NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geoengineering becomes hot topic in climate change discussions

4 posters

Go down

Geoengineering becomes hot topic in climate change discussions Empty Geoengineering becomes hot topic in climate change discussions

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:51 pm

It's Plan B in the fight against climate change: cooling the planet by sucking heat-trapping CO2 from the air or reflecting sunlight back into space.

Called geoengineering, it's considered mad science by opponents. Supporters say it would be foolish to ignore it, since plan A — slashing carbon emissions from fossil fuels — is moving so slowly.

The U.N.'s expert panel on climate change is under pressure from both sides this week as it considers whether geoengineering should be part of the tool-kit that governments use to keep global warming in check.

Russia, in particular, has been pushing the panel to place more emphasis on such techniques in a key document for policymakers being finalized in Berlin this week.

Drafts leaked before the conference only mentioned one of the options, removing CO2 from the air and storing it underground. Russia, a major oil and gas producer, said the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change should also mention solar radiation management, which could include everything from covering open surfaces with reflective materials or placing sun-mirrors in orbit around the Earth.

http://news.yahoo.com/artificial-cooling-tricky-topic-climate-panel-145213427.html

What do you think? Personally I'm all for technologies that could help reduce the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. I don't know about reflecting light back into space unless we're talking about creating more white rooftops and other surfaces.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Geoengineering becomes hot topic in climate change discussions Empty Re: Geoengineering becomes hot topic in climate change discussions

Post by veya_victaous Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:54 am

Dangerous times... we would only need to geoengineer if the planet is truly becoming uninhabitable
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Geoengineering becomes hot topic in climate change discussions Empty Re: Geoengineering becomes hot topic in climate change discussions

Post by gerber Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:05 am

Global warming CO2 emmissions are the hot political potato .

I am a sceptic, being Conservative.

To me it a liebour / democrate taxable lets gets all terrified of the future policy

A pile of pants.

And before the gogooders all say what about our Grandkids.................... What a Timothy about them, they might not even be born due to the cost as all parents should be able to afford offspring without support from the tax payer and the Government and if we all die saving the planet what it the \timothy point.

gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:11 am

We will all be well and truly gone by the time global warming and sever climate change anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:13 pm

gerber wrote:Global warming CO2 emmissions are the hot political potato  .

I am a sceptic, being Conservative.

It's like a tenet of your creed, right?  Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:58 pm

veya_victaous wrote:Dangerous times...  we would only need to geoengineer if the planet is truly becoming uninhabitable

I think we're getting pretty close. Satellites have discovered a hole in the troposphere which means even more carbon dioxide. As for this new technology, I was reading it about it; sounds interesting, hope it gets going. God knows we need it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down