NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Childhood Christmases

3 posters

Go down

Childhood Christmases Empty Childhood Christmases

Post by Vintage Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:35 pm

So with everything seemingly so negative in the news these days, I thought I'd step back in time and ask you all how you remember your childhood Christmases, I think it might be interesting due to the range in ages on here anyway indulge me if you can.
For me it started in Sept/Oct by collecting hazel nuts these would be stored in a biscuit tin at the back of the cupboard until the big day. A little later my mother would start preparing the cake and puddings which were again stored away. Then it was time to collect holly and mistletoe to dress up the room. We'd get the Christmas tree on the last working day for my father, he was a forester and we had free 6ft trees. Everything would be ready with a bucket of moist earth for when the tree arrived and the decorations put on it, some were already ancient in my day, I can remember little candle holders that you clipped to the branches with the birthday cake type candles in them. As the youngest I had the honour of placing the star or the angel on the top of the tree. We'd go to church on Christmas eve, then in the morning I would wake to find my stocking at the bottom of the bed which contained a small toy, a whistle, a yoyo or something like that, some of the hazel nuts, a large orange and a bag full of chocolate money wrapped in gold foil in a string bag. Then down stairs for my main present and more chocolate and the annuals of various sorts you could get. Dinner was hectic with the family expanded by friends and relations some we hadn't expected, how my mother managed it all I don't know. We'd have people sleeping on settees and arm chairs pushed together. I watched a bit of TV in the evening
as it wasn't 24 hours TV then and played party games, it was magic and even better when it snowed which it did more often than not and the village would look like a Christmas Card and it was all silent.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Syl and gelico like this post

Back to top Go down

Childhood Christmases Empty Re: Childhood Christmases

Post by gelico Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:55 pm

ah vin, mine was much the same although we used to always celebrate bonfire night either at ours with friends/neighbours over, big bonfire, jacket potatoes, firework display and much merriment. or over at someone elses house or a public council display so my mother wouldn't entertain even any talk of Christmas till that was out the way. Also decorations and tree didn't go up till about a week or so before Christmas although there were card displays and holly etc.

christmas day sounds much the same. awoke early to the stocking then downstairs to main presents. (we could indulge our stockings as much as we liked but had to be showered and dressed and ready for church service by 9,30, so some main presents got left till later.

reading my annuals and sucking on toffees in between helping mother cook dinner . we had neighbours popping in and out all morning and with every one it was ''oh have a glass of sherry while you're here'' so invariably my mothear was always 3 sheets to the wind by the time we all finally sat down to eat.

afternoon spent, with a walk in hainult forest or some such and then with presents and dozing in front of a real fire then more visitors in the evening

then a general round of parties at various relations and neighbours and our own gaff which lasted up till the new years eve celebrations, sometimes even beyond that. wherever we went there were kids round my own age and i liked all my relations anyway so never remember being bored or wanting to go home

magical times

gelico
Forum Detective

Syl likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:23 pm

Sounds lovely Gelico.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:30 am

Lovely memories from Gels and Vintage.

I dont really remember lots of details.
I do remember making paper chains for Chritmas decorations  out of coloured crepe paper, then hanging them on the ceiling in the kitchen.
The kitchen in my childhood home would be called the living room or lounge today. It was the one room we always had a coal fire burning.

I also remember my sister and I hanging up pillow cases every Christmas Eve, trying to get to sleep early so Christmas morning would come quick, and inevitably  in the morning they would be filled with a nice present, tangerine, nuts, chocolate and other goodies.

I remember even after my dad left, my mum took us to the kids Christmas  party the police always held for coppers kids, it was in a big hotel somewhere in town, and even though mum didn't have much money, she always managed to buy us a party outfit to wear.
I think back then lots of parents put money away every week in the 'club'.....though I was never sure what the actual club was.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum