NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'I can't face life without you': Last text of grandfather, 62, who 'killed himself with morphine overdose' after being dumped for failing Jeremy Kyle lie detector test - as ITV takes show off air

+7
Cass
JulesV
Tommy Monk
Syl
Andy
Vintage
HoratioTarr
11 posters

Go down

'I can't face life without you': Last text of grandfather, 62, who 'killed himself with morphine overdose' after being dumped for failing Jeremy Kyle lie detector test - as ITV takes show off air Empty 'I can't face life without you': Last text of grandfather, 62, who 'killed himself with morphine overdose' after being dumped for failing Jeremy Kyle lie detector test - as ITV takes show off air

Post by HoratioTarr Tue May 14, 2019 7:41 am

A 62-year-old grandfather was found dead days after being 'humiliated and traumatised' on The Jeremy Kyle Show when he failed a lie detector test on the programme, his landlady has revealed.

Steven Dymond died in a suspected suicide a week after filming an episode of the controversial ITV daytime chat show, which he had gone on with his on-and-off girlfriend Jane Callaghan.

He is said to have been left devastated and feeling suicidal after being confronted in the TV studio at MediaCity in Salford about allegations of infidelity.

Mr Dymond, who had been living in Portsmouth, Hampshire, was also asked to sit a lie detector test, a regular feature of the show. According to friends, he was labelled a liar after he failed the test.

The guest, who had just found out he was a grandfather, called his friends in tears after filming the show, which had been due to air yesterday.

In a dramatic move, ITV halted the scheduled broadcast, suspended filming of the show and removed all past episodes from its catch-up website. MPs called for the show, on air since 2005, to be scrapped because it exploited vulnerable people.

Last night Mr Dymond's tearful ex-partner Miss Callaghan recounted how she told him to 'get his stuff and go' when they returned to their home.

Miss Callaghan said: 'I know we split up a week ago but we were together for two years. He was still my fiancé. I still loved him. As much as he was a pig to me I still loved him.

'We got engaged Christmas Day 2017. He was crying, the love was real. He was the most generous and loving person.

'He was quietly struggling, and we didn't know at the time. He cheated on me, I know he did. I can't forgive but I just want him to be alive.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7025005/Pictured-Grandfather-62-killed-week-humiliated-Jeremy-Kyle.html
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

'I can't face life without you': Last text of grandfather, 62, who 'killed himself with morphine overdose' after being dumped for failing Jeremy Kyle lie detector test - as ITV takes show off air Empty Re: 'I can't face life without you': Last text of grandfather, 62, who 'killed himself with morphine overdose' after being dumped for failing Jeremy Kyle lie detector test - as ITV takes show off air

Post by HoratioTarr Tue May 14, 2019 7:42 am

Who's to say he wouldn't have killed himself regardless of going on the show or not. Though it most likely aggravated things. I think when someone is suicidal, or have that tendency, they'll do it anyway. The show probably just hastened the inevitable.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

'I can't face life without you': Last text of grandfather, 62, who 'killed himself with morphine overdose' after being dumped for failing Jeremy Kyle lie detector test - as ITV takes show off air Empty Re: 'I can't face life without you': Last text of grandfather, 62, who 'killed himself with morphine overdose' after being dumped for failing Jeremy Kyle lie detector test - as ITV takes show off air

Post by Vintage Tue May 14, 2019 9:25 am

Why go on such a show in the first place.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Tue May 14, 2019 10:22 am

So much for the show's fantastic aftercare.
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue May 14, 2019 12:24 pm

This man obviously had mental problems before he appeared on the show, it was he who wrote to the producers and offered to be on TV to take a lie detector test, no one coerced him into appearing.

However, the show is just an arena to make other people feel superior, they laugh and jeer at the people on stage, Jeremy Kyle, cowardly little hypocrite that he is, sits as judge while jury (audience) belittle and laugh at the ones on trial ...its sickening to watch and brings out the worst in people.

I hope it's axed.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue May 14, 2019 12:35 pm

He didn't have to go on the show... that was his choice... as was his choice to cheat on his fiance... and was his choice to take the morphine that killed him...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Tue May 14, 2019 12:56 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:Who's to say he wouldn't have killed himself regardless of going on the show or not. Though it most likely aggravated things. I think when someone is suicidal, or have that tendency, they'll do it anyway. The show probably just hastened the inevitable.

