NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Too Many Shows On British TV Are White"

4 posters

Go down

"Too Many Shows On British TV Are White" Empty "Too Many Shows On British TV Are White"

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:32 am

18th March 2014

Comedian and actor Lenny Henry launched a scathing attack on British TV hits including Broadchurch, Miranda and Midsomer Murders last night for being too white.

The 55-year-old criticised the shows for having fewer black actors than similar programmes in America, saying they were not representative of modern Britain.

Giving the annual Bafta Television Lecture, Henry said: ‘What is going on? This is 2014.

‘The evolution of black and ethnic minority involvement in British drama seems to lurch one step forward and two steps back, a bit like John Sergeant in Strictly Come Dancing. Except he had a job at the end.’

Mr Henry highlighted ITV crime drama Broadchurch, BBC sitcom Miranda and Northern Irish hit Mrs Brown’s Boys as examples of shows with majority white casts.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2583068/Our-TV-shows-far-white-says-Lenny-Henry-Comedian-attacks-hit-shows-including-Broadchurch-Miranda.html#ixzz2wIk9fkeW

Back to top Go down

"Too Many Shows On British TV Are White" Empty Re: "Too Many Shows On British TV Are White"

Post by eddie Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:37 am

Perhaps acting isn't a career that many British black people get into???
And Midsomer Murders isn't representative of the average beer-swilling working classes because it's set in fucking Oxfordshire (isn't it?) or somewhere where there are no beer-swilling working classes or black people!!

Shut up Lenny Henry. You were never funny either.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

"Too Many Shows On British TV Are White" Empty Re: "Too Many Shows On British TV Are White"

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:43 am

I think the soaps have black and asians in them , i love corrie i love Dev in it he is a great character , i don't watch ee i don't like it but there are black actors in that .

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:56 am

VOD(original) wrote:I think the soaps have black and asians in them , i love corrie i love Dev in it he is a great character , i don't watch ee i don't like it but there are black actors in that .

I like Dev as well. In fact, none of the people who are involved in this new gym are white.

I don't think it's colour that's the issue though is it? It's more a cultural thing.

I wonder why Lenny Henry wants more non-white people in Midsomer murders. Does he have a problem with white people or something?  Razz 
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:00 am

But he would be the first to complain if the Black and White Minstrels returned.......
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:03 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
VOD(original) wrote:I think the soaps have black and asians in them , i love corrie i love Dev in it he is a great character , i don't watch ee i don't like it but there are black actors in that .

I like Dev as well. In fact, none of the people who are involved in this new gym are white.

I don't think it's colour that's the issue though is it? It's more a cultural thing.

I wonder why Lenny Henry wants more non-white people in Midsomer murders. Does he have a problem with white people or something?  Razz 

Maybe he wants to be in it. Perhaps he can bring some boring jokes into it  Rolling Eyes 
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:05 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Maybe he wants to be in it. Perhaps he can bring some boring jokes into it  Rolling Eyes 

Yes, maybe he just wants a nice holiday in the countryside in the sun - it's always sunny in Midsomer.  Laughing 
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down