NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On anti-Semitism and Islamophobia in Europe

5 posters

Go down

On anti-Semitism and Islamophobia in Europe Empty On anti-Semitism and Islamophobia in Europe

Post by Guest Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:55 pm

In 1844, Karl Marx published a short but dense text entitled "On the Jewish Question". It was a critical review of two essays by the-then famous philosopher Bruno Bauer, who had argued against equal rights for Jews if granted on religious grounds. If Jews wanted to be considered full citizens - Bauer maintained echoing the widespread opinion of the time - Jews would have to abandon their religion and embrace Enlightenment. According to this logic, there was no room for religious demands in a secular society. 

As Bauer's position suggests, anti-Jewish racism in Germany and elsewhere in Europe in the first half of the 19th century, was justified mainly on cultural and religious grounds. Jews were discriminated and regarded with suspicion because they were considered an alien "nation within the nation". In fact, it was not until the second half of the 19th century and the rise of "social Darwinism" that "racial anti-Semitism", framed in biological terms, appeared on the political scene and Jews were openly discriminated against on the basis of their alleged genetic inferiority.

The question we might want to ask ourselves today is whether contemporary Europe is confronting a Muslim question similar to the Jewish question 170 years ago. Is European antipathy towards Muslims comparable to that first stage of hatred towards Jews, a hatred that culminated in one of the darkest pages of human history?

In spite of the obvious differences between the two contexts, the success of the far right during the recent elections in several European countries seems to suggest that the answer is a resounding yes. The victory of these parties attests to the incredible gains made by Islamophobic propaganda in the last ten years. In France, the president of the National Front, Marine Le Pen - who obtained one quarter of all votes - has asked school canteens to stop offering Muslim children alternatives to pork. In Britain, the UK Independence Party campaigned against the construction of mosques and became the biggest winner in the elections, with an astonishing 27.5 percent of the vote.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2014/06/anti-semitism-islamophobia-europ-20146414191330623.html

Back to top Go down

On anti-Semitism and Islamophobia in Europe Empty Re: On anti-Semitism and Islamophobia in Europe

Post by Guest Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:53 pm

Didge wrote:The victory of these parties attests to the incredible gains made by Islamophobic propaganda in the last ten years.

Education when I like it.
Propaganda when I don't like it.

Back to top Go down

On anti-Semitism and Islamophobia in Europe Empty Re: On anti-Semitism and Islamophobia in Europe

Post by scrat Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:30 pm

There are some striking similarities and Muslims are being used as a scapegoat for many woes, but nothing will stop the juggernaut of globalisation.

There are a few noticeable differences, the fact that many Great Depression Germans were paying a third of their deficit towards reparations and some historians have suggested that many Jews did in fact exploit the situation further with there money lending activities during the final years of the Weimar Republic.

Hitler picked up on both of these aspects, and a scapegoat is a requirement of a nazi regime.

I think people are a lot more clued up these days, UKIPpers might be a protest vote, however a third of the British people, much less in Scotland but represented none the less, are unhappy with the level of immigrants in Britain, and that's the rub because cheap foreign labour is providing the growth required to pay for our pensions, immigrants pay taxes and taxes pay towards our pensions,,,,or so we are told and led to believe.
scrat
scrat
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:33 pm

scrat wrote:nothing will stop the juggernaut of globalisation.

I can't wait for humanity to be a watered-down shadow of it's former self.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:50 pm

Summers wrote:
scrat wrote:nothing will stop the juggernaut of globalisation.

How is the world's population gradually becoming less provincial a "watering down" of humanity?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:11 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Summers wrote:

How is the world's population gradually becoming less provincial a "watering down" of humanity?

Destruction of cultural and national identity among other things.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:32 am

You talk about cultural and national identity as though they're not in a constant state of change ...

You, an Irish guy who uses Japanese anime images for your avatars.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:52 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:You talk about cultural and national identity as though they're not in a constant state of change ...

You, an Irish guy who uses Japanese anime images for your avatars.

I use anime avatars so that must mean I prefer Japan over Ireland?
Quality argument.

Japan is a shit-hole, mate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:01 am

Also, I don't exactly see how liking things from other countries conflicts with the idea of trying to preserve national identity and culture.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:03 am

Lastly, in case you think I'm dodging your other question:
The fact that things change is not a good justification for submitting to change.

It's like saying we all die eventually so we may as well just kill ourselves.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:11 am

Summers wrote:Lastly, in case you think I'm dodging your other question:
The fact that things change is not a good justification for submitting to change.

LOLZ
avoid change  Cool  Cool  Cool  Cool  Cool 

That has works so well for ...ummm...... NO ONE through the course of history

Change Comes Move with it of be Crushed by it.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:14 am

veya_victaous wrote:

LOLZ

Yeah, you're right.
I mean that's why glorious Herr Hitler is leading us into this glorious age.
Not like anyone could have stopped him cleansing the world of all those dirty people.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:17 am

Shame about the Jews and all that but not much anyone could have done.
World changed and they couldn't adapt.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:18 am

Seriously though, point being that the attitude that there has never been any form of successful resistance to change is ignorant.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:24 am

Wait are you saying WW2 didn't change the world  confused confused confused 

IT changed everything.
On this side of the world Complete change and shift of allegiances and regional power.

when did I ever say one guy decides how the world changes? I said it does and you just provided and example of how it DOES and No One gets a choice but to change with it. You may as well be a Jew in Germany 1930's praying for it to be like it was before the Nazis.

This Change has occurred Already! the world is now globalised, Europe is All that is left that has not accepted it  Rolling Eyes 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:31 am

veya_victaous wrote:Wait are you saying WW2 didn't change the world  confused confused confused 

IT changed everything.
On this side of the world Complete change and shift of allegiances and regional power.

when did I ever say one guy decides how the world changes? I said it does and you just provided and example of how it DOES and No One gets a choice but to change with it. You may as well be a Jew in Germany 1930's praying for it to be like it was before the Nazis.
Yeah but that's not the situation now is it? People fought back and the Nazi Regime is reduced to mostly just thugs.
See my point now maybe?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:34 am

But to be honest I don't really see the point of arguing with someone who's just going to pull the "The world is conveniently how I like it right now so you're wrong" argument.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:54 am

People fought back, the Nazi were defeated, the World still Changed.

Change is inevitable, you cannot name one example where people managed to remain static when the world forced change on them.

Sure the Aboriginals managed remain static for along time but when the English Ships came they were forced to adapt.

Even More powerful Militaristic Nations Were Forced to change no matter how hard they tried to Resist
https://history.state.gov/milestones/1830-1860/opening-to-japan

And You mean the World Conveniently supplies infinite examples for me to use to prove my point while you will struggle to find one  Rolling Eyes its called Accepting reality, not basing your opinion on the way you'd like it to be.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:24 am

Summers wrote:Seriously though, point being that the attitude that there has never been any form of successful resistance to change is ignorant.

There have been many forms of resistance, many armed resistance which has brought about change, but also peaceful resistance which can be as if not more effective, but they all bring about change and the world has been constantly changing.
The reality is people have always been afraid of change, what they are used to, but is the change so bad, that they are justified in their fears? We have to take example of what the thread is about how in the west Muslims are being very much scapegoated, which is actually creating and fueling a divide, which has been centuries old with many other different cultures etc

National identity, is very much becoming a thing of what it should be, pride in sports for a nation, its heritage, etc, not used as it has been as a weapon to drive hate, that is when nationalism, is a disaster, as it turns people against each and for for what exactly?

Nothing, but brother turning against brother, sister against sister.

Your perception on the Jews could not adapt is way off the mark Tea, it had nothing to do with adaption, but extermination, because it was centuries old hate manifested by Christianity itself, with blame placed onto the Jews for Killing Christ. The bible is manufactured itself to steer blame away from the Romans and place all hate towards the Jews for this. What Hitler did which is the case here is that he played upon fear, the Nazi's were going no where with only 29 seats, it was the wall Street Crash that propelled the Nazi's to power who capitalized on the recession by blaming everything onto the Jews. Even then they got in by default and luck with events playing into Hitlers hands, that is chance, so has nothing to do with adaption, but manipulation.

