NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should You Be Forced to Retire? | Good Morning Britain

5 posters

Go down

Should You Be Forced to Retire? | Good Morning Britain Empty Should You Be Forced to Retire? | Good Morning Britain

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:28 pm

An 88-year-old woman, Eileen Jolly is suing her employer for age discrimination as she was fired from her job as NHS secretary. James Whale and Andy West debate whether or not you should be forced to retire.

Back to top Go down

Should You Be Forced to Retire? | Good Morning Britain Empty Re: Should You Be Forced to Retire? | Good Morning Britain

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:42 pm

Thor wrote:An 88-year-old woman, Eileen Jolly is suing her employer for age discrimination as she was fired from her job as NHS secretary. James Whale and Andy West debate whether or not you should be forced to retire.

It's a bit of a hot one that.   Because even those over a certain age have the right to earn a living.   If she's hale and hearty at 88, and wants to work, who has the right to say no.   It could be argued that she needs to make way for younger people, but why can't  younger people go out and find their own jobs?   If we have to bring in migrants to fill work vacancies, then there should be jobs for all.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Should You Be Forced to Retire? | Good Morning Britain Empty Re: Should You Be Forced to Retire? | Good Morning Britain

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:46 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Thor wrote:An 88-year-old woman, Eileen Jolly is suing her employer for age discrimination as she was fired from her job as NHS secretary. James Whale and Andy West debate whether or not you should be forced to retire.

It's a bit of a hot one that.   Because even those over a certain age have the right to earn a living.   If she's hale and hearty at 88, and wants to work, who has the right to say no.   It could be argued that she needs to make way for younger people, but why can't  younger people go out and find their own jobs?   If we have to bring in migrants to fill work vacancies, then there should be jobs for all.

On the same page as you on this Horatio. 

Though on one issue, I do believe we should introduce driving tests every ten years. More so with when people do get older their reaction times become slower. So to me is more of a safety issue, but on most other jobs, I fail to see why people cannot go on working if they want to into old age

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:02 pm

The only thing that should preclude you from getting and holding a job is not being able to do it. This is horse shit.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:02 pm

Well, you won't get any argument from me.
Most of my relatives have worked past retirement age whether employed or self employed, some worked into their eighties being self employed, the employed ones had to finish at 75 though being in government employ.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:10 pm

Neutral

Jobs in general should be "merit based", not based on some nominal factors (age, weight, gender, ethnicity, nepotism..).

Some people in their 70s and 80s can be still quite able to work in their particular occupations, whereas others that many of us will have seen over the years were already "over the hill" while still in their 20s.
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:05 am

I think you should be able to 'encourage/force' them to retire but through redundancy
I'm not sure about the other nations but here redundancy payouts (particularly with long service) can be very significant.
I personally don't see the problem with wanting to 'restructure' but if that is costing someone their job through no fault of their own then they should be financially compensated.

I don't think it should be a universal rule, if you still add value to your employer and they want you then they should be able to like anyone else.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down