Yes adults are responsible for their own actions. Why scapegoat JK?
JK is not responsible for what happens in society, he merely holds up a mirror to society.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue May 14, 2019 5:16 pm

Jules wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:Who's to say he wouldn't have killed himself regardless of going on the show or not.   Though it most likely aggravated things.   I think when someone is suicidal, or have that tendency, they'll do it anyway.  The show probably just hastened the inevitable.

JK is not responsible for what happens in society, he merely holds up a mirror to society.

True but why do this in the name of entertainment? Why do people like to watch other people airing their dirty laundry or seeing people do humiliating things (reality tv) as fun? Why do people want to sit in judgement over others all the time, because basically that’s what it boils down too.

I just don’t understand it.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Tue May 14, 2019 5:42 pm

Cass wrote:
Jules wrote:

True but why do this in the name of entertainment? Why do people like to watch other people airing their dirty laundry or seeing people do humiliating things (reality tv) as fun? Why do people want to sit in judgement over others all the time, because basically that’s what it boils down too.

Hiya Cass.  Surprised  Personally I'd rather gouge my own eyes out than watch a minute of the JK show.

But I don't like the way he is being scapegoated for this. Scapegoating is rife in every sphere of life - just look at the thoroughly dishonest way politicians try to garner support. 

Maybe this sad incident will become the lightning rod for a wider public discussion - and these sorts of shows will be toned down. But I doubt they will ever be scrapped altogether.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue May 14, 2019 6:03 pm

There are a lot of people who watch because they identify with the issues that are raised on the show... and cos they have fuck all else to do during the day...

The show doesn't force anyone to go on it...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue May 14, 2019 6:12 pm

Cass wrote:
Jules wrote:

I agree 100% with you about his audience, it's cheap and nasty entertainment, the audience boo and jeer because it makes them feel superior in some way.
Jeremy Kyle is a hypocrite of the highest order, judging others yet his own life has been filled with cheating, gambling, one wife even reported he had stolen money off her, his actions have probably caused as much unhappiness to others as anyone he has on the show to lord over.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue May 14, 2019 6:14 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

There are a lot of people who watch because they identify with the issues that are raised on the show... and cos they have fuck all else to do during the day...

Thats true, sadly, many people want their 5 minutes of fame, and they dont mind how ridiculous they appear in order to get it.
Same with the Jerry Springer show, which is 10 times worse than Kyles.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue May 14, 2019 6:25 pm

The show has brought together countless lost relatives, and united children with parents who had been denied knowledge of their offspring... the show has also helped countless desperate drug addicts into rehab programs that each cost the show tens of thousands of £... the show has also helped countless people get the truth and resolve major issues in their lives and to then be able to move on and get on with the rest of their lives...!

The show has also done huge amounts of charitable work and helped countless numbers of people with illness/disabilities etc...!

Yes it is true that Kyle has had a big problem with gambling addiction... so in a way, he is in a position to relate to others, with various other addiction problems, on an equal level... as one who knows what it's like...!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue May 14, 2019 6:34 pm

Well I dont make a habit of watching it, I have seen 5 minutes here and there over the years, and it's always the same format. Cheating spouses, lie detector tests that usually fail, a baying audience, and an incredibly pompous hypocritical host.

I did used to listen to a late night talk show he hosted many years ago and he would invite people to phone in with problems, he was a judgmental prat back then too as I recall.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed May 15, 2019 5:15 am

Tommy Monk wrote:

No they don’t but if they only stuck to doing the good stuff instead of the bad then it would be fine, but they wouldn’t get the ratings would they?
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed May 15, 2019 5:16 am

Jules wrote:
Cass wrote:

Hiya Cass.  Surprised  Personally I'd rather gouge my own eyes out than watch a minute of the JK show.

But I don't like the way he is being scapegoated for this. Scapegoating is rife in every sphere of life - just look at the thoroughly dishonest way politicians try to garner support. 

Maybe this sad incident will become the lightning rod for a wider public discussion - and these sorts of shows will be toned down. But I doubt they will ever be scrapped altogether.

Hiya

No I don’t believe he is to blame, but if rubbish like this wasn’t on then tragedies like this may not happen. It’s just too tacky for words.

Syl there’s so many more now but yeah Jerry Springer started all this crap. He has a lot to answer for.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Wed May 15, 2019 2:59 pm

Why people enjoy watching such rubbish as the JK kind of shows and the awful reality ones where people are pitted against each other and the point seems to be to humiliate everyone you can, Love Island and that kind of stuff, is totally beyond me, seen one you've seen them all. Big Brother eventually came down to will they won't they have sex on tv, the human race is devolving.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed May 15, 2019 6:03 pm

Vintage wrote:Why people enjoy watching such rubbish as the JK kind of shows and the awful reality ones where people are pitted against each other and the point seems to be to humiliate everyone you can, Love Island and that kind of stuff, is totally beyond me, seen one you've seen them all. Big Brother eventually came down to will they won't they have sex on tv, the human race is devolving.

