NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Men becoming "increasing victims" of coercive control, legal experts claim

Go down

Men becoming "increasing victims" of coercive control, legal experts claim Empty Men becoming "increasing victims" of coercive control, legal experts claim

Post by Guest Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:26 am

Increasing numbers of men are becoming victims of coercive control relationships as their partners threaten to restrict access to children, legal experts claim.

The growing trend has been reported among lawyers who said they are seeing more and more cases of male clients who have become entangled in “unhealthy” coercive control relationships.

Coercive control - a pattern of behaviour which seeks to strip the victim of their liberty and sense of self - is usually associated with female victims. It became illegal to subject someone to coercive control in December 2015 following landmark legislation which paved the way for new charges to be brought where there is evidence of such behaviour in domestic abuse cases.

However male survivors and lawyers said that less social stigma surrounding men who speak out, combined with increasing numbers of cases where women threaten to take full custody of children, has led to rising numbers of cases with male victims.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/03/09/men-becoming-increasing-victims-coercive-control-legal-experts/

Back to top Go down

Men becoming "increasing victims" of coercive control, legal experts claim Empty Re: Men becoming "increasing victims" of coercive control, legal experts claim

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:57 am

It's not a new thing really. I wonder if views will change about women being the best at looking after young children. After all, gay men can adopt these days, so it has to be assumed that they are just as capable as women.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Men becoming "increasing victims" of coercive control, legal experts claim Empty Re: Men becoming "increasing victims" of coercive control, legal experts claim

Post by Guest Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:59 am

Raggamuffin wrote:It's not a new thing really. I wonder if views will change about women being the best at looking after young children. After all, gay men can adopt these days, so it has to be assumed that they are just as capable as women.

Its an interesting view point Rags

I fail to see why many today cannot have joint custody.

It may also help more men take time out to raise their children, as women do with work

Share the responsibility

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:11 am

Thor wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:It's not a new thing really. I wonder if views will change about women being the best at looking after young children. After all, gay men can adopt these days, so it has to be assumed that they are just as capable as women.

It may also help more men take time out to raise their children, as women do with work

Share the responsibility

I think the problem is that the default view is still that women should have custody of children and that men have visiting rights. I think the men themselves take this view as well. That's fine if they agree, but as soon as a woman decides to be awkward about it the courts have to get involved, and that can take a long time and be costly. There needs to be a simpler way to sort it out so that women cannot do this to men.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:14 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thor wrote:

Share the responsibility

I think the problem is that the default view is still that women should have custody of children and that men have visiting rights. I think the men themselves take this view as well. That's fine if they agree, but as soon as a woman decides to be awkward about it the courts have to get involved, and that can take a long time and be costly. There needs to be a simpler way to sort it out so that women cannot do this to men.

I completely agree

I think a number of men are not happy about the arrangement but comply for the sake of the kids

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down