NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ethical veganism should be protected the same as religious beliefs, judge rules

+6
'Wolfie
JulesV
Maddog
gelico
eddie
Ben Reilly
10 posters

Go down

Ethical veganism should be protected the same as religious beliefs, judge rules Empty Ethical veganism should be protected the same as religious beliefs, judge rules

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:35 pm

A tribunal has ruled that “ethical veganism” is a philosophical belief and should have legal protection against discrimination in the same way as a religion.

In a landmark legal case, employment judge Robin Postle found on Friday that ethical veganism was worthy of protection under the Equality Act 2010.

The case was brought by Jordi Casamitjana, the former head of policy and research at animal welfare charity the League Against Cruel Sports, who is challenging his sacking by the charity in 2018 after telling colleagues that their workplace pensions were invested in companies that conducted animal testing.

He argued that he was let go due to his vegan beliefs, which the charity denies. Instead the organisation said it sacked him for “gross misconduct” after alleging he had given his colleagues biased financial advice in relation to their workplace pensions, against management’s instructions.

https://www.ft.com/content/0862acd4-2e22-11ea-bc77-65e4aa615551

I have no problem with this ruling; I think this guy's employer fucked him over.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Ethical veganism should be protected the same as religious beliefs, judge rules Empty Re: Ethical veganism should be protected the same as religious beliefs, judge rules

Post by eddie Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:37 pm

His employer definitely fucked him over....for profit.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Ethical veganism should be protected the same as religious beliefs, judge rules Empty Re: Ethical veganism should be protected the same as religious beliefs, judge rules

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:41 pm

eddie wrote:His employer definitely fucked him over....for profit.

It was all about money, for sure. When it comes to high-level corporate decisions, they're all made with profit in mind.

Even when they do things that are objectively good, corporations are still just trying to make people love their brand and their products.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:20 pm

A tribunal has ruled that “ethical veganism” is a philosophical belief and should have legal protection against discrimination in the same way as a religion.

This is utter bollox imo.  No philosophical belief should ever be ''protected'' by law.    and the same goes for any religion.  your choice to believe what you want but it should never have some kind of legal protection surrounding it.  it's fucking insane.

The case was brought by Jordi Casamitjana, the former head of policy and research at animal welfare charity the League Against Cruel Sports, who is challenging his sacking by the charity in 2018 after telling colleagues that their workplace pensions were invested in companies that conducted animal testing.

that being said, i don't agree with his being sacked for giving his colleagues info about their pension investments.  i think he had every right to do that and they had every right to know, especially given the nature of the charity.

ps, glad you made it back to blighty, ben x

gelico
Forum Detective

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:25 pm

gelico wrote:A tribunal has ruled that “ethical veganism” is a philosophical belief and should have legal protection against discrimination in the same way as a religion.

This is utter bollox imo.  No philosophical belief should ever be ''protected'' by law.    and the same goes for any religion.  your choice to believe what you want but it should never have some kind of legal protection surrounding it.  it's fucking insane.

that being said, i don't agree with his being sacked for giving his colleagues info about their pension investments.  i think he had every right to do that and they had every right to know, especially given the nature of the charity.

ps, glad you made it back to blighty, ben x

Thanks, gels! I think the legal protection granted to this belief only serves to keep people from being sacked over it, to be fair. Sadly, the law seems to have to define each of these as they come, rather than just saying, it's bullshit to fire someone over this.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:21 pm

Can't wait for someone to decide that bestiality is their religion.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:28 pm

Maddog wrote:Can't wait for someone to decide that bestiality is their religion.  

What do you mean by that regarding this issue? Explain please.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:29 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:

In a landmark legal case, employment judge Robin Postle found on Friday that ethical veganism was worthy of protection under the Equality Act 2010.

He argued that he was let go due to his vegan beliefs, which the charity denies. Instead the organisation said it sacked him for “gross misconduct” after alleging he had given his colleagues biased financial advice in relation to their workplace pensions, against management’s instructions.

https://www.ft.com/content/0862acd4-2e22-11ea-bc77-65e4aa615551

I have no problem with this ruling; I think this guy's employer fucked him over.

Any group of people can get together and make a new religion. So if vegans want to …..... hey, be my guest!
I've no interest in veganism myself. I have never entertained it, and never will.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:35 pm

Maddog wrote:Can't wait for someone to decide that bestiality is their religion.  

I think most courts would deem that one step too far, don't you?

You could say that about anything. My religion requires me to murder, to rape, etc. I'm sure it's been tried before.

Remember, people by and large make sound decisions Wink
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:47 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:

You could say that about anything. My religion requires me to murder, to rape, etc. I'm sure it's been tried before.

OK, maybe they will just accept animal-human marriages as long as it's not sexual.

Back on topic.
I despise the idea of either party to an employment agreement being prohibited from ending it at any time. It's oppression.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:52 pm

Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

OK, maybe they will just accept animal-human marriages as long as it's not sexual.

Back on topic.  
I despise the idea of either party to an employment agreement being prohibited from ending it at any time.  It's oppression.  

Your employer being able to fire you for your personal beliefs isn't oppression?

