NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did she overreact or was she right?

+2
Original Quill
eddie
6 posters

Go down

Did she overreact or was she right? Empty Did she overreact or was she right?

Post by eddie Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:33 pm

Woman storms out of family party after discovering mom’s ‘heartless’ gift-giving decision

A 19-year-old worked hard to get her mother a special birthday present. Then her mom gave the gift away.

She asked Reddit’s “Am I the A******” to weigh in. She saved up for over a year to get her mom an expensive watch. But she later noticed her little sister was wearing the watch. The Reddit poster confronted her mother about the issue, which just made her parents upset.

“I am a college student,” the Reddit poster said. “I have a full scholarship that pays for tuition and boarding. I also work part-time to pay for other expenses. In short, I never ask my parents for money as I can provide for myself. My mom’s birthday was last June. I saved enough money to buy her a Montblanc watch as she loves watches. To some, it might not be as posh but it took me more than a year to save for it.”

But when she was watching her sister’s high school graduation over Zoom, she was stunned by what she saw.

“My sister graduated last month and I went home to celebrate with them,” she explained. “When I got home, I saw my sister wearing mom’s birthday present. I asked her about the watch and she said it was mom’s graduation gift to her. My heart sank. I asked mom to talk to me in the kitchen, why she gave away the watch I got her. Mom said she has enough watches already and my sister loved the one I got her so she just gave it away. I left the house after excusing myself. I have always felt my parents favor my sister than me but this time I sort of confirmed it. My mom and dad said I ruined the dinner that was supposed to celebrate my sister’s achievement and I was petty for walking out of the dinner party.”

Reddit users thought the daughter was justified in feeling betrayed.

“This was SO cruel of your mother,” a user commented.

“Pretty heartless of your mom,” another said.

“To just dismiss your love and effort and give it away is really hurtful,” a person wrote.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/woman-storms-family-party-discovering-135421734.html?_guc_consent_skip=1629926958
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Did she overreact or was she right? Empty Re: Did she overreact or was she right?

Post by Original Quill Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:51 pm

Did she overreact or was she right? A1c929d1-94a2-4b74-b61f-d075894e76f5

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Did she overreact or was she right? Empty Re: Did she overreact or was she right?

Post by eddie Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:58 pm

Great meme Quill, but what are your thoughts?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:04 pm

Did she overreact or was she right? 89d1dbb1b0c50aaac9576c63343e2285

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:24 pm

Quill! What’s your opinion? Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:35 pm

hmmm, not sure

did she actually ask her mum what she wanted for her birthday?

did her mum know that she saved up all year for it?

was it really the fact that her mum had given away her gift or was it the cost?

i mean if she'd got her mum a pretty watch that was about £10 would she still have felt so betrayed?

mind you if you suddenly feel that pissed off about something that you feel ready to blow your stack i would say that walking away would definitely be the better option

gelico
Forum Detective

eddie and Didgee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:38 pm

I understand that she's disappointed, I probably would be as well, but she has to realise that her mother has her reasons for giving the watch away, and learn that sometimes people don't appreciate things the way you'd hoped they would.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:39 pm

Good points Gels, but we can only go by what was said in the article - that her mum probably knew what it was worth as she was into watches, that her mum also know that it would have taken her daughter a long time to save for it.

I thought the same things as you and then my one thought was this:

Would I give away a gift my child had thoughtfully bought for me?
The answer is no.

If Beanie had bought you something like that I know you’d treasure it.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:45 pm

I automatically treasure anything given to me by someone I love. Someone who doesn't makes me think there's not much love there, actually.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

eddie and Syl like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:53 pm

eddie wrote:
If Beanie had bought you something like that I know you’d treasure it.

indeed i would, eddie

i'd treasure it all the way to the pawn shop

Did she overreact or was she right? 1f602

but seriously without knowing more background it's hard to give an opinion

for all i know the mum was upset cos she couldn't afford a graduation present for her youngest daughter and thought/hoped her eldest would understand

no idea but more communication might help them lolol

i still say if i'm pissed off in any family situation it's best to back away. if they call me petty for it then so be it

gelico
Forum Detective

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:05 am

I walk away too. But perhaps this girl was tired of “walking away”.

Like you though, I always want to know more...(and you say that I sit on the fence!) back at ya. Razz

eddie
eddie

gelico likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:41 am

Without a doubt I think the mother has acted in a horrible way.
The cost of the watch doesn't matter, whether it's cheap or expensive is not the point, a loving mum would cherish the gift, not give it away.
That's so mean imo.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:06 pm

Syl wrote:Without a doubt I think the mother has acted in a horrible way.
The cost of the watch doesn't matter, whether it's cheap or expensive is not the point, a loving mum would cherish the gift, not give it away.
That's so mean imo.

That was my first instinctive reaction too.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:40 pm

I don't like regifting, PERIOD.

It's an insult to the original gift-giver/donor that you thought so little of his/her gift that you tossed it back.

It's an insult to the pass-on, recipient of the gift that you thought so little of them that you couldn't be bothered to look for an original gift.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:38 pm

Original Quill wrote:I don't like regifting, PERIOD.

It's an insult to the original gift-giver/donor that you thought so little of his/her gift that you tossed it back.

It's an insult to the pass-on, recipient of the gift that you thought so little of them that you couldn't be bothered to look for an original gift.

Well put and in a nutshell. Very unlike you...!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:24 pm

Original Quill wrote:I don't like regifting, PERIOD.

good points actually quill

now i've had time to reflect, as syl or eddie said, if beanie went to the trouble and expense for me there is no way in a million years i would do that. even if i didn't like or want the darn thing, i wouldnt give it away and you make a good point about getting something original for her other daughter

seems downright lazy and thoughtless actually

gelico
Forum Detective

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:31 pm

The way to deal with re-gifters is to re-gift the re-gift to them in a year's time.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Syl likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:32 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:The way to deal with re-gifters is to re-gift the re-gift to them in a year's time.

I swear you’d make a great dominatrix! affraid
eddie
eddie

Syl likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:39 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:The way to deal with re-gifters is to re-gift the re-gift to them in a year's time.

Did she overreact or was she right? 1f602

gelico
Forum Detective

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum