NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ARE you OK ?

+8
Original Quill
Maddog
Vintage
Eilzel
Fred Moletrousers
Syl
HoratioTarr
nicko
12 posters

Go down

ARE you OK ? Empty ARE you OK ?

Post by nicko Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:32 am

Received a Parcel from Hospital yesterday, in it was a letter confirming I have Terminal Cancer of the Prostate and surrounding areas. I had no idea that the Prostate could grow again after removal almost 20 years ago, no one told me that, plus I had never heard of it mentioned. Together with the letter were Two Packets of Tablets. From one packet I am to take 3 tabs a day, the other, to help stop Diarrhea ! The side effects of the 3 tabs are horrendous and MAY give me another 8 or 9 months of life. Is it worth it ? I don't think so. Do you ?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

ARE you OK ? Empty Re: ARE you OK ?

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:13 am

nicko wrote:Received a  Parcel from Hospital yesterday, in it was a letter confirming I have Terminal Cancer of the Prostate and surrounding areas. I had no idea that the Prostate could grow again after removal almost 20 years ago, no one told me that, plus I had never heard of it mentioned. Together with the letter were Two Packets of Tablets. From one packet I am to take 3 tabs a day, the other, to help stop Diarrhea ! The side effects of the 3 tabs are horrendous and MAY give me another 8 or 9 months of life. Is it worth it ? I don't think so. Do you ?

So sorry to hear about your illness. This is a very personal journey for you and only you can make those decisions. My thoughts on it are that I would also respect whatever course of action someone chose to take with a terminal illness, just as I'd expect the same if it were me.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:38 pm

Hi Nicko, like HT said, only you can make that decision.
I honestly think, even if anyone else KNOWS what they would do, they dont really, not till they are walking in those same shoes.

Whatever you decide will be right for you.
I know one thing though, all anyone would want for you is to be at peace with the decision you make.
Good luck and God bless. x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:02 pm

Hi Nicko, old mate. This is about the toughest of all calls and it's one that I've often thought hard about now that I'm into my 80s and with a few threatening medical issues. And my answer, like the previous ones from your friends here, is that it is one that only you yourself can make. And in all honesty, I really don't know which direction I will choose when my own time comes.
About all I can say is that seven years ago when my late wife had to make much the same call on her diagnosis of terminal ovarian cancer she fought like a tigress for every precious extra day she could be with me and our family, even though she was desperately ill and frequently in severe pain.
I was so humbly proud of her, and I can only hope that if I'm not destined simply to drift quietly and peacefully away as I would wish, that I would be as noble and brave as she was.
God bless, You know that we're all thinking about you with great affection..
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

eddie and Syl like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:08 pm

Really sorry to hear how hard it's getting, nicko. I can't put myself in your shoes. I always imagined if I had a terminal illness and was suffering, then I wouldn't want that. But that's to say when not in that position. And as Lord Ed says, every moment is precious.

It is the hardest decision but ultimately it is your decision.

Again, really sorry to hear how bad it is. You are a real fighter Smile
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:05 pm

Dear Nicko, I'm so sorry to hear you've had this news.
I can only say the same as everyone else, the decision has to be yours, I concur with everything else already said above.
Life is very precious.
My thoughts and best wishes to you.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:09 pm

That's it? A fucking letter in the mail and some pills?

You should be having conversations in person with doctors about this. So they can better explain your options.

Please tell me you have hospice workers that will help you deal with whatever you decide.

As for what to do, I wish I had some wisdom to impart. Every day will be precious until one day they wont be I guess.

This is hitting me a hard. You're a good man that deserves better. Compounding this, I issued DNR and no feeding tubes for my mom last week. Today she gets transferred to a new facility where she will likely pass away in weeks or months.

God bless Nicko.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:50 pm

Sorry to hear that Nicko. Cancer is a wicked enemy. And here we are pruning back research and development on the subject.

God bless, man...and keep on truckin'.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:55 pm

Maddog wrote:That's it? A fucking letter in the mail and some pills?

You should be having conversations in person with doctors about this.  So they can better explain your options.

Please tell me you have hospice workers that will help you deal with whatever you decide.

As for what to do, I wish I had some wisdom to impart. Every day will be precious until one day they wont be I guess.  

This is hitting me a hard.  You're a good man that deserves better. Compounding this, I issued DNR and no feeding tubes for my mom last week. Today she gets transferred to a new facility where she will likely pass away in weeks or months.  

God bless Nicko.

I'm so sorry Maddog, I had to choose whether to sign those kind of forms as my mums life was coming to an end too.
Some decisions are so heart breaking. x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:04 pm

Syl wrote:

You should be having conversations in person with doctors about this.  So they can better explain your options.

This is hitting me a hard.  You're a good man that deserves better. Compounding this, I issued DNR and no feeding tubes for my mom last week. Today she gets transferred to a new facility where she will likely pass away in weeks or months.  

God bless Nicko.

I'm so sorry Maddog, I had to choose whether to sign those kind of forms as my mums life was coming to an end too.

And now she tested positive for covid and I'm sitting in a Drs office waiting for my test.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:06 pm

We've never had to sign anything but perhaps we would have had we taken the doctor's implied suggestion to give her an injection to 'make her comfortable for the inevitable'. As she was laying there apparently comfortable and sleeping we didn't think she was in pain and allowed nature to take its course, she died peacefully two days later as she slept or probably as she was comatose. We might have considered it for my father in law who was comatose but obviously in pain and discomfort for seven days but we weren't offered that kind of 'help' on that occasion.
Have to agree with Maddog, someone should e explaining things properly, are the side effects permanent or will your body attune to the medication given time and much else.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Didgee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:08 pm

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:

And now she tested positive for covid and I'm sitting in a Drs office waiting for my test.

Your poor Mum...and you too Maddog, sincerely, I hope you are OK. x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:24 pm

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Thanks
Results are in. I'm negative.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:26 pm

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:

Thanks
Results are in. I'm negative.  
That's good  news.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Maddog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:17 am

Sorry to hear about your mum, maddodg, but glad to hear you're negative.

This fucking year just keeps on going Sad
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

eddie and Maddog like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Didgee Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:43 pm

Nicko. do what is bets for you and what is more important is having a quality of life in what time you have left mate. At the end of the day its your choice and only you can decide what is best for you

Really sorry to hear this has happenned to you

@Maddog, sorry to hear about your mother mate.

Didgee
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Maddog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:43 pm

That's not good news Nicko and I'm really sorry to hear that... and the choice is entirely yours over the tablets mate... But what I would say is, quite often when taking a new type of tablets, it can take a little while for your body to get used to them, also, there are plenty of people who are told they can get a few months extra from taking certain meds, and the meds end up keeping them going for a much longer time...

And Maddog, my heart goes out to you too at this difficult time.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:44 pm

God, this is awful. Everything is ficking awful at the moment.
My anxiety is through the roof.

Nicko, do what you feel is best xxx
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:49 pm

I'm absolutely fucking gutted, Nicko. I want you to do whatever you can to make yourself happy.

That said, I also want you to hang around absolutely as long as you can, because I've known for years that I'll miss you when you're not posting here anymore, for whatever reason.

But this is your life and you know what's best for yourself. I'm sorry for you, sorry for myself, and sorry for everybody else who loves you.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

eddie and Syl like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:51 pm

God bless Nicko.

I can only imagine how gut-wrenching that must have been. I'm really sorry, man.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:51 pm

Maddog, I’m sorry about your mum. Truly.
All my love to you x

And Nicko? Please know all my love and best wishes are flowing to you right now xx
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum