NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

20,000 plant species from 100 countries shipped to Svalbard seed vault

2 posters

Go down

20,000 plant species from 100 countries shipped to Svalbard seed vault Empty 20,000 plant species from 100 countries shipped to Svalbard seed vault

Post by Guest Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:09 pm

A Noah's Ark of 20,000 plant species will unload this week at a remote Arctic port to deposit humanity's latest insurance payment against an agricultural apocalypse or a man-made cock-up.

Brazilian beans and Japanese barley are among the botanical varieties that are carried aboard the ship that is shortly expected to dock near the Svalbard global seed vault, that celebrates its sixth anniversary this week.

The facility, which is bored into the side of a mountain by the Barents Sea, is primarily designed as a back-up for the many gene banks around the world that keep samples of crop diversity for agricultural businesses. But its operators, the Global Crop Diversity Trust, say the "Doomsday Vault" could also help to reboot the world's farms in the event of a climate catastrophe or a collapse of genetically modified crops.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/feb/26/svalbard-global-seed-vault-plants-shipped

Do they know something we dont?

Back to top Go down

20,000 plant species from 100 countries shipped to Svalbard seed vault Empty Re: 20,000 plant species from 100 countries shipped to Svalbard seed vault

Post by Guest Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:27 pm

You have bought a ticket on Rickie Branson's Virgin Galactic haven't you?

Back to top Go down

20,000 plant species from 100 countries shipped to Svalbard seed vault Empty Re: 20,000 plant species from 100 countries shipped to Svalbard seed vault

Post by Guest Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:52 pm

Tess. wrote:A Noah's Ark of 20,000 plant species will unload this week at a remote Arctic port to deposit humanity's latest insurance payment against an agricultural apocalypse or a man-made cock-up.

Brazilian beans and Japanese barley are among the botanical varieties that are carried aboard the ship that is shortly expected to dock near the Svalbard global seed vault, that celebrates its sixth anniversary this week.

The facility, which is bored into the side of a mountain by the Barents Sea, is primarily designed as a back-up for the many gene banks around the world that keep samples of crop diversity for agricultural businesses. But its operators, the Global Crop Diversity Trust, say the "Doomsday Vault" could also help to reboot the world's farms in the event of a climate catastrophe or a collapse of genetically modified crops.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/feb/26/svalbard-global-seed-vault-plants-shipped

Do they know something we dont?

yep and have done for a long time.... Smile 

read about the georgia guide stones, interesting stuff...

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:58 pm

This has been going on for a LONG time, I've never read anything more sinister into it than the idea that the world is under one constant threat or another -- from climate change to nuclear war to meteor strike to zombie apocalypse ( Smile ) and preparations should be made for life to survive such a thing.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:59 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:This has been going on for a LONG time, I've never read anything more sinister into it than the idea that the world is under one constant threat or another -- from climate change to nuclear war to meteor strike to zombie apocalypse ( Smile) and preparations should be made for life to survive such a thing.

that will be because your american... Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:01 pm

heavenly father wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:This has been going on for a LONG time, I've never read anything more sinister into it than the idea that the world is under one constant threat or another -- from climate change to nuclear war to meteor strike to zombie apocalypse ( Smile) and preparations should be made for life to survive such a thing.

What does my nationality have to do with it?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:02 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

come on you guys tried to kill the actor who played JR...lol .. Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:05 pm

heavenly father wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

Um, no we did not. I'm not aware of anybody ever trying to murder Larry Hagman, and if it did happen you really can't pin that on all 300 million-plus Americans ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:13 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

Um, no we did not. I'm not aware of anybody ever trying to murder Larry Hagman, and if it did happen you really can't pin that on all 300 million-plus Americans ...
But we can pin Monsanto on you!  Cool 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:16 pm

Tess. wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

But we can pin Monsanto on you!   Cool 

You can't pin Monsanto on me! It was founded 73 years before I was born, in a state I've never been to, and I've never had the opportunity to cast a vote on a single issue concerning Monsanto.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:19 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Tess. wrote:

You can't pin Monsanto on me! It was founded 73 years before I was born, in a state I've never been to, and I've never had the opportunity to cast a vote on a single issue concerning Monsanto.

the actor who played JR got regular death threats... Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:24 pm

heavenly father wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Tess. wrote:

Amanda Abbington got death threats from British people when it was announced she was going to play Watson's wife. So I guess you, being British, are just as dumb as them!  ::D:: ::D:: ::D:: 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:24 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Tess. wrote:

I meant on America, not you personally! On corporate greed really though; they'll still be troughing while all the world's crops and wildlife die because of their frankenstein meddling.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:25 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

Amanda Abbington got death threats from British people when it was announced she was going to play Watson's wife. So I guess you, being British, are just as dumb as them!  ::D:: ::D:: ::D:: 

only some of us, in america its an epidemic... Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:25 pm

Tess. wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Tess. wrote:

I meant on America, not you personally!  On corporate greed really though; they'll still be troughing while all the world's crops and wildlife die because of their frankenstein meddling.

I know that's what you meant, I was just trying out this "wind-up" humor that seems to be so popular on your soggy little island  Cool 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:38 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Tess. wrote:
I meant on America, not you personally!  On corporate greed really though; they'll still be troughing while all the world's crops and wildlife die because of their frankenstein meddling.

I know that's what you meant, I was just trying out this "wind-up" humor that seems to be so popular on your soggy little island  Cool 
But I don't live on that soggy little island, I live on an even soggier littler island.  Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:40 pm

Tess. wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Tess. wrote:

But I don't live on that soggy little island, I live on an even soggier littler island.   Smile 

I'm sorry, meant no offense -- which one? Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:59 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Tess. wrote:
But I don't live on that soggy little island, I live on an even soggier littler island.   Smile 

I'm sorry, meant no offense -- which one? Smile

20,000 plant species from 100 countries shipped to Svalbard seed vault Thlepj1020,000 plant species from 100 countries shipped to Svalbard seed vault Thlepj1020,000 plant species from 100 countries shipped to Svalbard seed vault Thlepj1020,000 plant species from 100 countries shipped to Svalbard seed vault Thlepj1020,000 plant species from 100 countries shipped to Svalbard seed vault Thlepj10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:10 pm

Oi, you're from wee Scotland! G'day, mate!

(just kidding  ::roglol:: ::roglol:: ::roglol:: )
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down