NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cornish people to be recognised as a national minority

2 posters

Go down

Cornish people to be recognised as a national minority   Empty Cornish people to be recognised as a national minority

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:07 pm

Speech: MP Danny Alexander

Cornish people will from today be recognised as a national minority.

Lib Dem minister Danny Alexander will announce they will join the Irish, Scottish and Welsh as an official protected Celtic group.

It means government departments will be required to consider Cornwall's views when making decisions.

In a speech in Bodmin today, Mr Alexander will say: "Cornish people have a proud history and a distinct identity. I'm delighted that we have been able to officially recognise this."

Dirk Cole, leader of Cornish independence party Mebyon Kernow, said: "Make no mistake that this is a proud day for Cornwall."

Cornish campaigners have argued the region deserves special measures, such as a cut in fuel duty, due to its location and heritage.

Communities Minister Stephen Williams added: "This is a great day for the people of Cornwall who have long campaigned for the distinctiveness and identity of the Cornish people to be recognised officially.

"The Cornish and Welsh are the oldest peoples on this island and as a proud Welshman I look forward to seeing Saint Piran's Flag flying with extra Celtic pride on March 5 next year."

The announcement follows previous commitments, which included formal recognition of the Cornish language.

North Cornwall MP Dan Rogerson said: "Today's announcement means that the Cornish will finally be recognised as one of the constituent peoples of the UK alongside the Welsh, Scottish and Irish.

"It will also make sure that public institutions take account of Cornwall's unique identity.

"Despite the fact that the last Labour Government said that the Cornish couldn't be recognised in this way, Liberal Democrats in Coalition Government have made sure that the Cornish people, and our traditions, culture and heritage, now have the same status as everyone else.

"I'd like to thank Lib Dem Communities Minister Stephen Williams, his predecessor Don Foster, and the Chief Secretary Danny Alexander for listening to the case that we made.

"Thanks is also due to supporters for the cause from across the Duchy, and particularly to Ian Saltern who has edited the last two reports that we submitted to the Government, which made the case for National Minority Status for the Cornish."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/cornish-people-recognised-national-minority-3449033#ixzz2znxOFu5X
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Doesn't the deranged pirate come from there?
.....You're a minority now!

://?roflmao?/:  ://?roflmao?/:  ://?roflmao?/: 

Back to top Go down

Cornish people to be recognised as a national minority   Empty Re: Cornish people to be recognised as a national minority

Post by gerber Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:12 pm

Won't be many of us English left, we will soon be able to apply to be minority.

gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Cornish people to be recognised as a national minority   Empty Re: Cornish people to be recognised as a national minority

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:33 pm

Catman wrote: Speech: MP Danny Alexander

Cornish people will from today be recognised as a national minority.

Lib Dem minister Danny Alexander will announce they will join the Irish, Scottish and Welsh as an official protected Celtic group.

It means government departments will be required to consider Cornwall's views when making decisions.

In a speech in Bodmin today, Mr Alexander will say: "Cornish people have a proud history and a distinct identity. I'm delighted that we have been able to officially recognise this."

Dirk Cole, leader of Cornish independence party Mebyon Kernow, said: "Make no mistake that this is a proud day for Cornwall."

Cornish campaigners have argued the region deserves special measures, such as a cut in fuel duty, due to its location and heritage.

Communities Minister Stephen Williams added: "This is a great day for the people of Cornwall who have long campaigned for the distinctiveness and identity of the Cornish people to be recognised officially.

"The Cornish and Welsh are the oldest peoples on this island and as a proud Welshman I look forward to seeing Saint Piran's Flag flying with extra Celtic pride on March 5 next year."

The announcement follows previous commitments, which included formal recognition of the Cornish language.

North Cornwall MP Dan Rogerson said: "Today's announcement means that the Cornish will finally be recognised as one of the constituent peoples of the UK alongside the Welsh, Scottish and Irish.

"It will also make sure that public institutions take account of Cornwall's unique identity.

"Despite the fact that the last Labour Government said that the Cornish couldn't be recognised in this way, Liberal Democrats in Coalition Government have made sure that the Cornish people, and our traditions, culture and heritage, now have the same status as everyone else.

"I'd like to thank Lib Dem Communities Minister Stephen Williams, his predecessor Don Foster, and the Chief Secretary Danny Alexander for listening to the case that we made.

"Thanks is also due to supporters for the cause from across the Duchy, and particularly to Ian Saltern who has edited the last two reports that we submitted to the Government, which made the case for National Minority Status for the Cornish."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/cornish-people-recognised-national-minority-3449033#ixzz2znxOFu5X
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Doesn't the deranged pirate come from there?
.....You're a minority now!

://?roflmao?/:  ://?roflmao?/:  ://?roflmao?/: 

Good afternoon Catty.

I had to laugh at this story & no I wasn't born in Cornwall but I do live here.

From what I gather,there's about 4 genuine Cornish people left in the county while the rest are either from other parts of the UK or have married Cornish people.

It's a joke & everyone down here knows it.

Blimey Catty,at this rate there will be equality for homosexuals soon. ::D:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:39 pm

Greggs will have to stop selling pasties..............

Ed balls loves greggs' pasties can't see it happening.....

It is only a lid dens and a Scottish one too boot......... Needs media attention for local elections.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:57 pm

gerber wrote:Greggs will have to stop selling pasties..............

Ed balls loves greggs' pasties can't see it happening.....

It is only a lid dens and a Scottish one too boot.........  Needs media attention for local elections.

Good afternoon Gerber.

I love all pasties I do.Big ones,little ones,medium ones.

