NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Euro Election Candidate Arrested For Quoting Winston Churchill Book - What Is Happening??

3 posters

Go down

Euro Election Candidate Arrested For Quoting Winston Churchill Book - What Is Happening?? Empty Euro Election Candidate Arrested For Quoting Winston Churchill Book - What Is Happening??

Post by Guest Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:30 pm

28th April 2014

A candidate in the South East European elections has been arrested after making a speech quoting from a book by Winston Churchill about Islam.

Paul Weston, chairman of Liberty GB, was making the speech on the steps of Winchester Guildhall in Hampshire on Saturday after a passer-by complained.

He was detained after failing to comply with a request by police to move on under the powers of a dispersal order.

He was further arrested on suspicion of religious or racial harassment.

Mr Weston, 50, from Dorset, had been reading from Churchill's book The River War, written in 1899 while Churchill was a British army officer in Sudan.

A Hampshire police spokesman said: "The dispersal order was issued following complaints from members of the public about the man's behaviour."

Told 'it's disgusting'

Mr Weston was bailed until 24 May.

A Liberty GB spokesman said: "Mr Weston was standing on the steps of Winchester Guildhall, addressing the passers-by in the street with a megaphone.

"He quoted an excerpt about Islam from the book The River War by Winston Churchill.

"Reportedly, a woman came out of the Guildhall and asked Mr Weston if he had the authorisation to make this speech.

"When he answered that he didn't, she told him: 'It's disgusting', and then called the police.

"Six or seven officers arrived. They talked with the people standing nearby, asking questions about what had happened.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-27186573

Back to top Go down

Euro Election Candidate Arrested For Quoting Winston Churchill Book - What Is Happening?? Empty Re: Euro Election Candidate Arrested For Quoting Winston Churchill Book - What Is Happening??

Post by Guest Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:29 pm

I have just seen this story myself and was gob smacked - I thought it certain that this would be being fiercely discussed and debated.

Does anyone disagree that Churchill was one of our greatest leaders if not the greatest? Does anyone doubt the genius of a man who could come within breathing distance of the Victoria Cross, and win the Nobel prize for Literature?

How on earth can we have reached a point where quoting something written over 100 years ago by this most great of men be grounds for arrest?

Quite beside everything else this man has been proven right often enough that any of his words should be considered carefully.

Back to top Go down

Euro Election Candidate Arrested For Quoting Winston Churchill Book - What Is Happening?? Empty Re: Euro Election Candidate Arrested For Quoting Winston Churchill Book - What Is Happening??

Post by Guest Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:39 pm

sphinx wrote:I have just seen this story myself and was gob smacked - I thought it certain that this would be being fiercely discussed and debated.  

Does anyone disagree that Churchill was one of our greatest leaders if not the greatest?  Does anyone doubt the genius of a man who could come within breathing distance of the Victoria Cross, and win the Nobel prize for Literature?

How on earth can we have reached a point where quoting something written over 100 years ago by this most great of men be grounds for arrest?

Quite beside everything else this man has been proven right often enough that any of his words should be considered carefully.

Why are you gobsmacked in regards to Churchill?

He was arrested for failing to move on, try reading the story and no doubt made other statements, the claim to it being about what Churchill said is as usual a red herring.

He was in parts great in WW2, he did allow millions to starve to death in India...

How about if someone quoted Winston on this view?

The young Churchill charged through imperial atrocities, defending each in turn. When concentration camps were built in South Africa, for white Boers, he said they produced “the minimum of suffering”. The death toll was almost 28,000, and when at least 115,000 black Africans were likewise swept into British camps, where 14,000 died, he wrote only of his “irritation that Kaffirs should be allowed to fire on white men”.

Or how about this one:

But when they defied this script, Churchill demanded they be crushed with extreme force. As Colonial Secretary in the 1920s, he unleashed the notorious Black and Tan thugs on Ireland‘s Catholic civilians, and when the Kurds rebelled against British rule, he said: “I am strongly in favour of using poisoned gas against uncivilised tribes…[It] would spread a lively terror.”

How about this one?

When Mahatma Gandhi launched his campaign of peaceful resistance, Churchill raged that he “ought to be lain bound hand and foot at the gates of Delhi, and then trampled on by an enormous elephant with the new Viceroy seated on its back.” As the resistance swelled, he announced: “I hate Indians. They are a beastly people with a beastly religion.”

How about this one?

Up to 3 million people starved to death while British officials begged Churchill to direct food supplies to the region. He bluntly refused. He raged that it was their own fault for “breeding like rabbits”. At other times, he said the plague was “merrily” culling the population.

Yes he was great for saving our nation, some of his views mind were appalling.

The reality is this is a non-story, he was nicked for the reasons given

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:58 pm

I quote He was further arrested on suspicion of religious or racial harassment.

