NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The kindness of strangers

4 posters

Go down

The kindness of strangers Empty The kindness of strangers

Post by eddie Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:00 pm

My OH is a black taxi driver. He often finds lost property in his cab, a few wallets and mobile phones etc. He will always try to return the stuff back the owners.
Most people don't even tip him but some do.

Is that right, do you think?

Tonight, a rather wealthy man is here on holiday and left his wallet in the back of the cab. It contains credit cards, travellers cheques and rather big sum of money.

My OH has travelled back, 45 minutes across London, to the restaurant he dropped the man at (he has to travel 45 mins back into London to pick up more work) so he loses, effectively, about two hours work.

He hasn't rang me yet, so here's the question:

How much, if anything, do you think his kindness will get him??
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

The kindness of strangers Empty Re: The kindness of strangers

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:01 pm

I think you should reward people who do that ... but that people who do that shouldn't expect rewards Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:04 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:I think you should reward people who do that ... but that people who do that shouldn't expect rewards Smile

I agree Ben. But whilst I think you shouldn't expect it, the people who don't reward it are plain ignorant IMO.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:05 pm

eddie wrote:My OH is a black taxi driver. He often finds lost property in his cab, a few wallets and mobile phones etc. He will always try to return the stuff back the owners.

Tonight, a rather wealthy man is here on holiday and left his wallet in the back of the cab. It contains credit cards, travellers cheques and rather big sum of money.

My OH has travelled back, 45 minutes across London, to the restaurant he dropped the man at (he has to travel 45 mins back into London to pick up more work) so he loses, effectively, about two hours work.

As Ben says it shouldn't be expected- but you tend to find really wealthy people are either particularly generous or proper tight.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:09 pm

Eilzel wrote:
eddie wrote:My OH is a black taxi driver. He often finds lost property in his cab, a few wallets and mobile phones etc. He will always try to return the stuff back the owners.

As Ben says it shouldn't be expected- but you tend to find really wealthy people are either particularly generous or proper tight.

You're right les.

I'm going to let you know later, what, if anything, he got given.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:15 pm

Eddie

If nothing comes of his time and honesty, you both can hold your head high and feel good for doing good for someone.....

Be proud of him.

We as a board are and you for such an honest and genuine post.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:17 pm

Been in basically the same story Eddie, more than once...

It's right never to expect tips though, I've always said so myself , on one of those jobs where I returned very expensive computers at the time, I got nowt.

Another time I had taken a wealthy bloke to Dundee airport for a business meeting, he had dropped his wallet and left his phone in such a hurry, he did remember his briefcase ...

I returned them within 15 mins of noticing them and was handed a crisp £20 note, I really did not want it, it made my day to make the blokes day, so he insisted quite a bit...I said thank you very much Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:22 pm

gerber wrote:Eddie

If nothing comes of his time and honesty, you both can hold your head high and feel good for doing good for someone.....

Be proud of him.

We as a board are and you for such an honest and genuine post.

Ah thanks Gerbs x

I get annoyed for my OH, sometimes it's hard graft out there, especially the last few years of recession. He effectively lost two hours work (and a busy two hours too!), so I get annoyed on his behalf!

I'm always one to show gratitude. It's in my nature. I get irritated when people don't say thanks when you stop to let them cross the road!! As a pedestrian I always lift my hand and mouth "Thanks"

eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:24 pm

Joy Division wrote:Been in basically the same story Eddie, more than once...

It's right never to expect tips though, I've always said so myself , on one of those jobs where I returned very expensive computers at the time, I got nowt.

Another time I had taken a wealthy bloke to Dundee airport for a business meeting, he had dropped his wallet and left his phone in such a hurry, he did remember his briefcase ...

I returned them within 15 mins of noticing them and was handed a crisp £20 note, I really did not want it, it made my day to make the blokes day, so he insisted quite a bit...I said thank you very much Smile

Nice one JD.
My OH received a cheque from an old lady once, for returning her purse, for thirty pound. He didn't even cash it in, he tore it up.
Nice to be acknowledged though  Smile 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:26 pm

The only reward I can think of is he deserves you Eddie and the same back to him that you ar both the reward to have met each other in life , as I think that is all the reward people of such kindness need or ever require, both of you already have been rewarded with the best gift ever, each other

x

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:28 pm

PhilDidge wrote:

The only reward I can think of is he deserves you Eddie and the same back to him that you ar both the reward to have met each other in life , as I think that is all the reward people of such kindness need or ever require, both of you already have been rewarded with the best gift ever, each other

x

I was about to make a joke but you are right didge. I do feel lucky and so does he.
And that man was lucky that he had an honest cab driver tonight.

Thanks for your kind words x
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:29 pm

eddie wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

x

I was about to make a joke but you are right didge. I do feel lucky and so does he.

You cannot beat real magic Eddie, you live it.

xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:30 pm

eddie wrote:
Joy Division wrote:Been in basically the same story Eddie, more than once...

Nice one JD.
My OH received a cheque from an old lady once, for returning her purse, for thirty pound. He didn't even cash it in, he tore it up.

That's it Eds, your OH has done the right and good thing, and if it were me he drove 45 mins each way for and losing a couple of hours work for...I myself certainly would pay a reward for that...or call it lost fuel and earnings Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:31 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
eddie wrote:

You cannot beat real magic Eddie, you live it.

xx

Yep. You really do  cheers 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:32 pm

Joy Division wrote:
eddie wrote:

Nice one JD.

That's it Eds, your OH has done the right and good thing, and if it were me he drove 45 mins each way for and losing a couple of hours work for...I myself certainly would pay a reward for that...or call it lost fuel and earnings Smile

Cheers JD. I'd have given the driver a tip too.

Let's see. My OH will ring me soon x
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:15 pm

Be very proud he is a really decent bloke Eds and be glad he can feel good about himself when he has done it. I hope he gets rewarded, but if he doesn't at least he can lay his head down on the pillow knowing he's done his very best.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:16 pm

Sassy wrote:

Be very proud he is a really decent bloke Eds and be glad he can feel good about himself when he has done it.   I hope he gets rewarded, but if he doesn't at least he can lay his head down on the pillow knowing he's done his very best.

Too true sassy xx

He is a decent bloke and let's face it, if you keep money you find in a wallet like that, and you know who's it is, it's just dirty money isn't it? Xx
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:20 pm

eddie wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Be very proud he is a really decent bloke Eds and be glad he can feel good about himself when he has done it.   I hope he gets rewarded, but if he doesn't at least he can lay his head down on the pillow knowing he's done his very best.

Too true sassy xx

He is a decent bloke and let's face it, if you keep money you find in a wallet like that, and you know who's it is, it's just dirty money isn't it? Xx

Certainly is!   My grandaughter found a virtually new phone on the field a while ago.   Someone with her suggested she kept and put her sim card in it.   She came straight back home with it and rang the number on it that said 'mum'.   A lady answered.   Grandaughter said, do you know anyone who has lost anything.   Yes, said the woman, my son, who is about to be killed for losing his new phone!   They came round and picked it up and my grandaughter wouldn't take anything, but the lad took her out for dinner, and although she has a steady boyfriend, they have become firm friends.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:21 pm

eddie wrote:
Joy Division wrote:

Cheers JD. I'd have given the driver a tip too.

Let's see. My OH will ring me soon x

..let's hope it was appreciated at least Eds x:)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:28 pm

Sassy wrote:
eddie wrote:

Too true sassy xx

Certainly is!   My grandaughter found a virtually new phone on the field a while ago.   Someone with her suggested she kept and put her sim card in it.   She came straight back home with it and rang the number on it that said 'mum'.   A lady answered.   Grandaughter said, do you know anyone who has lost anything.   Yes, said the woman, my son, who is about to be killed for losing his new phone!   They came round and picked it up and my grandaughter wouldn't take anything, but the lad took her out for dinner, and although she has a steady boyfriend, they have become firm friends.