It's odd the way society has changed so much. People dont seem to mind living their lives in a goldfish bowl.
Apart from the kind of rubbish TV programmes where dirty linen is washed out in public,  even day to day life is lived for the benefit of others....hence the way some people are glued to their phones, posting their every move on face book, Twitter, various social media sites, craving approval from complete strangers.

Everyone thinks they are qualified to comment on everyone elses lives, and their comments make others feel valued or diminished......it's a very strange way to live a life imo.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed May 15, 2019 8:27 pm

Jules wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:Who's to say he wouldn't have killed himself regardless of going on the show or not.   Though it most likely aggravated things.   I think when someone is suicidal, or have that tendency, they'll do it anyway.  The show probably just hastened the inevitable.

I agree Jules.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed May 15, 2019 10:46 pm

'I can't face life without you': Last text of grandfather, 62, who 'killed himself with morphine overdose' after being dumped for failing Jeremy Kyle lie detector test - as ITV takes show off air 6558e010
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed May 15, 2019 11:49 pm

Syl wrote:
Vintage wrote:Why people enjoy watching such rubbish as the JK kind of shows and the awful reality ones where people are pitted against each other and the point seems to be to humiliate everyone you can, Love Island and that kind of stuff, is totally beyond me, seen one you've seen them all. Big Brother eventually came down to will they won't they have sex on tv, the human race is devolving.

It's odd the way society has changed so much. People dont seem to mind living their lives in a goldfish bowl.
Apart from the kind of rubbish TV programmes where dirty linen is washed out in public,  even day to day life is lived for the benefit of others....hence the way some people are glued to their phones, posting their every move on face book, Twitter, various social media sites, craving approval from complete strangers.

Everyone thinks they are qualified to comment on everyone elses lives, and their comments make others feel valued or diminished......it's a very strange way to live a life imo.

Isn't that just 'same shit, different social media platform'...?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu May 16, 2019 1:53 am

eddie wrote:'I can't face life without you': Last text of grandfather, 62, who 'killed himself with morphine overdose' after being dumped for failing Jeremy Kyle lie detector test - as ITV takes show off air 6558e010

I was on hiatus when this happened but I thought exactly the same then as I do now.

It’s faked and forced and not entertainment.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Thu May 16, 2019 10:50 am

It's kind of sickening seeing the media give tongue like a hound in the field over all this. Pointing the finger. The outrage. Etc etc. When the media are equally if not more so, renowned for hounding people, literally to their deaths.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu May 16, 2019 12:36 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Syl wrote:

Isn't that just 'same shit, different social media platform'...?

Yes it is, it's a very unhealthy way to live.

The Jeremy Kyle show has been axed, so that's a good start....people need to be weened off this goldfish bowl existence.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Fri May 17, 2019 7:17 pm

People choose to go on the show and air their grievances and resolve issues in what is a safe and controlled environment, they do this with the full knowledge of what the show is all about, and the viewing figures show clearly that there are a huge number of people out there in the UK who like watching the show and are interested in the issues featured on it...!

I think it's a little bit snobby and patronising to look down at the people who go on the show and/or watch the show etc, and to try to get the show banned because of your dislike of it, when all you have to do is to not watch the show if you don't like it... but leave it alone for the huge numbers who do like it...!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat May 18, 2019 4:08 am

Tommy Monk wrote:

People choose to go on the show and air their grievances and resolve issues in what is a safe and controlled environment, they do this with the full knowledge of what the show is all about, and the viewing figures show clearly that there are a huge number of people out there in the UK who like watching the show and are interested in the issues featured on it...!

I think it's a little bit snobby and patronising to look down at the people who go on the show and/or watch the show etc, and to try to get the show banned because of your dislike of it, when all you have to do is to not watch the show if you don't like it... but leave it alone for the huge numbers who do like it...!

I’m not being a snob. I hate seeing people air their dirty laundry for 15 minutes of fame. That’s all this is.

