NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

After a Latina author's speech about navigating a predominantly white society, students burned her books

+3
'Wolfie
eddie
Ben Reilly
7 posters

Go down

After a Latina author's speech about navigating a predominantly white society, students burned her books Empty After a Latina author's speech about navigating a predominantly white society, students burned her books

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:54 pm

On Wednesday night, students at Georgia Southern University (GSU) ripped and burned copies of a Latina author’s book about a woman of color navigating life at a predominately white university.

The burning happened after Jennine Capó Crucet, author of Make Your Home Among Strangers and a professor at the University of Nebraska, spoke at the university about the book and her personal experiences. Make Your Home Among Strangers follows a young Cuban woman who has to balance the needs of her family with being a minority at a predominately white elite university.

Crucet’s book was assigned to incoming freshman at GSU who each go through a “first-year experience” course, and the university had invited her to speak about it at their campus. Several students who spoke with BuzzFeed on the condition of anonymity said attending the discussion was mandatory. GSU did not immediately respond to TIME’s request for clarification.

After reading from the book and sharing some personal anecdotes, Crucet took questions from the audience. She received a contentious question from a student who took issue with her opinions on white privilege.

“I noticed that you made a lot of generalizations about the majority of white people being privileged,” the student asked, according to GSU student newspaper The George-Anne. “What makes you believe that it’s okay to come to a college campus, like this, when we are supposed to be promoting diversity on this campus, which is what we’re taught. I don’t understand what the purpose of this was.”

https://time.com/5698850/jennine-crucet-book-burning-georgia-white-privilege/

You know, in the name of freedom of expression, which the right claims to value so much these days ...

Hard to imagine a more effective way of keeping her ideas from the public than literally burning her words.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

After a Latina author's speech about navigating a predominantly white society, students burned her books Empty Re: After a Latina author's speech about navigating a predominantly white society, students burned her books

Post by Guest Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:47 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
On Wednesday night, students at Georgia Southern University (GSU) ripped and burned copies of a Latina author’s book about a woman of color navigating life at a predominately white university.

The burning happened after Jennine Capó Crucet, author of Make Your Home Among Strangers and a professor at the University of Nebraska, spoke at the university about the book and her personal experiences. Make Your Home Among Strangers follows a young Cuban woman who has to balance the needs of her family with being a minority at a predominately white elite university.

Crucet’s book was assigned to incoming freshman at GSU who each go through a “first-year experience” course, and the university had invited her to speak about it at their campus. Several students who spoke with BuzzFeed on the condition of anonymity said attending the discussion was mandatory. GSU did not immediately respond to TIME’s request for clarification.

After reading from the book and sharing some personal anecdotes, Crucet took questions from the audience. She received a contentious question from a student who took issue with her opinions on white privilege.

“I noticed that you made a lot of generalizations about the majority of white people being privileged,” the student asked, according to GSU student newspaper The George-Anne. “What makes you believe that it’s okay to come to a college campus, like this, when we are supposed to be promoting diversity on this campus, which is what we’re taught. I don’t understand what the purpose of this was.”

https://time.com/5698850/jennine-crucet-book-burning-georgia-white-privilege/

You know, in the name of freedom of expression, which the right claims to value so much these days ...

Hard to imagine a more effective way of keeping her ideas from the public than literally burning her words.

Its disgusting behaviour by the students and I am surprised they are not being repremanded over this
I certainly can understand how some students will and do feel like being white now is seen as somehow wrong, but this is not the way to confront beliefs and experinces that other people go through. What should happen is open dialogue with the writer. Understand her experinces but also the students express their concerns, without this leading to antagonising and clearly later hate with the book burning.

Back to top Go down

After a Latina author's speech about navigating a predominantly white society, students burned her books Empty Re: After a Latina author's speech about navigating a predominantly white society, students burned her books

Post by eddie Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:24 am

Have we any way of knowing what the author said that antagonised the students?
Because I find I can’t comment on a half-story when I don’t know the full story, and what she said that antagonised these students, is the crux of the story for me.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:09 am

afro

I have to laugh at a lot of so-called "Latina" and "Latino" activists and agitators in the Americas who often label themselves as "black" on the basis of having one dark-skinned ancestor --  even though they themselves are often much "whiter" than me and some of my relo's...

Doesn't surprise me at all, to find yet another Latina agitator putting their foot in it, trying a bit of  "me too !" blarney, trying to hitch themselves to the American Negroes discrimination wagon..

