NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Texas about tio ban Red Light cameras

+2
Ben Reilly
Maddog
6 posters

Go down

Texas about tio ban Red Light cameras Empty Texas about tio ban Red Light cameras

Post by Maddog Fri May 17, 2019 9:36 pm

Don't have a source, except a friend of mine working in Austin at the capitol. It's on the way to the Governor's desk.

A little more freedom, but a long way to go.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Texas about tio ban Red Light cameras Empty Re: Texas about tio ban Red Light cameras

Post by Ben Reilly Fri May 17, 2019 9:40 pm

I hope it passes, those things are not only bullshit for drivers, they're harmful as well.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Texas about tio ban Red Light cameras Empty Re: Texas about tio ban Red Light cameras

Post by Maddog Fri May 17, 2019 9:44 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:I hope it passes, those things are not only bullshit for drivers, they're harmful as well.

It passed the Senate. It just needs Abbot's signature.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat May 18, 2019 4:10 am

Well since we kicked them out, accidents and red light running leading to near misses had risen. Hmmmm I wonder why scratch
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat May 18, 2019 4:11 am

Ben Reilly wrote:I hope it passes, those things are not only bullshit for drivers, they're harmful as well.

The cameras are not harmful, stupid ass drivers are.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sat May 18, 2019 5:54 am

Cass wrote:Well since we kicked them out, accidents and red light running leading to near misses had risen. Hmmmm I wonder why scratch

Nah, can't think of anything Laughing

Full agree with your last post. It is ridiculous. I remember hearing an argument a while ago against speed cameras in the UK. It went something like this:

"Speed cameras actually make roads more dangerous because what happens is people just speed up more between the camera then slow down again when they know one is near."

I'm paraphrasing, but that was the gist.

As if THAT is any argument at all. It's still the driver being a prick in the end.

My dad endlessly goes on about how they are only designed to get money out of people, and how it's BS that they fine you for being 1-3 mph over the limit.

As I tell him, this is a BS complaint. Just go 1-3 mph slower and you won't be fined...

It is all just excuses.

In Thailand they have FAR fewer cameras. And the ones they have are ONLY on highways. Traffic laws are rarely enforced.

And guess what. You might not believe this, but Thailand is NUMBER ONE in the world for road accidents. Second is Libya, I think.

The correlation isn't hard to figure out.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat May 18, 2019 6:29 am

Eilzel wrote:
Cass wrote:Well since we kicked them out, accidents and red light running leading to near misses had risen. Hmmmm I wonder why scratch

Full agree with your last post. It is ridiculous. I remember hearing an argument a while ago against speed cameras in the UK. It went something like this:

"Speed cameras actually make roads more dangerous because what happens is people just speed up more between the camera then slow down again when they know one is near."

As if THAT is any argument at all. It's still the driver being a prick in the end.

My dad endlessly goes on about how they are only designed to get money out of people, and how it's BS that they fine you for being 1-3 mph over the limit.

As I tell him, this is a BS complaint. Just go 1-3 mph slower and you won't be fined...

It is all just excuses.

In Thailand they have FAR fewer cameras. And the ones they have are ONLY on highways. Traffic laws are rarely enforced.

And guess what. You might not believe this, but Thailand is NUMBER ONE in the world for road accidents. Second is Libya, I think.

Thailand number one? I’m SHOCKED.

Yes to everything you said. When I first moved over here I worked at the local municipal court (because no library jobs. It was a swell experience let me tell you). We had one idiot who got caught by the SAME camera 4 times on the SAME day. He tried to fight it in court. The judge and I had a very hard time not cracking up. If I had a dollar for every time I heard all of the excuses I would be writing this from Hawaii. Maybe Belize. Or France.

Anyhoos. Drive the speed limit or under, stop correctly at red lights and stop signs, follow all the traffic laws and you won’t get a ticket. It really is that simple. People only tend to follow rules if the consequences for not doing so hit them
In the pocket, or take away a privilege (I mean isn’t that how we are supposed to teach our children).

I’ve had one ticket 2 years ago in 33 years of driving and I was going downhill, sneezed, foot went down on accelerator and I was going over. When he stopped me, I said I’m so sorry, never has happened before but yes I did it. He gave me a ticket that cost the least amount and no points because I was upfront and honest and apologized and he could see my driving record when he ran my license.

If someone slams on their breaks in front of you, you should be driving at least 3 car lengths away to avoid crashing into the back of them but people don’t do that.

The fallacy that people spout when they get caught, that the cameras are “fixed” or are “not calibrated correctly” is just that. A fallacy.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat May 18, 2019 8:12 am

Cass wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

It is all just excuses.

Yes to everything you said. When I first moved over here I worked at the local municipal court (because no library jobs. It was a swell experience let me tell you). We had one idiot who got caught by the SAME camera 4 times on the SAME day. He tried to fight it in court. The judge and I had a very hard time not cracking up. If I had a dollar for every time I heard all of the excuses I would be writing this from Hawaii. Maybe Belize. Or France.

Anyhoos. Drive the speed limit or under, stop correctly at red lights and stop signs, follow all the traffic laws and you won’t get a ticket. It really is that simple. People only tend to follow rules if the consequences for not doing so hit them
In the pocket, or take away a privilege (I mean isn’t that how we are supposed to teach our children).

I’ve had one ticket 2 years ago in 33 years of driving and I was going downhill, sneezed, foot went down on accelerator and I was going over. When he stopped me, I said I’m so sorry, never has happened before but yes I did it. He gave me a ticket that cost the least amount and no points because I was upfront and honest and apologized and he could see my driving record when he ran my license.

If someone slams on their breaks in front of you, you should be driving at least 3 car lengths away to avoid crashing into the back of them but people don’t do that.

The fallacy that people spout when they get caught, that the cameras are “fixed” or are “not calibrated correctly” is just that. A fallacy.

Exactly! There have been accidents where someone goes into the back of another car because it suddenly slowed down. How many times do people have to be told to keep their distance? I actually had to open my window and gesticulate at a woman who was behind me because she was right up my bumper the whole time. I keep my distance but then often another driver overtakes and fills in the gap so I have to drop back again.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sat May 18, 2019 9:11 am

Cass wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

It is all just excuses.

Right, so many simple rules to follow. You'd think it was asking the earth with some people Laughing
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 18, 2019 2:26 pm

Are you sure?

https://bigthink.com/want-less-car-accidents-get-rid-of-traffic-signals-road-signs

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-06-traffic-light-controlled-intersections-fatal-accidents.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat May 18, 2019 2:38 pm

phildidge wrote:

Are you sure?

https://bigthink.com/want-less-car-accidents-get-rid-of-traffic-signals-road-signs

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-06-traffic-light-controlled-intersections-fatal-accidents.html

Red light cameras dramatically increase rear-end collisions. A yellow light did not used to mean slam on your brakes and stop as quickly as you possibly can. With red light cameras, that's what a yellow light turned into.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat May 18, 2019 2:45 pm

In a study I co-authored with economist Paul J. Fisher, we examined all police-recorded traffic accidents for three large Texas cities over a 12-year period – hundreds of thousands of accidents. We found no evidence that red light cameras improve public safety. They don’t reduce the total number of vehicle accidents, the total number of individuals injured in accidents or the total number of incapacitating injuries that involve ambulance transport to a hospital.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/red-light-cameras-may-not-make-streets-safer/?redirect=1

Any questions

Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat May 18, 2019 3:47 pm

phildidge wrote:

Are you sure?

First one behind a paywall.

Second is dealing with traffic lights vs red light cameras.

It’s down to people not paying attention.

And yes my town has seen a significant increase in the areas where the cameras were and then taken out.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat May 18, 2019 4:03 pm

Maddog wrote:In a study I co-authored with economist Paul J. Fisher, we examined all police-recorded traffic accidents for three large Texas cities over a 12-year period – hundreds of thousands of accidents. We found no evidence that red light cameras improve public safety. They don’t reduce the total number of vehicle accidents, the total number of individuals injured in accidents or the total number of incapacitating injuries that involve ambulance transport to a hospital.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/red-light-cameras-may-not-make-streets-safer/?redirect=1

Any questions  

Were you the co-author?

No questions but lots of comments but it’s Mr. C’s birthday today and it’s Saturday which means errands so back later or tomorrow Cool
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat May 18, 2019 4:36 pm

I'm for cameras everywhere. Right now, we are in a crisis of truth vs. lies...and to a lesser extent, spin vs. truth.

The more cameras there are out there, the less bullshite.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat May 18, 2019 4:40 pm

Cass wrote:
Maddog wrote:In a study I co-authored with economist Paul J. Fisher, we examined all police-recorded traffic accidents for three large Texas cities over a 12-year period – hundreds of thousands of accidents. We found no evidence that red light cameras improve public safety. They don’t reduce the total number of vehicle accidents, the total number of individuals injured in accidents or the total number of incapacitating injuries that involve ambulance transport to a hospital.

Any questions  

Were you the co-author?

No questions but lots of comments but it’s Mr. C’s birthday today and it’s Saturday which means errands so back later or tomorrow Cool

Someone far more intelligent than I.

Do you think Scientific Ameican would let me write for them?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down