NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An impossible answer?

5 posters

Go down

An impossible answer? Empty An impossible answer?

Post by Guest Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:02 pm

Do you think you can really remember your first ever memory doing something as a child?

Whatever it was...ice cream van, eating your tea, opening Xmas presses?

I'm sure we remember many or some things since childhood, but we may well think something was our first memory, but get mixed up in the order of what memory was first?

I'll do a BA here....

Please discuss.

Back to top Go down

An impossible answer? Empty Re: An impossible answer?

Post by Original Quill Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:21 pm

It's hard to distinguish between first memory and someone telling you about it later on in life.

I remember a first thought, but I'm not sure it wasn't someone recalling my reaction...or something involving me. In that case it might not be my first recollection, but someone telling me about me which inserts the thought in a place before all others.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:24 pm

Original Quill wrote:It's hard to distinguish between first memory and someone telling you about it later on in life.  

I remember a first thought, but I'm not sure it wasn't someone recalling my reaction...or something involving me.  In that case it might not be my first recollection, but someone telling me about me which inserts the thought in a place before all others.

::smthg:: Laughing 

See what I mean Quill?...

I've yet to meet or talk to anyone who can honestly have their first memory confirmed as correct by a parent or guardian without having to tell them what their memory was first!

Cheers!Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:29 pm

Absolutely have a first memory. My Dad was stationed abroad, my Mum and I were living with Nan and Grandad in a small flat in Wandsworth. I was about 2. Mum was doing the ironing and chatting to Nan, I climbed up on the armchair next to her, and trying to get her attention, put my hand on the ironing board and she accidently put the iron on my hand. She was so upset, she ran my hand under the cold tap, put a bandage on it and put me in the pushchair to take me to Wandsworth Common to take my mind off it. There was a Walls 'stop me and buy one' ice cream man there (like a trike with a refrigerated box he pulled behind it). She bought me an ice cream, real luxury then. Later I wanted another one, so I remember holding my hand and crying and crying until she bought me another!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:32 pm

The first memory I know for certain is my own was a drizzly day when I was really young and my mother left to do some laundry at the apartment laundry mat maybe 100 feet from where we lived. It was the first time I could think of that I was aware I was feeling lonely.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:33 pm

Sassy wrote:Absolutely have a first memory.   My Dad was stationed abroad, my Mum and I were living with Nan and Grandad in a small flat in Wandsworth.   I was about 2.   Mum was doing the ironing and chatting to Nan, I climbed up on the armchair next to her, and trying to get her attention, put my hand on the ironing board and she accidently put the iron on my hand.   She was so upset, she ran my hand under the cold tap, put a bandage on it and put me in the pushchair to take me to Wandsworth Common to take my mind off it.   There was a Walls 'stop me and buy one' ice cream man there (like a trike with a refrigerated box he pulled behind it).    She bought me an ice cream, real luxury then.   Later I wanted another one, so I remember holding my hand and crying and crying until she bought me another!

That's a great wee story there Sass...

I'm not trying to be funny or say your wrong.....but how do you know for sure this was your first memory? Laughing

I know you were only two and that's really young , but you might have had a memory before that and forgotten now! Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:The first memory I know for certain is my own was a drizzly day when I was really young and my mother left to do some laundry at the apartment laundry mat maybe 100 feet from where we lived. It was the first time I could think of that I was aware I was feeling lonely.

I really sound like an annoying fcuker here Ben,,,as with Sassy, how do you know that was your first memory for sure and that you had one before but maybe forgot? Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:36 pm

Obviously very possible JD, but that is the only one that I can remember something that happened for a whole afternoon. I have fleeting memories of other things, but would not be able to place them at a particular time. I guess the iron hurting made it stick, and the ice cream of course!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:41 pm

Sassy wrote:Obviously very possible JD, but that is the only one that I can remember something that happened for a whole afternoon.   I have fleeting memories of other things, but would not be able to place them at a particular time.   I guess the iron hurting made it stick, and the ice cream of course!

I guess that does make sense about you hurting yourself Sass, because the pain has made it stick in your mind!, so that alone is quote a significant event to have as a nipper!...ouch!...

Soothed by ice cream though! Yummy!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:49 pm

Sassy's right.  I have other memories...but logic tells me that chronologically that can't be first.

Inside, my first memory was of the nanny when we lived in Florida.  I was between 1 and 2.  But I also have a memory of sitting on the grass on the Naval Air Base, watching the fighter planes land on the flight line.  The latter memory has to be later, cause we lived on the NAB at a later time.