It isn't oppressing people to say, if you express your beliefs, I'll deprive you of your livelihood?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:54 pm

Everyone should be able to express their beliefs without the fear of being fired.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:52 am

Ethical veganism should be protected the same as religious beliefs, judge rules 2215183653

"Ethical Veganism"...

Yet another modern day oxymoron..

You can't outlaw stupidity, so you can't outlaw such idiotic fads the likes of "veganism", anti-vaxxers and flat earthers.

But you certainly shouldn't be forced to employ those nutbags !!!
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:35 am

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Back on topic.  
I despise the idea of either party to an employment agreement being prohibited from ending it at any time.  It's oppression.  

Your employer being able to fire you for your personal beliefs isn't oppression?

It isn't oppressing people to say, if you express your beliefs, I'll deprive you of your livelihood?

No it's not. It's a two way street and either party should be able to end it at will.

You don't have a right to employment. You have a right to say anything you like, but your employer doesn't need to tolerate it. Should employees be allowed to march with the Klan?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:37 am

eddie wrote:Everyone should be able to express their beliefs without the fear of being fired.

So they can match around in Nazi uniforms and the employer is stuck with them?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:36 am

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:Everyone should be able to express their beliefs without the fear of being fired.

So you think membership in a hate group is the same as saying we shouldn't kill animals?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:23 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

So you think membership in a hate group is the same as saying we shouldn't kill animals?

No, but I'm making a point. Employers should have the right to determine what sort of people represent their companies.

And I do think people that think one species shouldn't kill and eat other species as a bit strange. I would prefer less strange people working for a company that I ran or owned. No doubt others would be fine with it and those two should form a mutually beneficial relationship.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:41 pm

This Political Correctness is a load of crap, can we not call a Spade a Spade ? --------oops !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:17 pm

Any sympathy that I have for this man and his rights is far outweighed by the fact that so many vegans are intolerant often to the point of aggression of the rights of people to buy and eat meat and eggs, drink milk and wear animal products if they so wish.

The most bigoted and illiberal people that I encountered in my public speaking role as a representative of the UK farming industry were vegans who were on the same platform or members of the audience.

Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:16 pm

People should be able to think what they think without judging others harshly and without forcing their opinions on others.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:28 pm

Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

No, but I'm making a point.  Employers should have the right to determine what sort of people represent their companies.  

And I do think people that think one species shouldn't kill and eat other species as a bit strange. I would prefer less strange people working for a company that I ran or owned. No doubt others would be fine with it and those two should form a mutually beneficial relationship.  

Do you think that would be a strange belief for "the former head of policy and research at animal welfare charity the League Against Cruel Sports" to hold?

Poor guy most likely believed he was in a group of like-minded people who would be horrified to learn they were profiting from animal testing.

Oh, and employment is never truly a two-way street. The employee is always more dependent upon the employer. You can't act as though both employer and employee enter into that contract on equal footing.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:30 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:Any sympathy that I have for this man and his rights is far outweighed by the fact that so many vegans are intolerant often to the point of aggression of the rights of people to buy and eat meat and eggs, drink milk and wear animal products if they so wish.

The most bigoted and illiberal people that I encountered in my public speaking role as a representative of the UK farming industry were vegans who were on the same platform or members of the audience.

So you think he should be punished for the actions of other vegans?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:13 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

No, but I'm making a point.  Employers should have the right to determine what sort of people represent their companies.  

Do you think that would be a strange belief for "the former head of policy and research at animal welfare charity the League Against Cruel Sports" to hold?

Poor guy most likely believed he was in a group of like-minded people who would be horrified to learn they were profiting from animal testing.

Oh, and employment is never truly a two-way street. The employee is always more dependent upon the employer. You can't act as though both employer and employee enter into that contract on equal footing.

Sounds like the guy was quite the narcissist and tried to abuse his position as an employee to attack his employer

The case has not been decided and its unlikely he will win and rightly so

People should not abuse their beliefs to use as a weapon to attack their employers

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:51 pm

So, this being the case, shouldnt those agressive troublemaking shop and farm attacking vegans be treated and hunted in exactly the same way as the terrorists belonging to other so called philosophical beliefs?
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:09 am

Ben Reilly wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:Any sympathy that I have for this man and his rights is far outweighed by the fact that so many vegans are intolerant often to the point of aggression of the rights of people to buy and eat meat and eggs, drink milk and wear animal products if they so wish.

So you think he should be punished for the actions of other vegans?

I'm not calling for anyone to be "punished" for anything; what an extraordinary idea.

I am simply saying that I have no sympathy for someone who pursues a "right" that does not, in my experience, respect the equal rights of others.

If an "ethical vegan" does not wish to serve me a pack of Tesco smoked bacon, then he or she should not expect be employed in a job at Tesco's which will inevitably involve serving me or anyone who wishes to buy a pack of bacon.

This particular case - which is, I suspect far from over as it is simply the ruling of a judge at an employment tribunal - appears to be centred on this man's deliberate attempt to disaffect  colleagues by making allegations about the employer's pension investment policy. But  with what aim other than to cause disloyalty, disaffection and disruption to the work of the organisation?

