NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Words Fail Me: Oxford college bans octopus from menu in bid to make disadvantaged students feel more 'comfortable'

5 posters

Go down

Words Fail Me: Oxford college bans octopus from menu in bid to make disadvantaged students feel more 'comfortable' Empty Words Fail Me: Oxford college bans octopus from menu in bid to make disadvantaged students feel more 'comfortable'

Post by Guest Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:53 pm

An Oxford college president has demanded that octopus is removed from the menu as part of a drive to make disadvantaged students feel more “comfortable”.

Baroness Jan Royall, head of Somerville, said she has wants to “change the culture” of the college to make sure it is “welcoming for all”.

The Labour peer told how following a complaint from a first-year student about an octopus terrine dish, she has now instructed Somerville’s catering staff to replace it with a less adventurous alternative.

The eight-legged dish, which featured as the starter at the Freshers’ welcome dinner last year, will not appear on the menu at next year’s event.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2019/01/17/oxford-college-bans-octopus-menu-bid-make-disadvantaged-students/

Which further proves my point. There is idiots on the left that make this tewn times worse.

So now all students cannot have sea food based on one student complaining

WTF
This mentality, is against progression

Back to top Go down

Words Fail Me: Oxford college bans octopus from menu in bid to make disadvantaged students feel more 'comfortable' Empty Re: Words Fail Me: Oxford college bans octopus from menu in bid to make disadvantaged students feel more 'comfortable'

Post by Syl Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:55 pm

Octopus are very intelligent, I'm glad they are off the menu. snobby
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Words Fail Me: Oxford college bans octopus from menu in bid to make disadvantaged students feel more 'comfortable' Empty Re: Words Fail Me: Oxford college bans octopus from menu in bid to make disadvantaged students feel more 'comfortable'

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:22 am

Words Fail Me: Oxford college bans octopus from menu in bid to make disadvantaged students feel more 'comfortable' 3974176704

This isn't a "left" vs. "right" problem...

It is a distinctly "British 'Class' system" problem..

People in Australia and NZ, and on both coasts of the USA --  where octopus and squid ("Calamari") are not upper class or fancy/'hoity-toity' dishes,  but are reasonably cheap and affordable to all --  would be laughing their heads of at this kind of spurious nonsense.
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:31 am

Why would anyone want to eat Octopus ? It's like eating a rubber tyre. People eat it just to show off in my opinion. " Look at me, I'm eating Octopus" ! Leave the poor buggers alone. In most cases they are more intelligent than those who are eating them Laughing
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:58 pm

nicko wrote:Why would anyone want to eat Octopus ?   It's like eating a rubber tyre.  People eat it just to show off in my opinion. " Look at me, I'm eating Octopus" !  Leave the poor buggers alone. In most cases they are more intelligent than those who are eating them Laughing

I agree, it's rubbery. But in small measures, it adds texture to salads...particularly with strong citrus dressings. It's popular in San Francisco restaurants.

But I agree, it's not a good dish alone.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:00 pm

Original Quill wrote:
nicko wrote:Why would anyone want to eat Octopus ?   It's like eating a rubber tyre.  People eat it just to show off in my opinion. " Look at me, I'm eating Octopus" !  Leave the poor buggers alone. In most cases they are more intelligent than those who are eating them Laughing

I agree, it's rubbery.  But in small measures, it adds texture to salads...particularly with strong citrus dressings.  It's popular in San Francisco restaurants.

Its lovely in pasta, with baby clams

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:05 pm

Thor wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I agree, it's rubbery.  But in small measures, it adds texture to salads...particularly with strong citrus dressings.  It's popular in San Francisco restaurants.

Its lovely in pasta, with baby clams

Yes, pasta too. There are many dishes that require the texture.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:33 pm

One...repeat, one...student complains that an octopus meal somehow breaches the bounds of "culture" and "inclusivity" (and probably that he or she might possibly have been "offended), and the college President immediately springs into action and peremptorily bans everyone else from eating an eight-armed cephalopod mollusk dish.

For Christ's sake......

Mind you, years ago when fishing off the Spanish coast just south of Valencia, the net dragged up a medium sized octopus which managed to untangle itself in the bottom of the boat, causing sheer panic among the three anglers (self included) therein.

Delicious though the bloody thing may well have been - even with baby clams - it was unceremoniously prodded with oars until it had to good sense to bale out...before we did!

Ps: Why am I not surprised that the ban-happy, oh-so-politically-correct college President also happens to be a Labour Party apparatchik?
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:40 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:One...repeat, one...student complains that an octopus meal somehow breaches the bounds of "culture" and "inclusivity" (and probably that he or she might possibly have been "offended), and the college President immediately springs into action and peremptorily bans everyone else from eating an eight-armed cephalopod mollusk dish.

For Christ's sake......

Mind you, years ago when fishing off the Spanish coast just south of Valencia, the net dragged up a medium sized octopus which managed to untangle itself in the bottom of the boat, causing sheer panic among the three anglers (self included) therein.

Delicious though the bloody thing may well have been - even with baby clams
- it was unceremoniously prodded with oars until it had to good sense to bale out...before we did!

Ps: Why am I not surprised that the ban-happy, oh-so-politically-correct college President also happens to be a Labour Party apparatchik?

ha ha ha, that is hilarious Fred

I can litterally picture you all in sheer panic

Brilliant and very funny story

Well deserves a green

+1

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:43 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:One...repeat, one...student complains that an octopus meal somehow breaches the bounds of "culture" and "inclusivity" (and probably that he or she might possibly have been "offended), and the college President immediately springs into action and peremptorily bans everyone else from eating an eight-armed cephalopod mollusk dish.

For Christ's sake......

Delicious though the bloody thing may well have been - even with baby clams - it was unceremoniously prodded with oars until it had to good sense to bale out...before we did!

In Spain we saw a local fisherman get ink squirted in the face by an octopus he had caught....it quite amused me, but sadly he held on to it and killed it. Crying or Very sad
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down