NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Very sad, but what a guy ...

2 posters

Go down

Very sad, but what a guy ... Empty Very sad, but what a guy ...

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:26 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/elderhealth/9559276/I-couldnt-believe-my-wife-had-Alzheimers.html

This guy has it hard so many ways, cruel disease this is and this lass was only my age...
How awful that must be to start fading away like that and family seeing it.Sad

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/elderhealth/9559276/I-couldnt-believe-my-wife-had-Alzheimers.html

Back to top Go down

Very sad, but what a guy ... Empty Re: Very sad, but what a guy ...

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:10 am

Very sad, in many ways Alzheimer's seems to be the cruelest disease.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:47 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Very sad, in many ways Alzheimer's seems to be the cruelest disease.
I've always thought that but, after working in a nursing home over here and seeing the patients in the Alzheimers ward, I'm not so sure.  Maybe it's more cruel for the family.  I remember chatting to the senior nurse there and she said they seem to be happy living in their own little world, and when I watched them,  I have to agree with her.  Having said that I'd hate it to happen to me and would rather end it than put my family through years of trauma.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:02 am

Tesstacious wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:Very sad, in many ways Alzheimer's seems to be the cruelest disease.
I've always thought that but, after working in a nursing home over here and seeing the patients in the Alzheimers ward, I'm not so sure.  Maybe it's more cruel for the family.  I remember chatting to the senior nurse there and she said they seem to be happy living in their own little world, and when I watched them,  I have to agree with her.  Having said that I'd hate it to happen to me and would rather end it than put my family through years of trauma.

I always wonder about that too. Some sufferers do seem to be quite content, but apparently they do get upset because they have some awareness that they should be remembering things or that they're not behaving as they used to. I agree though that's it tough for the carers - it must be dreadful to see someone you love turn into a stranger like that, and having to watch someone all the time and do everything for them must be really exhausting.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:49 pm

Tesstacious wrote:

...I know what you mean Tess, Ive said the same of some with Downs Sydndrome ..many of them look so happy  without a care in the world, and I think that's really the blessing side of it...

But some can have the physical effects but be savvy up top...I had a head teacher at primary school like this, must have been awful for her as her body was crooked etc, I think it was a forum of Downs anyway?...extremely astute woman she was though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:53 pm

But another side if this dementia is that one eventually loses all dignity etc, what with others tending to theor toilet needs etc, ok , they may not fully realise later on into the illness but it still must be frightening g for them if they were to get lost somewhere...things like that.

A very interesting subject, but a brutal result in the end, and as so done pointed out...for the families of sufferers to see a loved one go downhill must be truly awful .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:37 pm

I was talking to someone about this just last week.  Her Mum is demonstrating early signs and some of her actions put her safety at risk so she is now at the stage that she has no alternative but to protect her.

Her Mum always told her to shoot her if she ended up like that but she now has no awareness that anything is wrong. She has good neighbours who let her daughter know that she was behaving strangely.  Going out for the bus at 7.30 when it comes at 10, wearing clothes with stains on, trying to boil the plastic kettle on the stove, no longer keeping the house as she would do usually etc.

Her Mum is happy in herself, I do believe that it's harder for the family to cope.  Very sad  Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum