NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Muslim woman makes the case that face veils, head coverings are not required by Islam

4 posters

Go down

A Muslim woman makes the case that face veils, head coverings are not required by Islam Empty A Muslim woman makes the case that face veils, head coverings are not required by Islam

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:47 pm

Bit old, but since this topic never seems to die, I thought it would be good to share this nuanced view from a British Muslim woman:

I was raised as an observant Muslim in a British family. Women, I was taught, determine their own conduct — including their ‘veiling’. We’d cover our hair only if we freely chose to do so. That’s why I’m baffled by the notion that all good Muslim women should cover their hair or face. My entire family are puzzled by it too, as are millions like us. Not until recent years has the idea taken root that Muslim women are obliged by their faith to wear a veil.

It’s a sign, I think, not of assertive Islam, but of what happens when Islamists are tolerated by a western culture that’s absurdly anxious to avoid offence. This strange, unwitting collaboration between liberals and extremists has been going on for years. But at last there are signs that it is ending.

In response to cases brought by two veiled Muslim women from Belgium and France, the European Court of Justice has ruled that employers have the right to stop employees wearing visible religious symbols, including headscarves worn in the name of Islam. This ruling includes not only the burka and the niqab (already entirely banned from the public space by a number of European countries) but also the face-revealing hijab. The ruling goes two ways: if the company does tolerate religious symbols, then no employee can be asked to take them off.

In its ruling, the ECJ has made a secularist stand against Islamists who seek to dominate the public space. A secular public space allows me to practise my faith, as it allows others to observe theirs. As the Quran says (109:1-6): ‘To you your religion and to me, mine.’ Giving an employer the right to restrict the use of headscarves, in Britain or elsewhere, is good for every believer.

I’ve seen what happens when the public space is infringed upon by the religious. My medical career took me to Saudi Arabia, aged 31, where I was mandated by law to wear the hijab, covering all of my hair and neck. And with it the abbayah, a cloak covering my entire body from my neck to my ankles. For those two years, I became intimately acquainted with the cumbersome nature of forced veiling and its impracticality — even seeing it imposed upon my unconscious female patients. Where the veil is mandatory, a kind of oppression is implemented: an oppression that has absolutely no basis in Islam.

There’s nothing from the early Islamic period about what the khimar — or veil — should cover, whether face, body or hair. The Quran, in Sura 24:31, reminds Muslim women simply of the need to ‘draw…[it] over their bosoms’. One of the Prophet Mohammed’s wives is commanded to speak from behind a ‘hijab’ (Arabic for ‘curtain’) as a mark of high distinction (Quran Sura 33:53). But even though Aisha — one of the most eminent of the Prophet Mohammed’s wives and a great scholar of Islam — provided many details about the khimars, no record exists as to exactly how they were worn.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/03/the-right-to-ban-the-veil-is-good-news-for-everybody-including-Muslims/

I will say, that came as something of a surprise to me. But to say that veils or coverings for women has a basis in the Quran seems to be as unfair as to say that priestly garments are mandated by the Bible (which I know for a fact they are not).
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

A Muslim woman makes the case that face veils, head coverings are not required by Islam Empty Re: A Muslim woman makes the case that face veils, head coverings are not required by Islam

Post by Maddog Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:59 pm

My last GF was an Albanian Muslim. She found any kind of head covering to be idiotic in a Western country. She understood how it is part of certain cultures, but her family's belief centered around assimilating. They left Albania for a reason. Doesn't mean she didn't think dressing modestly in certain occasions wasn't prudent, but that's hardly a religious choice.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

A Muslim woman makes the case that face veils, head coverings are not required by Islam Empty Re: A Muslim woman makes the case that face veils, head coverings are not required by Islam

Post by Guest Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:03 pm

In recent times, the resurgence of the hijab along with various countries’ enforcement of it has led many to believe that Muslim women are required by their faith to wear the hijab. In this informative talk, novelist Samina Ali takes us on a journey back to Prophet Muhammad's time to reveal what the term “hijab” really means -- and it's not the Muslim woman's veil! So what does “hijab” actually mean, if not the veil, and how have fundamentalists conflated the term to deny women their rights? This surprising and unprecedented idea will not only challenge your assumptions about hijab but will change the way you see Muslim women.

Samina Ali is an award-winning author, activist and cultural commentator. Her debut novel, Madras on Rainy Days, won France’s prestigious Prix Premier Roman Etranger Award and was a finalist for the PEN/Hemingway Award in Fiction. Ali’s work is driven by her belief in personal narrative as a force for achieving women’s individual and political freedom and in harnessing the power of media for social transformation. She is the curator of the groundbreaking, critically acclaimed virtual exhibition, Muslima: Muslim Women’s Art & Voices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J5bDhMP9lQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:13 pm

I wish I could add pictures still haven't mastered it. There are many depictions of Muslim women from all sorts of regions, they don't dress as many do now in, as the above mentions totally impractical coverings. Some of North Africa seems to have favoured long dress with a lot of embroderie in a square section on the chest and round the cuffs, others wore baggy trousers and a blouse with a bolero top, sometimes adding a pill box hat with a wispy scarf attached to the hat and either hanging down her back or wound loosely round the neck, a similar costume to the last was worn in Afghanistan and what is now Pakistan, in rural areas more long dresses in towns and cities. Turkey and some eastern European countries women wear  long trousers that look like voluminous skirts, blouses and a head scarf just wound around the head. Women worked together in the fields with men, they congregated on the street or in the market and chatted, they interacted with men who were not their relatives, provided it was in the open, the photos show happy women, I saw a photo of a man and about eight women in a group photo recently, I could see the man plainly the eight woman all wore the burkha, not one looked different, what's the point of having your photo taken in such circumstances? I could go on but it'll be boring no doubt.
Going further back Muslim women were free to be what they wanted many great poets were female, one of the greatest teachers of the Islamic faith was a woman, this seeems to have been similar in just about all religions where eventually women are edged out of any such roles and relegated to second class citizens.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:21 pm

So it does seem that if you see a Muslim woman wearing a veil, or a head covering, it's not safe to assume that she's been forced to wear it.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:27 pm

It not safe to assume that she chooses to wear either.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:31 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:So it does seem that if you see a Muslim woman wearing a veil, or a head covering, it's not safe to assume that she's been forced to wear it.

For those claiming to choose to wear, are they really?
Its the belief, that they should wear, through coercion. As they are taught they will suffer in the after life if they do not.
Hence its the belief they are following, because those who claim to choose to wear, believe they have to wear.
You tell me whether that is really a choice to wear?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:36 pm

phildidge wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:So it does seem that if you see a Muslim woman wearing a veil, or a head covering, it's not safe to assume that she's been forced to wear it.

Its the belief, that they should wear, through coercion. As they are taught they will suffer in the after life if they do not.
Hence its the belief they are following, because those who claim to choose to wear, believe they have to wear.

You can never truly know what's in someone's heart, of course. But:

I was raised as an observant Muslim in a British family. Women, I was taught, determine their own conduct — including their ‘veiling’. We’d cover our hair only if we freely chose to do so. That’s why I’m baffled by the notion that all good Muslim women should cover their hair or face. My entire family are puzzled by it too, as are millions like us. Not until recent years has the idea taken root that Muslim women are obliged by their faith to wear a veil.

I would expect a woman raised as an observant Muslim to know whether her religion dictates wearing a veil, and yet she states the exact opposite.

Now, if you can cite me the part of the Quran that says, "Women, you don't have to cover your face in public, but if you don't, you'll be punished in the afterlife," I'll accept your premise.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:42 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
phildidge wrote:

I would expect a woman raised as an observant Muslim to know whether her religion dictates wearing a veil, and yet she states the exact opposite.

Now, if you can cite me the part of the Quran that says, "Women, you don't have to cover your face in public, but if you don't, you'll be punished in the afterlife," I'll accept your premise.

Because she believes she does not have to wear
Do you not notice the difference?
I dont have to cite any part of the Quran, as its not in the quran, but its certainly taught to Muslims, from very conservative families. In how they interpret passages from the Quran.

I tell you what. Tell any little girl they have to wear a wonder woman outfit for the rest of their lives and if they dont, they will suffer horrible in the after life. What do you think will then happen?

Hence my point that some women are unlucky to be born into certain families. Take Saudi Arabia, where its not even achoice on the belief, its compulasary. That is how it is taught to some Muslim girls.
They are basically indoctrinated, just as many religious people are, with a fear of what will happen to them in the next life if they do not

That is coercion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:52 pm

phildidge wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
phildidge wrote:

I dont have to cite any part of the Quran, as its not in the quran, but its certainly taught to Muslims, from very conservative families. In how they interpret passages from the Quran.

I tell you what. Tell any little girl they have to wear a wonder woman outfit for the rest of their lives and if they dont, they will suffer horrible in the after life. What do you think will then happen?

Hence my point that some women are unlucky to be born into certain families. Take Saudi Arabia, where its not even achoice on the belief, its compulasary. That is how it is taught to some Muslim girls.
They are basically indoctrinated, just as many religious people are, with a fear of what will happen to them in the next life if they do not

That is coercion

Of course some women are coerced into it, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying this woman knows the Quran and knows it's not in there, so it's not the religion that is to blame, but the conservative factions of Islam, as you say.

So unless you know how a woman was raised, and what she was taught about the veil, you have no way of knowing whether she was coerced into it or not.

You certainly can't logically make the blanket statement that the veil is tantamount to slavery, which you often do.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:59 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
phildidge wrote:

That is coercion

Of course some women are coerced into it, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying this woman knows the Quran and knows it's not in there, so it's not the religion that is to blame, but the conservative factions of Islam, as you say.

So unless you know how a woman was raised, and what she was taught about the veil, you have no way of knowing whether she was coerced into it or not.

You certainly can't logically make the blanket statement that the veil is tantamount to slavery, which you often do.

But the religion is being used to coerce the woman to wear and verses in the Quran and hadith are used to back this up. Then many women believe this to be what the message of islam portrays. So your answer is basic gibberish, as we know this to be the case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijab#In_Islamic_scripture

I canotn believe the bullshit I am reading from you which ignores how this is taught.

So again I will ask you. Why not the woman you claim to choose to wear, refuse to wear, until all Muslim forced to do so are stopped being forced?

The reason, is these Muslim women are taught it should be worn and it is a form of slavery to control women. That is a fact. As why else
would a Muslim women believe she should wear the Hijab?

Its blatantly obvious, as she believes, she would be sinning if she does not and fears retribution  for this in the after life

I mean seriously stop making up crap to defend poor beliefs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:02 am

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/03/the-right-to-ban-the-veil-is-good-news-for-everybody-including-Muslims/

This is from your own article, so what do you think obliged means Ben?

Seriously[/quote]

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:17 am

I tell you what Ben. The next time you meet a Muslim women who wears the veil . Ask her to prove to you its a choice. By going without wearing this for a day in public and see what response you get. As I doubt a single one will take up this challenge. The reason, they believe they have to wear and this is what you fail to grasp. Real choice is being able to take something on and off as that person pleases. When a person believes they have to wear, then its that religious dogma that is driving force behind Muslim women who wear the veil.,

Good night

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:23 am

You should watch Ben, because it proves what you are claiming is basically nonsense. It has people who wore the Hijab

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVpZ0FZc8SY

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:49 am

Ben should watch this, where a Muslim woman state clearly, why they are wearing the Hijab. Its best to watch this all but the main point is at 6 minutes 55. It yet again shows up Ben you have no idea what you are talking about. 

Seriously speaking about bad ideas, is not seeking to bash Muslims, but rightly being critical of bad ideas, that subjucate Muslim women. I know you come at this from a view not to bigoted towards Muslims, but being critical of the Hijab. Is not being bigoted towards Muslim, but the bad ideas that coerce Muslim women to wear. She even states clearly that Muslim women do not have freedom, and have to obey.  

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:02 am

Basketball

Indonesia has the largest Muslim population in the world (some 200+ million (over 90% of their population..)--  that's more than one-eighth of the total 1500+ million Muslims on the planet..).

Anybody who sees news footage or documentaries of that region will see a lot of bare-headed women, and a few only having simple scarves covering their hair..

Malaysia is also fairly similar, though it's fundi'/conservative elements have been gaining ground there..

Full-face coverings, full body coverings, female genital mutilation --  these were all local patriarchal power-play customs already embedded in certain regions before they were overrun by Islamic invaders, who then adopted these onerous customs into their own cultures.

Pretty easy for the authoritarian Islamists to then decree various customs to be central to their own teachings and 'Sharia' laws --  especially when Islam has no central system/order/authority to set any standards or rules, nor any qualifications or regulations for Imans, teachers, etc.
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down