NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coronavirus: Nicotine patches to be tested on patients after study suggests smokers less likely to catch COVID-19

4 posters

Go down

Coronavirus: Nicotine patches to be tested on patients after study suggests smokers less likely to catch COVID-19 Empty Coronavirus: Nicotine patches to be tested on patients after study suggests smokers less likely to catch COVID-19

Post by Guest Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:40 pm

Researchers stress people should not start smoking, pointing out it kills half of those who start.

Nicotine patches are to be tested on coronavirus patients and healthcare workers treating infected people after initial studies suggested smokers were less likely to catch the disease.

Researchers in France say early data indicates those who smoke make up a disproportionately small number of people in hospital with COVID-19.

A study at Paris's Pitie-Salpetriere hospital suggests a substance in tobacco, thought to be nicotine, was preventing smokers contracting coronavirus.

Those leading the study stressed they did not advise people to start smoking, with scientists pointing out it kills half of those who do so regularly - claiming around 75,000 deaths each year in France.

Advertisement
But they say they want to learn more after questioning 480 patients who tested positive for the virus. A total of 350 had to be treated in hospital while the rest with less serious symptoms were sent home.

Of those needing hospital treatment, whose median age was 65, just 4.4% were regular smokers. Only 5.3% of those allowed home - who had a median age of 44 - 5.3% reported they smoked.

The researchers said that according to the latest official statistics in France, smokers make up 30% of those aged 45-54, and 8.8% of women and 11.3% of men aged 65-75.

The authors write: "Our cross-sectional study strongly suggests that daily smokers have a much lower probability of developing symptomatic or severe SARS-CoV-2 infection compared to the general population.

"The effect is significant, it divides the risk by five for ambulatory patients and by four for hospitalised patients. You rarely see that in medicine."

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-nicotine-patches-to-be-tested-on-patients-after-study-suggests-smokers-less-likely-to-catch-covid-19-11977460

If this turns out to be true. How ironic, that one thing that kills countless people each year. Could be the on thing protecting people from this virus

Back to top Go down

Coronavirus: Nicotine patches to be tested on patients after study suggests smokers less likely to catch COVID-19 Empty Re: Coronavirus: Nicotine patches to be tested on patients after study suggests smokers less likely to catch COVID-19

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:41 pm

be the first time one of my bad habits has proven to be beneficial.....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Coronavirus: Nicotine patches to be tested on patients after study suggests smokers less likely to catch COVID-19 Empty Re: Coronavirus: Nicotine patches to be tested on patients after study suggests smokers less likely to catch COVID-19

Post by Guest Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:44 pm

Victorismyhero wrote:be the first time one of my bad habits has proven to be beneficial.....

More research needs to be done, but is very interesting

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:46 pm

Yep, something to do with the ace2 bonding site I believe.
though I'd advise vaping rather than smoking or even better patches or gum.....

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:47 pm

Victorismyhero wrote:be the first time one of my bad habits has proven to be beneficial.....

Ditto. Who woulda thunk it.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:49 pm

Woah. I’d have thought the opposite!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:50 pm

Victorismyhero wrote:Yep, something to do with the ace2 bonding site I believe.
though I'd advise vaping rather than smoking or even better patches or gum.....

Absolutely, though if this around nicotine, then patches could do just as well I guess

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:32 am

eddie wrote:Woah. I’d have thought the opposite!

It sounds like it more than cancels out the damage one does to one's lungs by smoking, which is really surprising.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down