NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

April 1970: U.S. House of Representatives passes "Guaranteed Annual Income" bill

3 posters

Go down

April 1970: U.S. House of Representatives passes "Guaranteed Annual Income" bill Empty April 1970: U.S. House of Representatives passes "Guaranteed Annual Income" bill

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:37 pm

... which would do just what it sounds like; provide a guaranteed annual income for all U.S. households. The measure, which died in the Senate, would have guaranteed every U.S. family of four (for example) about $15,000 to $30,000 per year.

How things change!

In the course of weeks of reporting — both through interviews and an exploration of the documentary record — Remapping Debate found that GAI proposals were given room to breathe in a social and political environment that took seriously the values of citizenship and mutual obligation, and that accepted the fact that social problems could be — indeed, should be — solved by governments.

That environment has disappeared, due in large measure, we found, to the rise of “market thinking,” a mindset that subordinated — and, in some respects, supplanted altogether — the values of citizenship and mutual obligation.

http://www.remappingdebate.org/article/guaranteed-income%E2%80%99s-moment-sun

Contrast to this quote:

“There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for (President Obama) no matter what. All right — there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent on government, who believe that, that they are victims, who believe that government has the responsibility to care for them. Who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing.” (You-Know-Who)
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

April 1970: U.S. House of Representatives passes "Guaranteed Annual Income" bill Empty Re: April 1970: U.S. House of Representatives passes "Guaranteed Annual Income" bill

Post by Lurker Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:13 pm

“There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for (President Obama) no matter what. All right — there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent on government, who believe that, that they are victims, who believe that government has the responsibility to care for them. Who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing.”

That's the same mind set of CArnold and T-bagger, also. They all are collectively brainwashed in the church of the modern GOP. It's all lies of course. It's just like Al-Qaeda. Brainwash your lemmings in enough lies and they will follow you anywhere.
Lurker
Lurker
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

April 1970: U.S. House of Representatives passes "Guaranteed Annual Income" bill Empty Re: April 1970: U.S. House of Representatives passes "Guaranteed Annual Income" bill

Post by veya_victaous Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:11 am

I'd hate to part of that 47%, the US gives its poor nothing compare to a civilized nation.
I'm not 100% sure it's true but if it is it is disgusting.
that the City of New York employs people to collect the Frozen corpse of the homeless in winter as opposed to spending the money to get them off the street before they death.

what i don't get in the Right wing argument is that IF society offers nothing to a person why should they continue to be part of society. i.e. If the Rich guy is keeping me so poor I have to eat food they is illegal to sell to animals in other countires then I'd be better off ignoring the laws including the ones about his property. when combined with the easy access to guns in the US I am amazed that Millions of Americans don't claim their rightful share.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down