NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Church Leaders Preach About Starving Families (While Hoarding Their £Billions)

Go down

Church Leaders Preach About Starving Families (While Hoarding Their £Billions) Empty Church Leaders Preach About Starving Families (While Hoarding Their £Billions)

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:38 am

20th April 2014

I think it's said that the Church of England has over £5 billion invested in all sorts - weapons, Wonga etc.

Wouldn't it be better to spend 90% of it on the "poor" over the next year?

They have apparently identified lots of poor families in England - they keep talking about them:

Church leaders renewed their stand-off with the Coalition over hunger in Britain using Easter sermons to speak of poverty and destitution, as one bishop claimed Government cuts were having “sinful consequences”.

The Archbishop of Canterbury the Most Rev Justin Welby singled out the experiences of people turning to food banks in the UK as an example of suffering in the world, alongside the crises in Syria and Ukraine.

He also said those who quietly man food banks were making a more powerful statement of the Christian message than figures such as himself who “shout” about religion on a national stage.

Britain’s most senior Roman Catholic cleric, Cardinal Vincent Nichols, the Archbishop of Westminster, also singled the issue out, speaking of those in Britain and elsewhere who feel “excluded from the fruits of the Earth”.

The new Bishop of Durham, the Rt Rev Paul Butler, highlighted the demand for food banks in a sermon on the theme of fear.

Meanwhile the Bishop of Truro, Rt Rev Tim Thornton, criticised Government cuts directly, saying they were having “sinful consequences”.

It comes after weeks of pressure from clergy from the main denominations over whether growing numbers of people are going hungry despite the economic recovery.

Many senior clerics took part in a fast during lent to highlight their concerns and last week hundreds of clergy and scores of bishops signed a joint letter raising the issue.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/10777051/Archbishop-of-Canterbury-likens-foodbanks-to-suffering-in-Syria.html

Back to top Go down

Church Leaders Preach About Starving Families (While Hoarding Their £Billions) Empty Re: Church Leaders Preach About Starving Families (While Hoarding Their £Billions)

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:08 pm

Come on folks - I thought we cared about the poor.

Oh, the thread doesn't bash the right group eh?

Back to top Go down

Church Leaders Preach About Starving Families (While Hoarding Their £Billions) Empty Re: Church Leaders Preach About Starving Families (While Hoarding Their £Billions)

Post by veya_victaous Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:59 pm

well I don't think it is as bad as it is in Syria.

I'm not sure where this thread is going? is it saying the church is supporting the poor or just giving lip service to helping the poor?  confused 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:02 am

veya_victaous wrote:well I don't think it is as bad as it is in Syria.

I'm not sure where this thread is going? is it saying the church is supporting the poor or just giving lip service to helping the poor?  confused 

Definitely not as bad as in Syria and the Syrian refugees. And the RC church could probably feed the world, it makes the CofE look like a corner shop. However, it isn't up to the CofE to right the wrongs done by the Government, although they appear to be trying.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:19 am

Sassy wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:well I don't think it is as bad as it is in Syria.

Definitely not as bad as in Syria and the Syrian refugees.   And the RC church could probably feed the world, it makes the CofE look like a corner shop.    However, it isn't up to the CofE to right the wrongs done by the Government, although they appear to be trying.

Where does the money come from for these churches to line their pockets with gold? To buy and build their wonderful palaces? To have £billions invested in Wonga?

The rich? No.

The poor? You betchya!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:55 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Definitely not as bad as in Syria and the Syrian refugees.   And the RC church could probably feed the world, it makes the CofE look like a corner shop.    However, it isn't up to the CofE to right the wrongs done by the Government, although they appear to be trying.

Where does the money come from for these churches to line their pockets with gold?  To buy and build their wonderful palaces?  To have £billions invested in Wonga?

The rich?  No.

The poor?  You betchya!

For once I agree with you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down