NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Political Correctness vs. Stand-Up Comedy

+6
Fred Moletrousers
'Wolfie
Victorismyhero
Eilzel
nicko
veya_victaous
10 posters

Go down

Political Correctness vs. Stand-Up Comedy Empty Political Correctness vs. Stand-Up Comedy

Post by Guest Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:25 am

Back to top Go down

Political Correctness vs. Stand-Up Comedy Empty Re: Political Correctness vs. Stand-Up Comedy

Post by veya_victaous Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:10 pm

the only reason a Comedian Whinges about PC is because the comedian is Shit 
if they had enough Skill to legitimately perform the art of comedy they wouldn't have any issues.

like most of the racist whinging it comes down the fact the Whinger is simply a very low quality human that acts like a snowflake when the fact they are under the minimum quality required for success is made apparent.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Political Correctness vs. Stand-Up Comedy Empty Re: Political Correctness vs. Stand-Up Comedy

Post by nicko Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:41 am

Apart from a very, very few , "comedians" are a dying breed. Most today rely on smut, swearing etc, and it isn't even funny.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:09 am

nicko wrote:Apart from a very, very few , "comedians" are a dying breed.  Most today rely on smut, swearing etc, and it isn't even funny.  

Comedy is hugely subjective Nicko, and I disagree with you.

I find a lot of old comedians to be utterly crap, or at least not to my tastes (Chubby Brown, Jim Davidson, even the late Tommy Cooper, honestly).

Whereas I find Ricky Gervais, Peter Kay, Jack Whitehall, Jon Richardson, Jimmy Carr and Michael McIntyre absolutely hilarious.

As far as being PC goes: I'd say that Gervais, Carr and Richardson all make un-PC jokes, Carr and Gervais practically build their sketches on that fact, are are GREAT for it!

Meanwhile, Richardson, Kay, Whitehall and McIntyre are almost never offensive with their humour and are all JUST AS funny as the others.

I won't go as far as to say being unPC to be funny is lazy; BUT if a comedian can ONLY find humour in the offensive then they really are limited in their abilities. Fortunately, all those I listed are just as funny when being unPC as when they are.

Point is, comedy is alive and kicking in the UK, and imo BETTER than ever before. And anyone complaining it isn't is likely just blinded by wistful nostalgia.

Last edited by Eilzel on Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:34 am

Having watched the clip, I certainly do NOT think anyone should be given forms on what comedy one can or cannot perform.

I think you can being funny without being unPC, but you should NOT be forced to be unPC by killjoys.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:14 am

That's just your opinion Les, others may disagree. Have you heard of Ken Dodd ? don't know of any other comedian who could go on for 3 hours without a swear word or repeating himself once.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:15 am

PS, do you find Russell Brand funny ?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:35 am

nicko wrote:That's just your opinion Les, others may disagree.  Have you heard of Ken Dodd   ?    don't know of any other comedian who could go on for 3 hours without a swear word or repeating himself once.

To be fair, my post was a response to you saying:

"Apart from a very, very few , "comedians" are a dying breed. Most today rely on smut, swearing etc, and it isn't even funny."

This is also an opinion, right?

I do not think comedians are a dying breed, nor do MILLIONS of others, thousands of who pay huge amounts to see them at indoor arenas throughout the country Smile

And yes, Russell Brand is very funny imo Smile

Are there any comedians you find funny today?
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:03 am

Yes you ! Laughing Sorry les I couldn't help it, your ok mate !
It must be an Age thing, I'll watch repeats of Les Dawson , Benny Hill, Dave Allen etc. But Russell Brand ? how the hell can you find him funny ?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:15 am

nicko wrote:Yes you !   Laughing Sorry les I couldn't help it,    your ok mate  !
          It must be an Age thing, I'll watch repeats of Les Dawson , Benny Hill, Dave Allen  etc. But Russell Brand ? how the hell can you find him funny ?

Yeah, generational I imagine. I dare say in 20 years I'll be sneering at whatever young people will find funny - I already do it with music! I hate modern music, and see the 80s -early 00s as a kind of golden era of music which went downhill around 2005 lol

You don't find Jimmy Carr or Peter Kay absolutely hilarious? (Tbf, Peter Kay might only be relatable to us Northerners, though he did sell out the O2 arena!)
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:42 am

how anyone can find modern "comedians" or fro that matter modern sit coms in anyway fun I dont know....the lefty younger generations must be very easily amused, I mean none of its is exactly clever humor and relies purely on the ridiculous rather than the humorous. give me frankie howerd with his innuendo, ALF with his OTT "poor me" ways and then It aint half hot mum, to the manor born and of course dads army........Oh and we must not, of course forget .....Monty python....

Last edited by Lord Foul on Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:43 am

and not one of todays comedians can hold a candle to the likes of the two ronnies
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:49 am

Lord Foul wrote:and not one of todays comedians can hold a candle to the likes of the two ronnies

Hahaha!