Ahh. That would've been a great love story hahahaha I'm a hopeless romantic! X
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:29 pm

Wallet returned no tip given.
God rewards good deeds I guess.
Let's hope the guy had a nice meal.

I hope the waiter pissed in his gravy though  Wink 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:39 pm

eddie wrote:Wallet returned no tip given.

...oh ya buggar ,,,that's really bad Eds, all that fuel, mileage, time and lost work..

I'm really disappointed for him Eds, that is just greedy, your man has lost out , bastard!!!! Maybe the waiter thing will happen!!! Twisted Evil 

Eds,im gutted for him,so he must be feeling terrible...

Off to tell the wife! Shocking all that distance etc Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:51 pm

eddie wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Ahh. That would've been a great love story hahahaha I'm a hopeless romantic! X

Wouldn't it just! However, her boyfriend is so absolutely gorgeous the poor bloke didn't stand a chance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:52 pm

How mean, could at least have given him his petrol money. Tightwad! Oh well, at least your OH's conscience will keep him warm tonight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:01 pm

What a prick- total lack of appreciation  Evil or Very Mad 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:08 pm

eddie the wealthier they are i think the greedier . Your OH is a decent bloke and will get a reward back i am sure .

We often get customers leaving car keys and purses/walletts on our counter , we have even driven to their homes to return them when they have phoned us to enquire about the purses/walletts.

We often get a fiver given us for our good deed , once we were mentioned in the local newspaper for our kindness from and old lady who left her bag which we returned to her so she didn't have to come back out . Sometimes we just get a thank you but other times we get rewards , the money goes in the charity tin for the cat shelter so its going to a good cause .

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:16 pm

@Vod that's lovely, and things should always be returned, it's only right.

@everyone else, I think it is rather ungrateful of the bloke, and let's face it, my OH saved him from having a shit holiday!
Oh well, at least the guy can report back that English men are honest HAHAHAHAHA xx
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:17 pm

Guys, Girls

Whatever shit is out there, we can all go to sleep tonight knowing we are amoung a very rare group of people.  We have never met, more is the pity, we often disagree, more than once a day take the Michael....... but we are all of the same mind.

It is such a warm feeling to be associated with such as you and a pleasure

Thank you.

Hats to Edd's OH for making this possible.

He has had grief from me for not taking the " Toe " seriously but I think he can be forgiven.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:22 pm

eddie wrote:@Vod that's lovely, and things should always be returned, it's only right.

@everyone else, I think it is rather ungrateful of the bloke, and let's face it, my OH saved him from having a shit holiday!
Oh well, at least the guy can report back that English men are honest HAHAHAHAHA xx

I agree edds , your OH put himself out returning that wallett , the guy was mean for sure  Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:25 pm

eddie wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Too true sassy xx

It would be like stealing it without even having the guts to take a risk! Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:27 pm

gerber wrote:Guys, Girls

Whatever shit is out there, we can all go to sleep tonight knowing we are amoung a very rare group of people.  We have never met, more is the pity, we often disagree, more than once a day take the Michael....... but we are all of the same mind.

Thank you.

He has had grief from me for not taking the " Toe " seriously but I think he can be forgiven.

Excellent post Gerber

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:17 pm

gerber wrote:Guys, Girls

Thank you.

Yeah ok, he's forgiven this time Gerbs, but I tell ya, if I break another one and he's not nice.....well I may steal his wallet  Cool 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:25 pm

edds you need to put his wallett on a leash i have OH Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:31 pm

VOD(original) wrote:edds you need to put his wallett on a leash i have OH Wink

I would love mine to have a wallet worthy of a leash
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️