Traditional steak ones,curried ones,chicken ones as well.

All of them I love.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:38 pm

So much for didges theories......

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:43 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:So much for didges theories......

Please share your knowledge. Didge has so many to which one specifically are you referring ?

Is he really a Suet Pudding ?
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:46 pm

gerber wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:So much for didges theories......

Please share your knowledge.  Didge has so many to which one specifically are you referring ?

Is he really a Suet Pudding ?

Well didge recons we are all the same.....by his argument there can be NO "minorities"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:49 pm

Cornish pasties are the best thing since sliced bread.

I get a few in when i do the shopping, but when i go to have one they are always gone.  Sad 

...Must start hiding one in the fridge somewhere!  Razz 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:52 pm

But do you know why a cornish pasty has that thick pastry "rim" on it?????

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:55 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:But do you know why a cornish pasty has that thick pastry "rim" on it?????

Yep I does honestly btw because me has brains, does you ?
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:57 pm

Cornish pasties are best bought from Greggs, but from the supermarket they have to be Ginsters  Razz 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:58 pm

Catman wrote:Cornish pasties are the best thing since sliced bread.

I get a few in when i do the shopping, but when i go to have one they are always gone.  Sad 

i love them too but i always get indigestion Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:01 pm

gerber wrote:Won't be many of us English left, we will soon be able to apply to be  minority.

They won't get to keep the pound you know.

Laughing
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:01 pm

Vicar of Dibley wrote:

You obviously have an aversion to swallowing a swedish bit........
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:03 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
gerber wrote:Won't be many of us English left, we will soon be able to apply to be  minority.

They won't get to keep the pound you know.

Laughing

All I can say to you is Tetlleys.............. Stuff Ty phoo  Smile 

Love to have the pound back with ounces too, hate kilos and grams......
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:09 pm

Vicar of Dibley wrote:

When you have them cold, sometimes that happens...Try them hot!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:33 pm

gerber wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:But do you know why a cornish pasty has that thick pastry "rim" on it?????

YUP....

So the tin miners could eat the pasty with mucky hands...and throw the rim bit away......

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:37 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:
gerber wrote:

YUP....

So the tin miners could eat the pasty with mucky hands...and throw the rim bit away......

So why ask such a stupid question............... Plonker

XX

Bet no one else knew though........ lol! As they haven't answered....
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:48 pm

gerber wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:

YUP....

So why ask such a stupid question...............  Plonker

Be afraid...very afraid......you are turning into a ........CATMAN clone affraid  affraid 

XX

Bet no one else knew though........ lol! As they haven't answered....

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:49 pm

He has Whiskers, I most certainly do not........ ::D:: 
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:51 pm

Yawn.

Go over to flop, if you want to turn threads into a chat about me. Rolling Eyes 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:53 pm

soreee.....I thought i was obliging you doing just that.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:54 pm

gerber wrote:He has Whiskers, I most certainly do not........ ::D:: 

I didnt ask what he ate....... ://?roflmao?/: 

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:55 pm

Catman wrote:Yawn.

The only time I do i when I speak to you............. And usually it is fun.

Will you be our May Queen ? A genuine request................... no micky taking.

gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:58 pm

gerber wrote:
Catman wrote:Yawn.

The only time I do i when I speak to you.............  And usually it is fun.  

Will you be our May Queen ?  A genuine request...................  no micky taking.

I'm not a Queen, and actually i find that term very offensive, because it's a stereotype and i'm not camp.

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:01 pm

Catman wrote:
gerber wrote:

Will you be our May Queen ?  A genuine request...................  no micky taking.

I'm not a Queen, and actually i find that term very offensive, because it's a stereotype and i'm not camp.

Sorry,. stuff that in your bell tent then......,

Was trying to be nice............

Look where that got me............. Can you not take a compliment from who knows, not me but maybe someone......

OK

Change tack

Will Dougie do the honour........ ?

Stage note to Gerbs, exit stage right rapidly.......
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:05 pm

gerber wrote:
Catman wrote:

Sorry,. stuff that in your bell tent then......,

Was trying to be nice............  

Look where that got me.............  Can you not take a compliment from who knows, not me but maybe someone......

OK

Change tack

Will Dougie do the honour........ ?

Stage note to Gerbs, exit stage right rapidly.......

What do you think about Cornwall being classed as a minority entity, much like Scotland and Ireland?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:25 pm

Catman wrote:
gerber wrote:

Do you really,really find that term very offensive? Or are you just being deliberately & effectively over sensitive?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:45 pm

When you portray gay people in the media, it should be inclusive of all different gay people, and we aren't all camp.

I don't have a problem with camp gay people at all, many, over the years that i class as very good friends.

....We just aren't all camp though!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:17 am

Catman wrote:When you portray gay people in the media, it should be inclusive of all different gay people, and we aren't all camp.

I don't have a problem with camp gay people at all, many, over the years that i class as very good friends.

Right then....So if you're not camp,are you overtly gay in some kind of recognizable way?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:20 am

Shady wrote:
Catman wrote:When you portray gay people in the media, it should be inclusive of all different gay people, and we aren't all camp.

Right then....So if you're not camp,are you overtly gay in some kind of recognizable way?

Do all pirates have peg legs  Rolling Eyes 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:24 am

Sassy wrote:
Shady wrote:

I don't know about peg legs....But we can all see in the dark. Suspect 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:27 am

Shady wrote:
Sassy wrote:

I don't know about peg legs....But we can all see in the dark. Suspect 

Oh that's nothing, all Mums can do that, and see through walls  Twisted Evil 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down