Vic now has new meaning Victor Meldrew Razz

Ricky Gervais is an absolute genius, both in stand up and his sitcoms. Likewise Peter Kay. Gavin and Stacey is one of the best shows in recent years and James Corden is a limitless talent.

You just don't appreciate quality comedy.
Back in the day it was all slap stack and cheap gags. A lot of todays comedians are deeply self-deprecating and laugh at all aspects of life.

Not that it needs explaining, but you might want to take off the nostalgia glasses (and headphones). Wink
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:53 pm

cyclops

Ye olde Lord Foul is probably tucked up in bed, well before James Corden appears on telly...

Early to bed, and early to rise..

Sleep
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:47 pm

Got admit I did giggle at Peter Kay some times. Vic, no one has ever beaten FORK HANDLES !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:40 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:and not one of todays comedians can hold a candle to the likes of the two ronnies

Hahaha!

Ricky Gervais is an absolute genius, both in stand up and his sitcoms. Likewise Peter Kay. Gavin and Stacey is one of the best shows in recent years and James Corden is a limitless talent.

Back in the day it was all slap stack and cheap gags. A lot of todays comedians are deeply self-deprecating and laugh at all aspects of life.

Not that it needs explaining, but you might want to take off the nostalgia glasses (and headphones). Wink

Surely, "quality comedy", like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder?

I find myself very much in agreement with much of what Vic posted: How on earth some of today's so-called "genius" stand-up comedians can get away with walking onto a stage, saying something no more erudite than "fuck off" and then basking in the glory of rapturous applause and whoops of joy from their studio audience escapes me.

Maybe it is because so many of the TV studio audiences at recording sessions are carefully selected and invited B-list "celebrities" themselves.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:21 pm

That's me firmly in the old fogey category then.
The current crop of comedians seem to all cross and re cross the stage shouting, swearing and sweating, the timing in situation comedies is just not right.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:56 pm

I like a lot of current comedians...

Mickey flannigan
Lee Mack
Simon Evans
Sarah millican
Frankie Boyle

To name a few...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:00 pm

Edds and I watched "Humanity" by Gervais the other night, it's fantastic. She's also showed me Flannigan and Michael McIntyre, both of whom I liked.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:04 pm

And Tim Vine... Milton Jones... Sean lock... Stewart francis...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:05 pm

I love on the edge comedy, the type where people say it just how it is. The more outspoken someone is, the better.
Do I care whether people are offended? Hell no. It’s a JOKE!!!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:27 am

This idea all modern comedians just swear for laughs clearly shows some of you oldies (well, Vic and Lord Ed at least lol) have not watched a lot of it.

I don't think McIntyre swears at all in his act (could be wrong). Kay doesn't much either. In fact the majority of those I mentioned do not build jokes around swearing.

Chubby Brown on the other hand... (I consider him 'old' and cometely unfunny).

Gervais, Richardson and Whitehall in particular are genius in how the string together hilarious stories. Nothing cheap or shouty about it Smile
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:52 am

Eilzel wrote:This idea all modern comedians just swear for laughs clearly shows some of you oldies (well, Vic and Lord Ed at least lol) have not watched a lot of it.

I don't think McIntyre swears at all in his act (could be wrong). Kay doesn't much either. In fact the majority of those I mentioned do not build jokes around swearing.

Chubby Brown on the other hand... (I consider him 'old' and cometely unfunny).

Gervais, Richardson and Whitehall in particular are genius in how the string together hilarious stories. Nothing cheap or shouty about it Smile

yeah the oldies are more likely to make 'jokes' where the punchline is merely they said something risque   Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

modern Humor is far more intellectual, even the old greats like Python are pretty Childish if you watch them 'honestly' now.  

Also In the Past a lot of Comedy was 'look at that Minority, aren't they silly/different, Laugh at them '. 
where as now it is far more introspective 'look at Us, aren't we silly/different, Laugh at yourself' 

or the Inverse of the old with the Minority being the one on stage
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:53 am

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Hahaha!

I find myself very much in agreement with much of what Vic posted: How on earth some of today's so-called "genius" stand-up comedians can get away with walking onto a stage, saying something no more erudite than "fuck off" and then basking in the glory of rapturous applause and whoops of joy from their studio audience escapes me.

Maybe it is because so many of the TV studio audiences at recording sessions are carefully selected and invited B-list "celebrities" themselves.

Are You talking about Billy Connolly?

he was the last guy to get away with that ...... long before I was born because that act is totally OLD!!!! like used by date 1980  Razz Razz Razz Razz
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:52 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

Are You talking about Billy Connolly?

he was the last guy to get away with that ...... long before I was born because that act is totally OLD!!!! like used by date 1980  Razz Razz Razz Razz

1. No.

2. Maybe you don't watch the same sort of "alternative" comedy that my grandchildren watch when they are at my place.

3. Perhaps your preferences are somewhat less erudite than my own.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down