NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why are Brits obsessed with holidays?

4 posters

Go down

Why are Brits obsessed with holidays? Empty Why are Brits obsessed with holidays?

Post by Syl Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:08 pm

From next week a £5,000 will be introduced for those who try to sneak off abroad on holiday, but why are  Brits so obsessed with holidaying?

I have cancelled three holidays in the last year, and I know I am typical of many others. I love the sun, that's my reason for escaping for a few weeks every year, but now it seems, due to travel restrictions, getting a holiday in this country will be as rare as hens teeth ....everywhere has been booked up for weeks.

"THOSE who leave the UK to travel abroad without good reason could face £5,000 fines under laws coming into force next week.

The legislation for restrictions over the coming months, as the Government sets out its road map for coming out of lockdown, was published on Monday.

The latest changes, which come into force on March 29, put restrictions on leaving the UK without a "reasonable excuse".

Those who break the rules could face a £5,000 fine."

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/19180079.covid-holidaymakers-face-5k-fines-travelling-abroad/
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Why are Brits obsessed with holidays? Empty Re: Why are Brits obsessed with holidays?

Post by Maddog Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:57 pm

I don't think its just Brits.  My daughter just got back from a week in Hawaii. But she doesn't live in a prison state.  

But you're weather is pretty miserable.  I'd want to get away too.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Why are Brits obsessed with holidays? Empty Re: Why are Brits obsessed with holidays?

Post by Maddog Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:23 pm

And the US had its busiest travel day in a year two days ago. .

No doubt all the spring breakers flying home.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:25 pm

Maddog wrote:I don't think its just Brits.  My daughter just got back from a week in Hawaii. But she doesn't live in a prison state.  

We don't live in a prison state either. Rolling Eyes

You are right about the weather though....it is pretty miserable a lot of the time.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:20 pm

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:I don't think its just Brits.  My daughter just got back from a week in Hawaii. But she doesn't live in a prison state.  

You are right about the weather though....it is pretty miserable a lot of the time.

If you get in trouble with the law for leaving, this late in the game.......
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:27 pm

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:

You do understand that this is STILL a pandemic don't you Maddog?

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:33 pm

I have been unable to go on two holidays to Gran Canaria last year....we should be away again now, luckily we didn't book this one so don't have the hassle of waiting for refunds.
Last year we also had a road trip planned out around England and Wales....obviously that fell by the wayside too.
Maddog if you think the first lockdown, then the Tier systems that were almost as bad, then another lockdown has been easy here, YOU ARE WRONG. snobby

We (well hopefully the majority) have accepted them and followed the guidelines because they make more sense than not following them and seeing the cases rise again.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:56 pm

RE the op... This is another example of draconian and unnecessary measures being put in place that restrict the fundamental freedoms we should expect to enjoy.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:39 pm

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:

You do understand that this is STILL a pandemic don't you Maddog?

No, it's not. That's why we are going about our regular business.

Go take a vacation.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:41 pm

Syl wrote:I have been unable to go on two holidays to Gran Canaria last year....we should be away again now, luckily we didn't book this one so don't have the hassle of waiting for refunds.
Last year we also had a road trip planned out around England and Wales....obviously that fell by the wayside too.
Maddog if you think the first lockdown, then the Tier systems that were almost as bad, then another lockdown has been easy here, YOU ARE WRONG. snobby

We (well hopefully the majority) have accepted them and followed the guidelines because they make more sense than not following them and seeing the cases rise again.

I never said it was easy.

I said you're numbers are way down as you have kicked the shit out of this thing. Come out of your bunkers.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:10 am

Tommy Monk wrote:

RE the op... This is another example of draconian and unnecessary measures being put in place that restrict the fundamental freedoms we should expect to enjoy.

Well you wont be going anywhere anyway.....not when the vaccination passports are needed in order to fly or be allowed in other countries.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:13 am

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:I have been unable to go on two holidays to Gran Canaria last year....we should be away again now, luckily we didn't book this one so don't have the hassle of waiting for refunds.

I said you're numbers are way down as you have kicked the shit out of this thing. Come out of your bunkers.  
No one is denying our vaccination programme hasn't been a great success.

The gradual relaxation of the lockdown has already started....we will be out of the bunkers soon enough.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:25 am

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:

The gradual relaxation of the lockdown has already started....we will be out of the bunkers soon enough.

Not soon enough for some people. These measures have far more impact than simply canceling trips to Spain. A lot of folks are hurting from these measures and keeping them in place a second longer than necessary is asinine.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:37 am

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:

Not soon enough for some people. These measures have far more impact than simply canceling trips to Spain. A lot of folks are hurting from these measures and keeping them in place a second longer than necessary is asinine.
I know that, it hasn't been easy for anyone.
But opening up too early, then having to close again because it was proving that infections and deaths were soaring again, was worse.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:32 am

i haven't been on holiday in.....30 years give or take although i consider my self Scottish not "British"

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:04 am

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:

But opening up too early, then having to close again because it was proving that infections and deaths were soaring again, was worse.

Of course it was. But you didn't have a vaccine. Now you do and it's what is driving your rates down, not your silly lockdown.

What do you think is driving our rates down while we're open and sorta maskless? And don't tell me density. That hasn't changed since January.

We have at least 20% of the population with some level of antibodies and another large percentage with a vaccine. And in many cases both.

Oh, and you didn't have to close again. We didn't. We were running out of hospital beds but we kept rolling because we knew what the solution was. Jabs in arms and that's exactly what we did.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:37 am

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:

Of course it was. But you didn't have a vaccine. Now you do and it's what is driving your rates down, not your silly lockdown.

What do you think is driving our rates down while we're open and sorta maskless? And don't tell me density. That hasn't changed since January.

We have at least 20% of the population with some level of antibodies and another large percentage with a vaccine. And in many cases both.

Oh, and you didn't have to close again.  We didn't. We were running out of hospital beds but we kept rolling because we knew what the solution was. Jabs in arms and that's exactly what we did.  

You are comparing your country with ours, there are huge differences. Rolling Eyes

The bottom line will be how successful we will be (all of us) in learning to cope with Covid, not only now but in the future, because it's obviously something we will all have to live with in the years to come.
Yes we have the vaccine...and the UK government has decided that, in tandem with a softer releasing of lockdown, is the way forwards...and fingers crossed it's working.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:39 am

Korben wrote:i haven't been on holiday in.....30 years give or take although i consider my self Scottish not "British"

I am English but for some reason I have always put British on documents.

Korben, why (can I ask) have you not taken any holidays in 30 years?? Shocked
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:02 pm

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Oh, and you didn't have to close again.  We didn't. We were running out of hospital beds but we kept rolling because we knew what the solution was. Jabs in arms and that's exactly what we did.  

You are comparing your country with ours, there are huge differences.  Rolling Eyes

The bottom line will be how successful we will be (all of us) in learning to cope with Covid, not only now but in the future, because it's obviously something we will all have to live with in the years to come.
Yes we have the vaccine...and the UK government has decided that, in tandem with a softer releasing of lockdown, is the way forwards...and fingers crossed it's working.

I'm comparing the drop in cases.

And I'm actually comparing Texas because we have been open for months and dropped the mask mandate a few weeks ago. I want to show the sharp contrast.

Why has our drop mirrored yours? What did we do to go from near crisis to an 80% drop in cases, at the same time you did?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:14 pm

Syl wrote:
Korben wrote:i haven't been on holiday in.....30 years give or take although i consider my self Scottish not "British"

it was very hard to take any sort of holiday because of my daughters disability

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:24 pm

I would also add although i am Scottish i have zero problem with the English people as a whole in fact i was brought up and educated in England and lived there from 2 to when i was 19 ,my mother was English my sister is English .she says i am more Scottish that many Scottish people despite the strong south Yorkshire accent

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:00 pm

Korben wrote:I would also add although i am Scottish i have zero problem with the English people as a whole in fact i was brought up and educated in England and lived there from 2 to when i was 19 ,my mother was English my sister is English .she says i am more Scottish that many Scottish people despite the strong south Yorkshire accent

My best friend for years was a girl from Glasgow.
Her accent was so strong loads of people couldn't make out half of what she was saying, they used to ask me to translate. Laughing
I knew her so well I never had a problem understanding her.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:01 pm

Korben wrote:
Syl wrote:

Oh I'm sorry Korben, I didn't know. x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:15 pm

Syl wrote:
Korben wrote:

Thanks but honestly there is nothing to be sorry for Syl, it is what it is i don't resent one single day

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:34 pm

Korben wrote:
Syl wrote:

Thanks but honestly there is nothing to be sorry for Syl, it is what it is i don't resent one single day

I love you
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

LiamOgden likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:23 am

I’ve never been obsessed with holidays, or the sun, or sitting around for two weeks getting brown.

Holidays are ridiculously expensive and hardly worth the struggle.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

LiamOgden likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:08 pm

eddie wrote:I’ve never been obsessed with holidays, or the sun, or sitting around for two weeks getting brown.

Holidays are ridiculously expensive and hardly worth the struggle.

That's one way of looking at it. Cool

I love the sun, and I get withdrawal symptoms if I haven't been able to get near the sea, so for me, holidays are worth the money. sunny
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down