Have a read of this
Carole Malone: 'Shows like Jeremy Kyle are exploitation in purest form'

Hmmm the link won’t post. It’s on Sky News.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sat May 18, 2019 9:45 am

Let's face it, you never ever see anyone with any education or intelligence on the JK show. It's a show that exploits thicko trailer trash types too dense to see they're being manipulated. And for this alone, yes, the show should hang its head in shame. The plethora of legging and Ugg clad obese harpies, and drug and drink addled men screeching at each other to that ghastly guitar riff was just not entertaining for anyone with half a brain.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat May 18, 2019 10:07 am

Why are the women who go on that show always so fat and loud?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat May 18, 2019 1:54 pm

Cass wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

I’m not being a snob. I hate seeing people air their dirty laundry for 15 minutes of fame. That’s all this is.

Have a read of this

Then don't watch it... simple!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat May 18, 2019 2:01 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:Let's face it, you never ever see anyone with any education or intelligence on the JK show.  It's a show that exploits thicko trailer trash types too dense to see they're being manipulated.   And for this alone, yes, the show should hang its head in shame.   The plethora of legging and Ugg clad obese harpies, and drug and drink addled men screeching at each other to that ghastly guitar riff was just not entertaining for anyone with half a brain.

That is a very snobby and patronising attitude to have against other people...

I'm sure there are loads of things that you like on TV that plenty of others think are stupid or 'just not entertaining for anyone with half a brain'...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat May 18, 2019 4:07 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Cass wrote:

Have a read of this

I don’t. But I do not see how people’s pain and suffering and private matters or being put into those situations on television is entertainment.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sat May 18, 2019 4:48 pm

I admit I can be a bit snobbish about tv programmes, there are many I wouldn't watch if you paid me but I have to agree with Cass these kinds of programmes are no where near what passes for entertainment and shouldn't be.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat May 18, 2019 10:53 pm

Cass wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

I don’t. But I do not see how people’s pain and suffering and private matters or being put into those situations on television is entertainment.

But... wouldn't you agree that the vast majority of what is on TV or in films or in books is essentially about other people, and their private matters and pain and suffering etc...?

We have wall to wall soap operas, films etc which centre on other peoples lives and experiences... and books are telling stories solely about other peoples lives...

I don't see much difference except for the difference in platform and style... still people watching the dramas of other people... and interested/entertained by it...!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat May 18, 2019 10:58 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Cass wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

But... wouldn't you agree that the vast majority of what is on TV or in films or in books is essentially about other people, and their private matters and pain and suffering etc...?

We have wall to wall soap operas, films etc which centre on other peoples lives and experiences... and books are telling stories solely about other peoples lives...

I don't see much difference except for the difference in platform and style... still people watching the dramas of other people... and interested/entertained by it...!

I don't know what you mean by the films and books you're talking about, but you do realize that soap operas are fictional, don't you?

Are you arguing that made-up characters are being exploited?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat May 18, 2019 11:26 pm

No... I'm saying that regardless of being fiction or factual... most of stuff on tv/film/books is centred on other peoples lives etc... and all have an audience who find it "entertaining"...!

While for me, soap operas especially, I find to be particularly awful, loads of people arguing and scheming and in many cases up to serious criminal activities, which is all broadcast to the masses as being a form of "normal", and i personally see these soaps as only being entertainment for people with half a brain...

Maybe all shows that some people don't like should be banned...!?

But then the TV screens wouldn't be showing anything at all...

So... maybe people should just not watch the shit that they don't like... and leave everyone else to do what they want instead of calling for things they don't like to be banned...!?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sat May 18, 2019 11:29 pm

IT's rather sad then that so many choose to watch other peoples misfortune and the humiliation in love island type programmes. Doesn't say much for the great British public does it?

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun May 19, 2019 6:46 am

There’s a very big difference between real life and fiction. Yes fiction can be based on actual people and events, but essentially it is not real.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun May 19, 2019 10:05 am

It's all still entertainment by looking into other peoples lives...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun May 19, 2019 5:06 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

It's all still entertainment by looking into other peoples lives...

The problem is people are enjoying seeing others suffer and humiliated. I bet ratings on these kind of shows would soar even higher if the audience could give a thumbs up or down....down being they were killed live on TV.

A bit like modern day gladiators.....you could shoot them instead of bringing the lions in ….such fun. Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun May 19, 2019 5:50 pm

'I can't face life without you': Last text of grandfather, 62, who 'killed himself with morphine overdose' after being dumped for failing Jeremy Kyle lie detector test - as ITV takes show off air Schadenfreude

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun May 19, 2019 6:07 pm

Exactly that.../\ (yep, I googled) Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down