraid 

Let me hazard a guess that it's mainly happening closer to the ocean? Which is in no way rising, according to our friends on the right side of the aisle? Smile

Nope mainly where we have dug heaps of stuff out of the ground  ::D::  who'd have thought  Rolling Eyes 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:40 am

So glad I live in Texas, where the only fear is your brain baking inside your skull from the heat or being whisked away by a pesky tornado ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:42 am

we had one is Brisbane (that is near the coast) and they were saying it was caused by the storm water drain, it had a hole and no one knew so it has eroded a huge hole under the roadway and drains and it just reached the point where it couldn't hold up the weight ion the surface any more.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:04 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Sinkholes threaten to swallow up Florida homes and people Usa-0721-Sinkhole_full_600

A massive sinkhole opened up in a Florida front lawn over the weekend and is now threatening to consume several Tampa-area homes.

The gaping crater measuring 40 feet wide and 30 feet deep appeared in Spring Hill, located about 50 miles north of Tampa, and comes little more than a year after a similar sinkhole swallowed a Tampa man while he slept.

Linda Fisher — who was out of town when ground crumbled away near her home — returned Sunday to retrieve her belongings, including her cat, before evacuating.

City officials were scheduled to survey the site Monday to determine if her neighbors' homes are safe.

"It's devastating," Fisher, 64, told WTSP-TV. "You don't expect it."

Perhaps she should have. Sinkholes like the one that partially swallowed Fisher's street and front yard are common in the Sunshine State.

In March 2013, a 30-foot wide, 20-foot deep sinkhole near Tampa swallowed 36-year-old Jeff Bush as he slept in his bed. His body was never recovered.

http://news.yahoo.com/sinkhole-florida-spring-hill-173832870.html
Florada Mmmm isn`t that where fox news has it`s highest viewing figures
IE old RW republican retires ,survivalists and 2nd amendment nuts,are in the majority

.....................Oh dear how sad ........and for a moment i thought that said JED bush and wondered had the bush`s lord and master sent for them ???

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:10 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:So glad I live in Texas, where the only fear is your brain baking inside your skull from the heat or being whisked away by a pesky tornado...
Oh I don't know only fear   :-) ??

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:22 pm

You make a good point, KD.  I have had this notion for some time that god is punishing Florida for Trayvon Martin.

Good job, god.  Lol

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down