NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Escape To Victory, Classic WWII Football Film, Set For Remake

Go down

Escape To Victory, Classic WWII Football Film, Set For Remake Empty Escape To Victory, Classic WWII Football Film, Set For Remake

Post by Guest Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:55 am

The wonderful if somewhat improbable football film Escape To Victory is set to be replayed, with a new version reportedly in development. According to the Hollywood Reporter, Doug Liman, whose films include Swingers and The Bourne Identity, is said to be involved in the remake.
The original, which hit theatres in 1981 and was directed by John Huston, featured Michael Caine and Sylvester Stallone, alongside a raft of recently retired international players, as the prisoner-of-war team selected to play against the German national team during the height of the Second World War.

Alongside Stallone, who played goalkeeper Hatch, and Caine, who played former midfield general John Colby ("West Ham United and England"), the cast included such luminaries of the actual game as Pele, Bobby Moore, John Wark and Mike Summerbee, all seemingly trying to outdo each other as to who could put in the most wooden performance over 90 minutes.
There is no word yet as to who will be cast in the new film, but it wouldn't take much imagination to see former England man David Beckham lined up in some form of starring role.
Who would you like to see star in the remake? Tell us in the comments below…

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/06/27/escape-to-victory-classic-world-war-2-football-film-set-for-a-remmake_n_5537192.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Back to top Go down

Escape To Victory, Classic WWII Football Film, Set For Remake Empty Re: Escape To Victory, Classic WWII Football Film, Set For Remake

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:01 am

May I suggest that if it's a Liman film, Matt Damon will probably be in it? Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Escape To Victory, Classic WWII Football Film, Set For Remake Empty Re: Escape To Victory, Classic WWII Football Film, Set For Remake

Post by Guest Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:04 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:May I suggest that if it's a Liman film, Matt Damon will probably be in it? Smile

lol, you could be right Ben, though am interested to see which footballers they choose, like the original or will they be dull and just choose actors?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:09 am

Didge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:May I suggest that if it's a Liman film, Matt Damon will probably be in it? Smile

lol, you could be right Ben, though am interesting to see which footballers they choose, like the original or will they be dull and just choose actors?

The footballer selection should be very interesting. I'm basing Damon on the fact that he's in a lot of films Limon has been involved with, plus his role in the Mandela film makes him seem a natural.

I really hope to not see Beckham, though Smile I think Liman will do a good job on this, if he could rescue Hayden Christianson from the ignominy of the Star Wars prequels, he can do anything!

Here's an idea -- wouldn't Henry make an interesting choice? He'd have had two strikes against him according to the Nazis ... French and black ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:13 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:

lol, you could be right Ben, though am interesting to see which footballers they choose, like the original or will they be dull and just choose actors?

The footballer selection should be very interesting. I'm basing Damon on the fact that he's in a lot of films Limon has been involved with, plus his role in the Mandela film makes him seem a natural.

I really hope to not see Beckham, though Smile I think Liman will do a good job on this, if he could rescue Hayden Christianson from the ignominy of the Star Wars prequels, he can do anything!

Here's an idea -- wouldn't Henry make an interesting choice? He'd have had two strikes against him according to the Nazis ... French and black ...

That is an interesting point and would easily pass as historical with their colonial troops etc for the time. I would say Beckham would be a must really, but would go for an English actor in Benedict Cumberbatch to play the Captain role, that was originally played by Michael Caine. Who knows but leads to some interesting choices they could make

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:31 am

Didge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:

That is an interesting point and would easily pass as historical with their colonial troops etc for the time. I would say Beckham would be a must really, but would go for an English actor in Benedict Cumberbatch to play the Captain role, that was originally played by Michael Caine. Who knows but leads to some interesting choices they could make

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think it would be a real missed opportunity to not have Henry playing a Legionaire POW or something like that.

But does Beckham *have* to be in it? Smile Sorry, my opinion probably comes from the fact that he has a bit of a negative reputation here in the U.S., as a guy who appeared to think the presence of his name on the L.A. Galaxy roster (whether he bothered to play or not) would instantly elevate U.S. soccer to world class ...

I got to see Henry play in person with my own eyeballs and feel lucky to have -- he may be getting old but damn, he's still got some moves!

Couldn't Gerrard take the role intended (possibly) for Beckham, though? Smile Be a bit more current at least  Razz  Razz  Razz 

Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:41 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think it would be a real missed opportunity to not have Henry playing a Legionaire POW or something like that.

But does Beckham *have* to be in it? Smile Sorry, my opinion probably comes from the fact that he has a bit of a negative reputation here in the U.S., as a guy who appeared to think the presence of his name on the L.A. Galaxy roster (whether he bothered to play or not) would instantly elevate U.S. soccer to world class ...

I got to see Henry play in person with my own eyeballs and feel lucky to have -- he may be getting old but damn, he's still got some moves!

Couldn't Gerrard take the role intended (possibly) for Beckham, though? Smile Be a bit more current at least  Razz  Razz  Razz 

Interesting on Gerrard, would be a good choice being quintessentially English, but think being as Beckham is so well known he would be asked. Am interested also to see if and which other European players they would choose also, it could make for one hell of a team.

I got to watch Henry loads Ben, when I was still a season ticket holder at Arsenal, he will always be a legend there like Dennis Bergkamp, both astounding players, something to this day I am proud I got to both watch  ::D:: .

Think you will appreciate this wonder goal by Dennis

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:55 am

I had never seen that Bergkamp goal, that was fantastic!!! Actually the magical ball-handling on the pass was more impressive than the strike itself, that was just brilliant Smile

Yeah, Beckham is the Michael Jackson of soccer, there's probably no way he doesn't get offered a role just on his drawing power and the fact that his name's already been in the title of a hit movie.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:00 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:I had never seen that Bergkamp goal, that was fantastic!!! Actually the magical ball-handling on the pass was more impressive than the strike itself, that was just brilliant Smile

Yeah, Beckham is the Michael Jackson of soccer, there's probably no way he doesn't get offered a role just on his drawing power and the fact that his name's already been in the title of a hit movie.

It is brilliant ball control, one I can watch over an over, leaving the defender flat on the floor   lol! 

Just thought, I wonder if they would also have Vinnie Jones, but unsure how he is after he starting having treatment for cancer?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:05 am

Jones definitely deserves a role if he can manage it, especially seeing how he wasn't in A Shot at Glory, which would have seemed to be a great movie to have him in Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:08 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Jones definitely deserves a role if he can manage it, especially seeing how he wasn't in A Shot at Glory, which would have seemed to be a great movie to have him in Smile

I think he is great and hope he is getting better and his wife too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down