NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should a persons weight be considered when hiring for a job?

+2
gelico
Syl
6 posters

Go down

Should a persons weight be considered when hiring for a job? Empty Should a persons weight be considered when hiring for a job?

Post by Syl Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:39 pm

A recruiter has shared her shock about an employer who suggested an interviewee was too fat for a job.

"Faye Angeletta, a recruitment director from the UK, said she was “lost for words” after a potential employer commented on an interviewee’s weight.

When Angeletta asked how the interview went, the unnamed employer said: “The only thing bothering me is she isn’t the slimmest of girls… I’m not being sizeist but it was rather off putting.

“Presentation is important to us and you know we have a ‘standard’ for our staff.”
They added that a person’s look is key to the role they were hiring for, much to Angeletta’s surprise.

She said that during her time in recruitment for roles in new home sales, she’s heard many reasons for rejecting a candidate - including them having “garlic breath”, reminding interviewers of Piers Morgan or stroking their cat on Zoom “like Dr. Evil” - but, none quite like this."

https://www.indy100.com/viral/recruiter-lost-for-words-as-boss-refuses-to-hire-woman-because-she-s-too-fat-b1962804
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Should a persons weight be considered when hiring for a job? Empty Re: Should a persons weight be considered when hiring for a job?

Post by Syl Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:42 pm

I think it must be quite usual for obese or fat people to be refused jobs, even if they can physically do them.
Not sure why the  recruiter was shocked, people, especially women, have been judged on their looks since time began.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Should a persons weight be considered when hiring for a job? Empty Re: Should a persons weight be considered when hiring for a job?

Post by gelico Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:41 pm

Syl wrote:I think it must be quite usual for obese or fat people to be refused jobs, even if they can physically do them.
Not sure why the  recruiter was shocked, people, especially women, have been judged on their looks since time began.

i agree, syl, and not just women, men also get judged on appearance but i would say women more than men.

we all judge someone else when meeting them even if we're not really aware of it

i think perhaps what was unusual in this instance is the guy being honest and voicing his opinion rather than keeping it to himself

Cool

gelico
Forum Detective

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:42 pm

stroking their cat like Dr Evil

Should a persons weight be considered when hiring for a job? 3489511464

gelico
Forum Detective

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:35 pm

I see no problem with someone's weight if they can do the job.
If they are looking for someone with a certain look for a job that is in keeping with whatever they do they should make that a requirement. Would many people be concerned if a fat surgeon was going to save your life?

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:48 pm

Vintage wrote:I see no problem with someone's weight if they can do the job.
If they are looking for someone with a certain look for a job that is in keeping with whatever they do they should make that a requirement. Would many people be concerned if a fat surgeon was going to save your life?

no, but who would want some tub of lard to be the face of their new Gym?

gelico
Forum Detective

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:49 pm

Well in that case you would advertise for some muscle head wouldn't you.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:04 pm

Vintage wrote:Well in that case you would advertise for some muscle head wouldn't you.

oh absolutely

only problem is that in today's oh so inclusive world a tub of lard could turn up for interview and then publically whinge about being discriminated and knowing how fuckwitted everything is turning would probably win some mad court case over it.

especially if said tub of lard ''identified'' as muscle man supremo

what a dilemma

gelico
Forum Detective

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:32 pm

It doesn't say what the vacancy was for or how overweight the woman was, but tbh, in many jobs, even if the actual weight wouldn't stop a person from doing the job, being obese is not a good look.

The biggest surprise in this story is an experienced recruiter could be surprised that an employer would prefer someone slimmer to do the job.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:51 pm

a cousin of mine who died of cancer years ago was probably never turned down for a job in her life. she was the busiest person i ever knew. she had a full time job, a part time business, looked after hubby and the kids and, when diagnosed with cancer, went into massive fund raising for cancer care and all because they had helped her so much.

she had the biggest heart and personality and was loved so much and her funeral service was packed out, literally with people standing everywhere crying and she was the size of a barn door.

it shouldn't really matter at all

gelico
Forum Detective

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:00 pm

It shouldn't, but it does.
People more than ever now seem obsessed with looks.
I know from working in clubs and bars, that many times club owners picked the girls for their looks rather than their experience, and in a way that was inevitable. But now it seems  more than ever people are obsessed with looking the part, probably why on every high street it seems every other female has a trout pout....I blame the internet. Rolling Eyes

Weight isn't only about looks though, it's about health, and personality.
See a very overweight person and many people see a greedy person with little self control.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:02 pm

Syl wrote:It shouldn't, but it does.
People more than ever now seem obsessed with looks.
I know from working in clubs and bars, that many times club owners picked the girls for their looks rather than their experience, and in a way that was inevitable. But now it seems  more than ever people are obsessed with looking the part, probably why on every high street it seems every other female has a trout pout....I blame the internet.  Rolling Eyes

Weight isn't only about looks though, it's about health, and personality.
See a very overweight person and many people see a greedy person with little self control.

Wouldn't it depend on the job? There's little use for a 24 stone fire fighter who can barely breath walking up the stairs never mind wearing breathing apparatus and carrying people out of buildings. I guess it depends on your definition of fat. There's overweight and then there's morbidly obese.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:25 pm

I think it's a bit naive to think employers aren't considering applicants' looks, particularly for jobs where you deal with the public. They definitely know what look they're going for, the image they want for their company.

That's why managing a vape shop works for me -- I'm the hipster-looking dude with the beard and the funny accent that makes people want to chat Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:31 pm

Sometimes a person’s weight does matter. In a busy restaurant, for instance, an overweight person is going to be a hindrance in a busy kitchen, people are rushing around and squeezing past each other...
And.
Would I want an obese person as front of house for my restaurant? No I wouldn’t.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down