If I didn't know that I could tag it as my first memory.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephenmarra Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:51 pm

No, my memory has been blurred by the many photographs.
i.e. do I remember getting a new football strip and ball or just looking at the photos  and think I do.  confused
Stephenmarra
Stephenmarra
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:24 pm

Joy Division wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:The first memory I know for certain is my own was a drizzly day when I was really young and my mother left to do some laundry at the apartment laundry mat maybe 100 feet from where we lived. It was the first time I could think of that I was aware I was feeling lonely.

I really sound like an annoying fcuker here Ben,,,as with Sassy, how do you know that was your first memory for sure and that you had one before but maybe forgot? Laughing 

I actually think I have a good answer for that JD, and that is that I had this epiphany that I was thinking about my own thoughts, and that was a pretty new experience at the time Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:24 pm

Oh, but I could easily have forgotten other memories I used to have had before.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:33 pm

Original Quill wrote:Sassy's right.  I have other memories...but logic tells me that chronologically that can't be first.

Inside, my first memory was of the nanny when we lived in Florida.  I was between 1 and 2.  But I also have a memory of sitting on the grass on the Naval Air Base, watching the fighter planes land on the flight line.  The latter memory has to be later, cause we lived on the NAB at a later time.

farnbourgh air show in the late 60s I remember watching the Daleks shoot a plane out of the sky with Patrick Troughton in jeep chasing them on the airfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:07 pm

Korban_Dallas wrote:
Original Quill wrote:Sassy's right.  I have other memories...but logic tells me that chronologically that can't be first.

farnbourgh air show in the late 60s I remember watching the Daleks shoot a plane out of the sky with Patrick Troughton in  jeep chasing them on the airfield

That's a fantastic memory, love it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:47 pm

I have a vague memory of being a human cannonball with a wriggly tail being fired into a warm swimming pool and head butting a medicine ball.
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephenmarra Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:58 pm

Handy Andy wrote:I have a vague memory of being a human cannonball with a wriggly tail being fired into a warm swimming pool and head butting a medicine ball.
 ::smthg::  ::smthg::  ::smthg::
Stephenmarra
Stephenmarra
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:03 pm

I do have a first memory that my mum can remember too!

I went upstairs to get my dad's shoes, I was about 3, they were so big and cumbersome that as I was bringing them down the stairs I fell heed over heels all the way to the bottom.

Both my mum and dad remember that one.

And another: I was about 4, and my mum popped along the street, two doers down, to ask the water meter man (neither of us remember if it was water or electric) something, and I cried and looked for her.
Later I told my dad that my mum was in the neighbours house with the meter man.

HAHAHAHAHA she remembers that because of the look he gave her!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:14 pm

eddie wrote:I do have a first memory that my mum can remember too!

I went upstairs to get my dad's shoes, I was about 3, they were so big and cumbersome that as I was bringing them down the stairs I fell heed over heels all the way to the bottom.

And another: I was about 4, and my mum popped along the street, two doers down, to ask the water meter man (neither of us remember if it was water or electric) something, and I cried and looked for her.

I like that one! Another one of mine is when i was between 3 and 4. Dad was sent to Singapore and Mum and I followed by ship. When we started out I was a pretty little girl with long blonde hair. During the journey, which took some time, I played hairdressers with a little boy and he cut all my hair off, then I fell down the main staircase and was covered in grazes, and the nearer we got to our destination, the hotter it got and unbeknown to anyone I became allergic to eggs and came out in boils! I'll never forget running down the plankway to see my Dad and the look on his face!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:16 pm

Laughing  That's a belter is that one!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephenmarra Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:39 pm

Handy Andy wrote:I have a vague memory of being a human cannonball with a wriggly tail being fired into a warm swimming pool and head butting a medicine ball.

Razz 
Stephenmarra
Stephenmarra
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:41 pm

That's me. 3rd one from the left. The one with the huge tail!
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:42 pm

Sassy wrote:

I like that one!   Another one of mine is when i was between 3 and 4.   Dad was sent to Singapore and Mum and I followed by ship.   When we started out I was a pretty little girl with long blonde hair.   During the journey, which took some time, I played hairdressers with a little boy and he cut all my hair off, then I fell down the main staircase and was covered in grazes, and the nearer we got to our destination, the hotter it got and unbeknown to anyone I became allergic to eggs and came out in boils!   I'll never forget running down the plankway to see my Dad and the look on his face!