Taking his stance to what would be a logical conclusion, he presumably would have "nothing to do with me" (his words) because I, myself, am not an "ethical" or "philosophical" vegan.

Yet but for the bovine artificial aortic valve in my heart I would be dead.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:03 am

Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Back on topic.  

No it's not.  It's a two way street and either party should be able to end it at will.  

You don't have a right to employment. You have a right to say anything you like, but your employer doesn't need to tolerate it.  Should employees be allowed to march with the Klan?

Don't you see how your stance there gives FAR more freedom to big companies than it does to the average joe?

This is why libertarianism isn't really liberal at all. You simply take power from the state/government (who, corrupt as they may often be, are still largely accountable to the voter every few years and can be out on their ear if failing at their job), and had that power to the super rich. The vast majority would be no more or less free in real terms than they are already, but they'd have far fewer avenues of real justice.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:31 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Maddog wrote:

No it's not.  It's a two way street and either party should be able to end it at will.  

You don't have a right to employment. You have a right to say anything you like, but your employer doesn't need to tolerate it.  Should employees be allowed to march with the Klan?

Don't you see how your stance there gives FAR more freedom to big companies than it does to the average joe?

This is why libertarianism isn't really liberal at all. You simply take power from the state/government (who, corrupt as they may often be, are still largely accountable to the voter every few years and can be out on their ear if failing at their job), and had that power to the super rich. The vast majority would be no more or less free in real terms than they are already, but they'd have far fewer avenues of real justice.

No, it gives the employer and employee the same amount of power.  

What I see is a bias on many against big companies.  Like their very success makes them evil.

And I'm aware that people have an issue with libertarianism as it treats everyone the same without putting people in different groups and assigning them different values and rights.

Last edited by Maddog on Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:34 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Guess it depends on the employee.  

In any event, I will always support the idea that two people or groups can end a relationship for what ever reason they like.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:28 pm

Maddog wrote:
Eilzel wrote:
Maddog wrote:

What I see is a bias on many against big companies.  Like their very success makes them evil.

And I'm aware that people have an issue with libertarianism as it treats everyone the same without putting people in different groups and assigning them different values and rights.  

The party with more money always has more power. That's why most people have jumped through hoops to get every job they've ever had.

You offer a company a risk that you’ll end up making them more money than what they invest in you.

They offer in return money to pay for your housing, food, etc.

One is worth far more than the other. It's not equal.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:06 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

The party with more money always has more power. That's why most people have jumped through hoops to get every job they've ever had.

You offer a company a risk that you’ll end up making them more money than what they invest in you.

That would be the case if your bound to negotiate with only one company. In a functioning free market, there are plenty of places to work. Companies have to compete for labor. It's why companies offer competitive employment packages. They have to compete with each other or wind up with the worst employees. That's never profitable.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:03 am

Maddog wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Rolling Eyes

More outright economic illiteracy bullshit fantasy from the MadFlog...

The employer and individual employee never have "the same amount of power" in their negotiating..

Never have, never will.

It has always been an unequal situation..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:56 pm

Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

That would be the case if your bound to negotiate with only one company. In a functioning free market, there are plenty of places to work. Companies have to compete for labor.  It's why companies offer competitive employment packages.  They have to compete with each other or wind up with the worst employees.  That's never profitable.

In a functioning free market, you still have companies only seeking certain skills -- sometimes in the most ridiculous ways. I remember hearing about a tech company that was seeking programmers with 10 years experience coding JavaScript back when Java had only been around for four years.

You still have salary gradations that mean a father of four with a law degree who doesn't get into a decent firm will not just say, "Oh well, there's always Walmart."

There are only two circumstances in which employer and employee are on near-level footing -- one, we're talking about an industry like construction, where there are so few workers that companies are literally hoping and praying for applicants with a pulse and a few functioning brain cells -- or when labor is unionized properly, so that workers can afford to go on strike to remind their bosses that they need the workers just as much as the workers need management.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:20 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

That would be the case if your bound to negotiate with only one company. In a functioning free market, there are plenty of places to work. Companies have to compete for labor.  It's why companies offer competitive employment packages.  They have to compete with each other or wind up with the worst employees.  That's never profitable.

In a functioning free market, you still have companies only seeking certain skills -- sometimes in the most ridiculous ways. I remember hearing about a tech company that was seeking programmers with 10 years experience coding JavaScript back when Java had only been around for four years.

You still have salary gradations that mean a father of four with a law degree who doesn't get into a decent firm will not just say, "Oh well, there's always Walmart."

There are only two circumstances in which employer and employee are on near-level footing -- one, we're talking about an industry like construction, where there are so few workers that companies are literally hoping and praying for applicants with a pulse and a few functioning brain cells -- or when labor is unionized properly, so that workers can afford to go on strike to remind their bosses that they need the workers just as much as the workers need management.

No, he won't say there is always Wal-mart. I know a guy who got a law degree who didn't get into a good firm. He went to work for a company writing law books. He didn't go to Wal-Mart.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down