NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Under-fives death rate 'high in UK', major study shows

Go down

Under-fives death rate 'high in UK', major study shows Empty Under-fives death rate 'high in UK', major study shows

Post by Guest Fri May 02, 2014 4:28 pm

The UK has one of the highest rates of death for children under five in Western Europe, according to new research published in The Lancet.

In 2013, the mortality rate for under-fives in the UK was 4.9 deaths per 1,000 - more than double the rate of 2.4 per 1,000 in Iceland, the country with the lowest rate. It showed that the UK had worse rates than nearly every other western European nation for early neonatal deaths - between zero and six days, post-neonatal deaths (death between 29 and 364 days), and for childhood deaths (death between one and four years).

Dr Christopher Murray, director of the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME), the lead author of the study, said: "We were surprised by these findings because the UK has made so many significant advances in public health over the years.

Across the world, child deaths rates have been falling since 1990. But in the UK the rate has slowed, and the decline in 2000-2013 was half that seen between 1990 and 2000.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-27251908

Back to top Go down

Under-fives death rate 'high in UK', major study shows Empty Re: Under-fives death rate 'high in UK', major study shows

Post by Guest Fri May 02, 2014 5:13 pm

That really is very surprising. I'd like to see a study that breaks it down into reasons. It might not all be illness. I know that sounds weird, but what about accidents, fires, we have had parents killing children etc.

Back to top Go down

Under-fives death rate 'high in UK', major study shows Empty Re: Under-fives death rate 'high in UK', major study shows

Post by Guest Fri May 02, 2014 5:56 pm

Sassy wrote:That really is very surprising.   I'd like to see a study that breaks it down into reasons.   It might not all be illness.   I know that sounds weird, but what about accidents, fires, we have had parents killing children etc.
I must admit I was quite shocked about this. I'd be interested to know the details too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 02, 2014 5:57 pm

3rd world country, that's why.

Back to top Go down

Post by captain Fri May 02, 2014 6:44 pm

Millions of mothers will be eating a load of different toxins, blissfully unaware of the harm it will cause.
captain
captain
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down