Gawd you must've looked like a right sight!  Shocked 

Hahahaha what with your gammy scarred hand too!  lol! 
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:04 am

eddie wrote:
Sassy wrote:

I like that one!   Another one of mine is when i was between 3 and 4.   Dad was sent to Singapore and Mum and I followed by ship.   When we started out I was a pretty little girl with long blonde hair.   During the journey, which took some time, I played hairdressers with a little boy and he cut all my hair off, then I fell down the main staircase and was covered in grazes, and the nearer we got to our destination, the hotter it got and unbeknown to anyone I became allergic to eggs and came out in boils!   I'll never forget running down the plankway to see my Dad and the look on his face!

Hahahaha what with your gammy scarred  hand too!  lol! 

Luckily my hand healed well, but I think my Dad was pretty traumatised, and if I had been him I might have pretended I wasn't his lol

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:23 am

Sassy wrote:
eddie wrote:

Hahahaha what with your gammy scarred  hand too!  lol! 

Luckily my hand healed well, but I think my Dad was pretty traumatised, and if I had been him I might have pretended I wasn't his lol

Hahahahahaha all daddy's think their daughters are beautiful though x

My dad always used to say to "Babe you're very pretty but you've got messy hair and scruffy shoes"

That was when I was 16, had a loads of curly tousled hair (as was the fashion) and grubby old converse on!
Hahaha never forget those words. I'm still one for a messy hair do and converse'
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:26 am

OH is getting a bit perplexed, having been a trousers and top girl all my life, even if with heels, I've suddenly decided I like maxi dresses, he thinks I've changed personalities with someone else lol You gotta keep 'em guessing!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:30 am

Sassy wrote:OH is getting a bit perplexed, having been a trousers and top girl all my life, even if with heels, I've suddenly decided I like maxi dresses, he thinks I've changed personalities with someone else lol   You gotta keep 'em guessing!

lol! 

I really have an eclectic taste when it comes to clothes and shoes.
I do range from smart casual to downright out there.

My main comfort zone though, and what I always revert back to is jeans and a pretty blouse (hippy style) lots of bracelets, converse and perfume.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:42 am

....The toilets at my nursery school, they were lower so it was easier to have a piss.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:50 am

This is where I get confused on my own memories. If your mum and dad remember, then they must have communicated it to you. How do you know you are not just remember the retelling, rather than the original event?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:16 am

Original Quill wrote:

This is where I get confused on my own memories.  If your mum and dad remember, then they must have communicated it to you.  How do you know you are not just remember the retelling, rather than the original event?

Because I actually remember it, and I remember asking them about it and they told me that yes, it happened.

I can feel a physical difference when I remember something as to being told something then vaguely recalling it.

Perhaps that's the difference? When you remember, you remember, when it's someone else's memory you will recall aspects of it?

Just thought of another which I actually remember as clearly as anything and my mum absolutely remember this:

I was in my pram - about 4 or 5 - and I was eating a boiled sweet (wrong move mum!) and I got it stuck in my throat. I actually was choking and my mum, wrongly but saved my life, put her finger in my mouth and hooked the sweet out!
We both remember that very well.

She said that had happened to me before when I was younger (WTF? Stop giving me sweets mum!!!) and a babysitter whacked my back and it flew out!!
I don't remember this at all.

I do know that I have a fear of my kids choking though and won't allow any boiled sweets to be consumed by them.  Shocked 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:59 am

pmsl

Now, i've only bothered to read the first post, but here goes:

JD, your first ever memory is your first ever memory!!!

Take yourself outside and give yourself a slap.

Seriously, give up the drugs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:03 am

BigAndy9 wrote:pmsl

Your the only one to say this Andy, and that just shows you've read the post but not really taken in what it said or it's real meaning  Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:07 am

Joy Division wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:pmsl

Your the only one to say this Andy, and that just shows you've read the post but not really taken in what it said or it's real meaning  Laughing 

No JD - i have taken in what it said!

I do know what you are trying to say!

I am pointing out that you failed, and instead printed a garbled mess.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:29 am

BigAndy9 wrote:
Joy Division wrote:

No JD - i have taken in what it said!

I do know what you are trying to say!

I am pointing out that you failed, and instead printed a garbled mess.

B'ahhs laddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down