As for the 'latino' and 'latina' labels, it often appears like they themselves often forget that the "latin" in their ethnicity comes from Spanish and Portuguese ancestry (i.e. country of origin, via 'Latin America' colonies..) --  and not from any "blacks" they have in there.
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:44 am

'Wolfie wrote:afro

I have to laugh at a lot of so-called "Latina" and "Latino" activists and agitators in the Americas who often label themselves as "black" on the basis of having one dark-skinned ancestor --  even though they themselves are often much "whiter" than me and some of my relo's...

Doesn't surprise me at all, to find yet another Latina agitator putting their foot in it, trying a bit of  "me too !" blarney, trying to hitch themselves to the American Negroes discrimination wagon..

As for the 'latino' and 'latina' labels, it often appears like they themselves often forget that the "latin" in their ethnicity comes from Spanish and Portuguese ancestry (i.e. country of origin, via 'Latin America' colonies..) --  and not from any "blacks" they have in there.

We often ran into these questions in school desegregation cases, particularly in the Southwest. The white power structure would tell them, why side with them, as you are more like us?

I would answer, instead of driving a wedge in between ethnic groups, try focusing on who makes them feel like second and third class citizens. It is the whites who try to hold back blacks, as well as Hispanics, and are responsible for defining and discriminating against both groups.

Color doesn't exist, until someone makes it significant. Whites started this. We wouldn't have any discrimination if it weren't for white people.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:58 am

Bullshit !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:10 pm

After a Latina author's speech about navigating a predominantly white society, students burned her books 477453_1

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:55 pm

nicko wrote:Bullshit !

Nicko, you need to grow up, educate yourself and join the REAL world.
Lurker
Lurker
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:51 pm

I know what the real world is son, I'v been in it a lot longer than you ,and seen more of it !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:54 pm

Latinos are discriminated against just as much as black people in America, if not more in some cases. Ever hear of the "papers please" law in Arizona? That allowed police officers to ask to see your paperwork proving you're a citizen on the basis of your apparent ethnicity.

And if you don't think anti-Latino hate drove Trump supporters' enthusiasm for walling off Mexico from the U.S., you're crazy.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:55 pm

Original Quill wrote:

We often ran into these questions in school desegregation cases, particularly in the Southwest.  The white power structure would tell them, why side with them, as you are more like us?

I would answer, instead of driving a wedge in between ethnic groups, try focusing on who makes them feel like second and third class citizens.  It is the whites who try to hold back blacks, as well as Hispanics, and are responsible for defining and discriminating against both groups.

Color doesn't exist, until someone makes it significant.  Whites started this.  We wouldn't have any discrimination if it weren't for white people.

People of all colors discriminate, that's ridiculous.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:36 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

We often ran into these questions in school desegregation cases, particularly in the Southwest.  The white power structure would tell them, why side with them, as you are more like us?

I would answer, instead of driving a wedge in between ethnic groups, try focusing on who makes them feel like second and third class citizens.  It is the whites who try to hold back blacks, as well as Hispanics, and are responsible for defining and discriminating against both groups.

Color doesn't exist, until someone makes it significant.  Whites started this.  We wouldn't have any discrimination if it weren't for white people.

Nonsense. Not until someone makes skin color an issue, does it even arise. We don't discriminate by eye color, or size of feet. I repeat: Color doesn't exist, until someone makes it significant.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:44 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Nonsense.  Not until someone makes skin color an issue, does it even arise.  We don't discriminate by eye color, or size of feet.  I repeat: Color doesn't exist, until someone makes it significant.

Color does exist, people discriminate because of color and because of many other reasons (gender, attractiveness or lack thereof, weight, etc.), and people of all colors do discriminate. I don't know what your school was like, but I have been called "honky," "white boy," etc. by boys and girls of other colors. Not a lot, but it did happen.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:28 am

Ben wrote:Color does exist...

But it is not important until others make if important. Color is just color, a fact with no significance. Blue, red and brown?

But as soon as you attach another significance--like racism--you get an entirely different meaning. Use you head Ben.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:59 am

Crucet described the question as “hostile,”

She was asked a question, and didn't like being questioned. Shit went downhill from there. Maybe she's not cut out for talking to people with a different opinion.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:00 am

And the woke term is Latinx.

Cool
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:59 am

Question for Ben, did you find much "color" problems in England ?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:16 pm

The students PROVED the book's point.
Lurker
Lurker
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:46 pm

Ben's gone to sleep,as he does when lefty insults are thrown around !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:15 am

nicko wrote:Question for Ben,  did you find much "color" problems in England ?

Not really, I did hear some racist stuff from a friend but he's Irish.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:19 am

nicko wrote:Ben's gone to sleep,as he does when lefty insults are thrown around !

"There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, / Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:22 am

And that underscores a point nobody else seems to get. America and the UK are different in important ways. And nobody here is more qualified than me to say that.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down