NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tory councillor who compared housing development to RAPE forced to stand down

4 posters

Go down

Tory councillor who compared housing development to RAPE forced to stand down  Empty Tory councillor who compared housing development to RAPE forced to stand down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:43 am

Tory councillor who compared housing development to RAPE forced to stand down  %C2%A3%C2%A3%C2%A3-Barbara-Driver-3403839  affraid ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: 

Standing down: Conservative councillor Barbara Driver has said she will not be seeking reelection in May

A Tory councillor who said "when rape is inevitable, lie back and enjoy it" during a housing debate has stepped down.

Former mayor of Cheltenham Barbara Driver has decided not to stand in the upcoming May elections as a result of her gaffe.

The 77-year-old - who last year lead a report looking at sexual exploitation - stunned colleagues by using the phrase to describe how powerless planners are to control a housing development.

She said: "There is a saying and I am going to say it: When rape is inevitable, lie back and enjoy it."

In a statement released last night, Councillor Driver said: "Following the controversy over a comment I made at a council meeting this week I write to inform you of my intention not to seek nomination as a candidate for the forthcoming local elections in May.

"Once again, I am truly sorry ?for the damage this thoughtless and inappropriate comment has caused and I believe the right thing to do at this stage is to step back from public life.”

Her comments were widely criticised by politicians and campaigners.

Karen Clarke, from the Gloucestershire Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre, said: "Making these comments, that have nothing to do with what she was talking about, is quite shocking.

"Rape has a devastating impact and there's no possibility that anyone could ever lie back and enjoy it.

"When people in positions of power make throw away and flippant comments like this it perpetuates the myths around rape.

"Someone in a position of authority should know better. Apologies are not enough."

Three official complaints have been made prompting the referral of the matter to the council's monitoring officer who will consult with two independent advisors.

They will decide what action to take - and whether to refer the incident to the standards committee - within four weeks.

Speaking from her home on Friday Councillor Driver said: "Unfortunately it was wrong what I said.

"By no way do I condone rape - it is atrocious.

"I was trying to put across - badly I will say - the fact of developers having not put much social and affordable housing in and the council saying
we can't do anything about it.

"But I used a term that I had heard years ago without thinking.

"It was totally dreadful. it was done without thinking about the rape bit. I know that sounds silly."

A Cheltenham Borough Council spokeswoman added: "The council has taken the matter seriously, as has Councillor Driver, and a full and sincerely
apology has been issued to the mayor and copied to all councillors".

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/barbara-driver-rape-comments-tory-3408249#ixzz2yoSxL6Mf
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Oh dear  ::slap:: lol! lol! lol! 

Back to top Go down

Tory councillor who compared housing development to RAPE forced to stand down  Empty Re: Tory councillor who compared housing development to RAPE forced to stand down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:54 am

It seems a real idiotic trait of the Tories over many years to spout  such ridiculous , shameful, nasty and patronising things, what a bloody halfwit..and just goes to show they have little respect for people's feelings who have been through such  harrowing ordeals.

Just look at that mugshot , she even looks a nasty old bag...

Good bloody riddance , the halfwit.

Back to top Go down

Tory councillor who compared housing development to RAPE forced to stand down  Empty Re: Tory councillor who compared housing development to RAPE forced to stand down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:59 am

Joy Division wrote:It seems a real idiotic trait of the Tories over many years to spout  such ridiculous , shameful, nasty and patronising things, what a bloody halfwit..and just goes to show they have little respect for people's feelings who have been through such  harrowing ordeals.

Just look at that mugshot , she even looks a  arty old bag...

She looks like my old home economics teacher at school, she used to crease up up!

That's the Tories for ya!

Time to get rid!  cheers 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:04 am

Catman wrote:
Joy Division wrote:It seems a real idiotic trait of the Tories over many years to spout  such ridiculous , shameful, nasty and patronising things, what a bloody halfwit..and just goes to show they have little respect for people's feelings who have been through such  harrowing ordeals.

Just look at that mugshot , she even looks a  arty old bag...

She looks like my old home economics teacher at school, she used to crease up up!

That's the Tories for ya!

Time to get rid!  cheers 

Too bloody right Phil, and it can't come soon enough  cheers 

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:40 am

Lone Wolf wrote:Smile 

ALL AROUND the world these conservative/tory politicians and councillors, and their spruikers and lobbyists keep on shooting themselves in the foot...

CRASS stupidity, narrow education, poor judgement and slow wittedness seems to be the hallmarks of todays "conservatives"..

JUST goes to show the dearth of smart and quality candidates available to the Tory parties everywhere !   cyclops

There is one thing to be said, when in the company of people like that, you will have never laughed so much!...At them!

Razz 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:43 am

ALL AROUND the world these conservative/tory politicians and councillors, and their spruikers and lobbyists keep on shooting themselves in the foot...

CRASS stupidity, narrow education, poor judgement and slow wittedness seems to be the hallmarks of todays "conservatives"..

JUST goes to show the dearth of smart and quality candidates available to the Tory parties everywhere !   cyclops

Totally correct Beezer Smile...they seem to be proud of these traits though!

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:11 am

They need their head checked  Smile 

veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:24 am

veya_victaous wrote:They need their head checked  Smile 

Or a roll of duct tape'
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:48 am

It's really amazing but they particularly seem to have a big problem not saying horrible things about rape!

Here's what you say -- "Rape is a horrific crime." There. Easy-peasy.

http://www.dayswithoutagoprapemention.com/
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:03 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:

It's really amazing but they particularly seem to have a big problem not saying horrible things about rape!

Here's what you say -- "Rape is a horrific crime." There. Easy-peasy.

http://www.dayswithoutagoprapemention.com/

it is because they and many of the people that will vote for them don't believe that.  Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down