This was a case of nationalism used in the worst possible way and shows us the lessons of listening to such bad views and where they can lead to, sadly at the costs of not only Millions of Jews, but millions of others classed as sub human.

Cultures have been forever adapting, which always brings about change, and especially if the adaption is predominant, then people are at first uncomfortable with this, but in a short time, many do adapt, not all but the vast majority, which history shows happens time and time again. Such bad nationalism as seen only sets a country on a path to going backwards not forwards, they use the fears of Muslims, and then instigate laws that ostracize them and whilst people are so relived they have not stopped for one second and realised many of their freedoms have been taken away also until it is too late. These parties have more than an agenda on just what they use to promote fear, it is always far greater than that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:30 am

islam want to do the same thing as hitler , they want to cleanse the world of filthy infidels , and ignorant people like didge veya are praising them for it .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:38 am

I do not praise Islam at all, I think like all man made myths, they play on fear and as seen people manipulate the religions to justify commenting wrongs. All the Abrahamic deities play on fear and bullying, so I do not defend any of that, but I will defend the right of you and any other who is religious to practice your faith as personal faith if you do not force it onto others. This goes for Muslims, Christians etc. It means I think these religions have appalling deities, not something to be loved and wish people would see that, but respect you do not and love your God, which it seems you do not wish to respect others for their beliefs, and as seen wish to castigate them all because of their faith, when again as seen, both deities are bullies and vengeful.

It thus shows your views are so hypocritical, if there was a scale, you would have dropped to the center of the earth by now

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:51 am

Satan wants to be God. So he made his own book the koran and one of his demons Muhammad will lead all the moderate Muslims into the pit .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:54 am

Vicar of Dibley wrote:Satan wants to be God. So he made his own book the koran and one of his demons Muhammad will lead all the moderate Muslims into the pit .

Sorry I do not deal in debating your beliefs where it is something you have just made up, but facts in that we are dealing about humans that believe in religions and how they are treated

If you want to start a thread on that, be my guest, but stick to the debate

Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by scrat Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:58 am

veya_victaous wrote:

LOLZ

That's the inevitable truth, globalisation has massive momentum, nothing can get in it's way.

Mankind must adapt to the consequences of globalisation and try a less confrontational approach to governance.

We're going through the pangs of it right now,,,coming to terms with globalisation and trying to make the world a better place for everyone in it, is a worthy pursuit,,,,but whinging about Muslims and immigrants is simply one of the methods used to exploit cheap labour and cloak the pursuit of greed, whining about the cost of a fair and decent society is a smokescreen used to maintain that greed and continue an us and them,,,,society.

It's a thin line, sometimes,,,,
scrat
scrat
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:51 am

Vicar of Dibley wrote:Satan wants to be God. So he made his own book the koran and one of his demons Muhammad will lead all the moderate Muslims into the pit .

But they a both destine to be swallowed by the Great Serpent, thou that does outlast  ::alahoo:: ::alahoo:: ::alahoo:: ::alahoo:: ::alahoo:: ::alahoo:: ::alahoo:: ::alahoo:: ::alahoo:: 

On anti-Semitism and Islamophobia in Europe 900002
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by veya_victaous Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:12 pm

Vicar of Dibley wrote:islam want to do the same thing as hitler , they want to cleanse the world of filthy infidels , and ignorant people like didge veya are praising them for it .

bahh that's a bit rich Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
in the other thread I Clearly Told Tommy  
"There is no GOOD Islamic nations"  Just like there are no GOOD Christian nations Ever in the entire time there was christian nations not that there are many now (most falling to the greater goodness of Secularism  Cool  )

And I tell you all the time I think your god is stupid and a lying false god of greed and deception AND that Your god is the SAME god as the Muslim god  Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz  So in case you can't work out the obvious that Implies I think the same About the Muslim god.  Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes 

The Great Serpent is the God of all things (well in Australia at least  Wink )
On anti-Semitism and Islamophobia in Europe Legend_of_the_rainbow_serpent_by_screwbald-d31pez2
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:34 pm

What you on about now bird brain?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down