If the story was about him refusing to move on I would have ignored it - the way you are doing your best to ignore the further arrest made.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:01 pm

sphinx wrote:I quote He was further arrested on suspicion of religious or racial harassment.

If the story was about him refusing to move on I would have ignored it - the way you are doing your best to ignore the further arrest made.

Yes and do you know what else he stated to be arrested on that part or are you just going off the back of the news story that it was him quoting Churchill?

The story was about him refusing to move on

He was detained after failing to comply with a request by police to move on under the powers of a dispersal order.

Again I suggest you await to see what else he said before concluding it was off the back of a quote

Again as I said, Churchill helped save this nation, but some of his views were appalling and should also be condemned for the fact they were appalling

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:03 pm

Didge wrote:
sphinx wrote:I quote He was further arrested on suspicion of religious or racial harassment.

Yes and do you know what else he stated to be arrested on that part or are you just going off the back of the news story that it was him quoting Churchill?

Again I suggest you await to see what else he said before concluding it was off the back of a quote

Again as I said, Churchill helped save this nation, but some of his views were appalling and should also be condemned for the fact they were appalling

If it weren't for Churchill and leaders like him you probably wouldn't be able to live freely in England like you do you little snot.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:10 pm

So the thread title is wrong and he wasn't arrested for Quoting Churchill's book then?

Euro Election Candidate Arrested For Quoting Winston Churchill Book - What Is Happening?? Z
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:11 pm

Tesstacious wrote:
Didge wrote:

If it weren't for Churchill and leaders like him you probably wouldn't be able to live freely in England like you do you little snot.

How does that make any of the poor things he said okay Comrade?
Yes we owe much to freedom because of Churchill.
But again learn your history Tess.

The US civil rights leader Richard B. Moore, quoted by Toye, said it was “a rare and fortunate coincidence” that at that moment “the vital interests of the British Empire [coincided] with those of the great overwhelming majority of mankind”. But this might be too soft in its praise. If Churchill had only been interested in saving the Empire, he could probably have cut a deal with Hitler. No: he had a deeper repugnance for Nazism than that. He may have been a thug, but he knew a greater thug when he saw one – and we may owe our freedom today to this wrinkle in history.

So I gladly praise him for what he did to defend freedom, shame he did not do that for other nations as seen, of which he should be condemned for also

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:12 pm

Irn Bru wrote:So the thread title is wrong and he wasn't arrested for Quoting Churchill's book then?

Euro Election Candidate Arrested For Quoting Winston Churchill Book - What Is Happening?? Z

100% correct Irn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:38 pm

He was arrested for both - he was first arrested for failing to move on and then further arrested on suspicion of religious or racial harassment because of quoting Churchill.

You do understand that if you are suspected of 2 or more separate and different crimes you will be arrested separately for each one even if the arrests take place at the same time dont you?

What this means is that if he had moved on when asked he would still have been arrested on suspicion of religious or racial harassment even though he then would not have arrested for failing to move on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:41 pm

sphinx wrote:He was arrested for both - he was first arrested for failing to move on and then further arrested on suspicion of religious or racial harassment because of quoting Churchill.

You do understand that if you are suspected of 2 or more separate and different crimes you will be arrested separately for each one even if the arrests take place at the same time dont you?

What this means is that if he had moved on when asked he would still have been arrested on suspicion of religious or racial harassment even though he then would not have arrested for failing to move on.

No he was nicked for failing to move on and suspicion religious and racial harassment, which is not disclosed what that actually is, all we know is he quoted about Churchill, maybe you should await the Police report before making poor assumptions as per usual Sphinx

So again where is the evidence he was nicked because of the quote?

Take your time.,

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:50 pm

god help him if he had read some of old Enoch's prose......

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:10 am

HUGE DISAGREEMENT ON CHURCHILL

Aussies see him as the Biggest Idiot of Modern History, Fucking Coward shit head moron. Couldn't lead an Army or Navy for shit.

He was one of the Naval Commanders that Fucked up Gallipoli, killing thousands of Anzacs and didn't give a shit cause we're 'only colonials'. then in WW2 he demands we send All or troops to defend England and just let the Japanese take Australia and our soldiers families again because we're 'only stinking Colonials'. So We said FUCK YOU CHURCHILL and FUCK YOU ENGLAND we will join the USA and proceeded to join them in the Pacific War, While still sending troops to Save your miserable little island. Hindsight Easily Says Australia is A lot more valuable than England (simply because of all the stuff in the ground) so If Churchill had a brain he woudl have evacuated the UK to Australia and let Germany take the Isle of Misery.  tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:28 am

Tesstacious wrote:
Didge wrote:

I would actually give more credit to Stalin for that ...

::d&f:: 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down